Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Critique My Fort: Roadtruss (completed Mega project)  (Read 34760 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Critique My Fort: Roadtruss (completed Mega project)
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 07:25:44 am »

Sieges are recorded in legends mode in reasonable detail. Go to legends mode and select the current age. You will see a list of all events that happened in that age. Scroll down to the botom and you will find a record of the attacks that your fortress suffered. Select one and then press enter. You will get a window that gives you a lot of detail on the siege, from the number of attackers and defenders, what race and animals were involved, the notable events that occurred in the battle, who killed who and the number of casualties on each side. With your excellent storytelling, I'm convinced that you'll be able to create a gripping narrative from the information there.
I did not know that!
I'll be hounest, for a long time I never had much reason to use Legend mode until now. So I never got a hang of many of the details of it.

Given time I would love to go back and put into words some of the other battles. There where quite a few epic fights.

I think for me, what sets a fort aart from others is what ELSE happens.
At the time I didn't give much thought to the sieges because, well, EVERYONE got sieges and such.
The stories I had the most fun with where the oddball ones. 
The Caveswallow man killing a forgotton beast with his shield, his SHIELD.
And of course a single stray Elephant that held whole City in terror.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 07:41:00 am »

A really inspiring piece of engineering you have there. It makes me want to attempt again at making a clear glass tower for my dwarves to live in.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 07:44:55 am »

A really inspiring piece of engineering you have there. It makes me want to attempt again at making a clear glass tower for my dwarves to live in.

This makes me imagine a glorious tower of glass on a wide open plain.  Dwarves run naked through it wielding weapons, all are insane to some degree or other from conflict or loss.  As the spiral of witnessed death and revenge goes on, a caravan of elves arrive to trade.  They gaze upon the genocide running rampant through the transparent fort and simply shrug their shoulders with indifference.  This is a dwarf fortress, after all. 

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 11:36:32 am »

Holy CRAP!
I never knew just how many goblins I've kileld till now! There are mountains of dead in the legends files.!

This should be a bit more fun then I thought putting these battles together in story form ;)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 02:59:40 pm »

EDIT:
Wanted to add the download for the map here :
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5943

give others a chance to view and critique more :)

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 04:14:18 pm »

Sim Tower was a pretty cool game.

Telekinesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 02:06:34 am »

According to your screenshot under The Zoo the FB was named Litheme Ocisanene rather then Sitheme Ocisanene as you have it named in the last spoiler.  Just a minor detail of course.  Fascinating fortress, getting the patterns on the floor, especially on the main floor must have been a ton of work.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 08:51:36 am »

Oh noes!  Photobucket why?  WHY?

Would you mind exporting the map for DFMA ( http://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php )?  Or allow someone to do so form the save file?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 09:04:49 am »

imgur.com or img.ie

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 05:23:46 pm »

Oh noes!  Photobucket why?  WHY?

Would you mind exporting the map for DFMA ( http://mkv25.net/dfma/index.php )?  Or allow someone to do so form the save file?

Hey whats wrong with photo bucket? :P
At least it doens't give you constant popups like some of the other image hosters out there :P
And I would LOVE to upload it to DFMA, but I never got the knack of how to load file :< If you can help I'd appreciate!

Also I'd been curious of feed for some of the "Sagas" curious if they were actually read, of if how Epic anyone thought they were.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 05:59:15 pm »

The images went over bandwidth :P

I'll throw the last one up on img.ie once I figure out why it keeps claiming it isn't a real image file, just so folks can see it in it's glory until the image gets worked out.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 06:19:00 pm »

This makes me imagine a glorious tower of glass on a wide open plain.  Dwarves run naked through it wielding weapons, all are insane to some degree or other from conflict or loss.  As the spiral of witnessed death and revenge goes on, a caravan of elves arrive to trade.  They gaze upon the genocide running rampant through the transparent fort and simply shrug their shoulders with indifference.  This is a dwarf fortress, after all.

Hehe thanks for this. Currently practicing actually layouts for when I attempt this properly. When I do it it'll be in a desert for added challenge. Hopefully just like how you described as well :).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 06:30:57 pm »

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)
sorry it's in .gif format, but Img.ie isn't letting me upload it as a .png.   Keeps saying it's not a real image file *shrug* used them for a year and never had them not accept an image before.  And I don't wanna just direct link them in my dropbox when I don't know their policy on image hosting like that.

Anyway thats there until Crossroads can get something worked out.  I have other images, but not sure I have them all, and there were a bunch screenshots that came out badly too, so I don't wanna just upload the whole folder.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 10:47:09 pm »

Bandwidth?
BANDWIDTH???

I didn't know photobucket did bandwidth.... How RUDE! >:(
Not sure what to recommend for putting up the images.  :/

And I still not sure how to put a file into DFMA, usually I try and load a zip file  but that doesn't work.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 12:20:28 am »

Bandwidth?
BANDWIDTH???

I didn't know photobucket did bandwidth.... How RUDE! >:(
Not sure what to recommend for putting up the images.  :/

And I still not sure how to put a file into DFMA, usually I try and load a zip file  but that doesn't work.
I dislike Photobucket because they seem to have a relatively low bandwidth limit.  I don't think I've ever seen a image "over bandwidth" on Imgur, however.  I haven't used it much myself, but it is very easy to setup and account and get files uploaded.  I've no info on the one Grieger used; it has the annoying (to me) pop-up window that doesn't go full screen (the other thing about Photobucket that drives me up a wall), but unlike Photobucket you can still actually view a full sized version of the image.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4