Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will the next one have the water freeze too?

Yes, first winter
- 4 (50%)
Yes, but only after a few winters
- 0 (0%)
No, something worse will happen
- 2 (25%)
No, you'll try a desert and there will be no water to freeze
- 1 (12.5%)
Just give up
- 1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: My First Fun  (Read 3798 times)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
My First Fun
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:27:54 am »

So I'd started my first game. It was confusing, there were way too many options, but I went with the wiki and did okay.

And then when winter started all the water I could find froze up and everybody died of thirst within about 10 minutes. :o
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My First Fun
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:27:54 am »

Next fortress is in the middle of the swamp, hopefully the whole place won't freeze this time. Drown, maybe, but not freeze.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:16:37 am »

Yep. They'll drown :D

Want to document your fortress like a bloodlines?
What do you think? Yes? No?

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 03:22:34 pm »

Set any water to restricted traffic(press d, then o) they'll then avoid getting too close :) And booze is very important to get up and running quickly, if you haven't already maybe go through one of the tutorials to show you the basics.

And lol give him a chance to learn the game before doing that hehe.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:04:12 pm »

I don't seem to be able to get my buildings actually built.

But that's okay, because my only goal is Fun.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 09:26:47 pm »

All the water froze. Again.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 02:30:17 am »

Before you embark, look at the temperatures - cold, freezing and temperate will often have large bodies of frozen water, warm and scorching areas don't freeze at all

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 03:28:07 am »

I'm not sure he realises that dwarves don't really drink water, they want booze. Booze is their water, and they drink 3 times as much booze as they eat.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 05:29:13 pm »

I finally figured out how to make the damn dwarves build, so I've got a still.

Next question: does a well have to be directly above water, or can it be a bit off to the side? I don't want to build on emptiness.

ETA: Made it to spring this time, yay. Water didn't freeze. We might still starve, though, because the farms aren't producing much. Or maybe they just made everything into beer?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:33:49 pm by GuesssWho »

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:48:31 pm »

Always great to see someone new getting into the game, GuessWho! I think you should check out http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Quickstart_guide, it really helps a lot! Also when I was starting a Succession game for new players I watched Let's Plays online to see how other people did things.

The wiki is a fantastic resource, though! The quick-guide linked above has all the most important links in it. Another good page to always have open when playing is the Guide to Rocks, and there are similar guides for crops and other things you should check out as well!

Here's the wiki page on wells if you're going to build one. It does need to be built on an open space square, but you could make one by Channeling (check the quickstart guide).

Best of luck with everything, GuessWho! Stick to it and you'll be doing great in no time! :)

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:56:10 pm »

Got a butcher's shop, so food isn't too low anymore. A dwarf got possessed and made an animal trap out of green zircon, encrusted with . . . green zircon. Okaaay.

ETA: Elephants are bad, right?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:02:09 am by GuesssWho »

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 04:16:36 pm »

Well, they're still alive. Although I haven't played in a couple days, so that probably saved them.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 06:36:06 pm »

Wow, I used to be clueless about DF, like you. Then I took a two hour's wiki read to the brain.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13