Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 86

Author Topic: Roll to Be Heroic (On hold)  (Read 175472 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be Heroic
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 09:57:07 pm »

((All cultural works referenced by Thomas are mostly fictional. It's funnier that way.))

"Awesome! Maybe I'll get to be like Varu. I'd be the best ronin, protecting the innocent while defeating whatever cosmic evils they send me at. 'By the Errant Blade, all who stand in my way shall fall before me, as fish to the fisherman!'

Well, maybe not a ronin if I'm working for the government. Still cool though."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 10:46:13 pm »

Desmond shook his head, feeling the pain subside a bit quicker then he had imagine it would...then the shock of what was he was just told hit him. His first feeling was one of panic...

What about my friends! My Family! My Job!

Then, his interior voice (which sounded like a much younger Desmond) chided and reminded him. You don't have any friends, or family. Your job was all you ever had-you gave them up for it. And you were losing the job too. Tough economy, remember?

With that, he shrugged. Might as well roll with it, he mused. Could be fun...

Hell. Mid-Life crisis over. Time to live for real.

He looked around. What's with all these kids...

"..heh. Guess I don't owe my ex-wife alimony anymore.

Anyway, nice to meet you all. You can call me Desmond.

My name is preferable to  'geezer' or 'gramps'. I'm only 34, stop asking!"
Of course, no one had asked. :(

Action: ACCEPT the deal
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 10:58:54 am »

Waiting on freeformschooler.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 12:04:26 pm »

In case I'm gone for over two days you can feel free to auto. I have been swamped by real life lately.

"THINK DEAL IS GOOD," said John. "WHAT ELSE WOULD WE DO?"

John accepts without hesitation.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be Heroic - Turn Two! In which you trained for heroics
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 01:11:35 pm »

It's turn two.  I guess I don't need the "Everybody Escapes and goes on a Superpowered Rampage" script.  And I was so looking forward to that.
freeformschooler: Ok.

Waylon Brown enters the room again once everyone has reached a consensus.  "Ok, it looks like you've agreed to work for us.  I'm not surprised, it's a good job.  Has dental.  You'll all be moved to our Aventin base of operations over the next few days.  Until then, please try to recover from your injuries as best you can... not that that will be difficult, judging by your current rates of healing."
After only four days each one of you is fully healed and has been moved to a facility underneath downtown Aventin.  You are introduced to Dr. Richard Colt and Agent John Wash.
"Hello, my name is Dr. Colt, and I'm going to be your own personal Q."
"I'm Agent Wash, or Whip Lash, if you prefer codenames.  I'll be your trainer."
It is explained to you that while some equipment and training comes standard for all field agents of the FDSPA, everybody has the option of an extra piece of equipment and extra training before their first assignment.  The standard equipment is a thermal and electrically insulating bodysuit with utility belt, a full-face mask with lenses providing defense against bright light as well as night and infrared vision, in-ear devices providing radio scanning and communications as well as defense against loud noise, boots with retractable cleats and spikes, and two flashbang and two smoke grenades.  Standard training is in marksmanship and hand-to-hand combat.
Before you receive powers training and are sent on your first patrol you need to choose an extra piece of equipment and training.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:42:53 pm by Remalle »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 01:23:36 pm »

((Well, our characters have some common sense; even if they wanted to go on a rampage they do not even know their superpowers. It would be too risky. What could possibly be better than having the goverment teach you how to use your powers and then use these against them?))

Nicholas scratches his chin...
"I would like to take robotic classes, if those are available. Ah, and I would like to receive a sniper rifle, if possible...Although (grumbling) power armor is way preferred...(grumbling)"
He was a determined fella.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:43:16 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 01:40:24 pm »

"I'll take a katana, and teach me to use it."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 01:42:02 pm »

Jennifer looked over the lists of what there was to choose.

"I think I'll take... a grappling apparatus of some sort, like a strong whip or retractable cable, and training in how to use it effectively."

(ninja'd, lol, same idea...)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 01:53:44 pm »

Caellath raised a good question on what the limits on choosing equipment are.  I'm going to say as long as you can realistically carry it around it's acceptable, so yes to a sniper rifle, but that's about the limit.  Also, be reasonable.  No handheld nukes.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 04:17:33 pm »

"HMMM... COULD USE BETTER SELF DEFENSE. HOW ABOUT..." John flipped through the lists. "FIRST AID KIT AND MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING?"

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 01:13:58 am »

Waiting on Dwarmin.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 07:41:08 am »

Action:
Equipment/Hero's Shield (ala Captain America)
Training/Advanced Personal Defense Training
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be Heroic - Turn Three! In which you finally gain superpowers.
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 03:03:47 pm »

Turn Three!  We're now officially three turns past the point I thought this game would die.  Now it's wall of text time again.

After two grueling weeks of training with Agent Wash and various more specialized trainers you are all deemed ready for your first patrols.
Everybody except Nicholas is trained in handgun usage (+1 to hit with a handgun), while Nicholas is trained in rifle usage instead (+1 to hit with rifles).  Everybody is trained in hand-to-hand combat (+1 to hit in hand-to-hand), and Desmond and John take advanced courses (+1 to hand-to-hand damage).  Thomas and Jennifer opt for weapon specializations; Thomas is trained in katana usage and Jennifer is trained for grapnel combat (+1 to hit with katana and grapnel, respectively).  Finally, Nicholas takes an introductory course in robotics, and can build a simple robot between missions that will assist him in a minor way.
Powers testing has determined that everybody got similar powers, each focused in a different way.  Commonalities include a base physical enhancement that about doubles healing speed, increases physical strength and speed to the human peak, and an intelligence boost to genius levels.
Desmond Green is able to absorb kinetic energy from impacts while concentrating, store the energy within his own body, and focus it back out of his body through his hands, feet, or mouth.  The second law of thermodynamics is preserved; the net energy never increases nor decreases.  If he keeps storing energy without expelling it the energy is used to fuel his body instead, removing his need to eat, but this works in reverse, too; if Desmond uses more energy than he has stored he'll find himself extremely hungry.
Thomas Jackson got one of the more interesting powers.  He can alter his own perception of time to a maximum of four times faster or four times slower.  Obviously, if he were to alter his perception of time so the world was moving four times slower, everyone else would see him moving four times faster.  Each time Thomas uses his power he must spend an equal amount of time in the opposite state before he can use his power again.  If he were to spend one minute of his time moving twice our time, he would at some future point in time have to spend one minute of his time half as fast as our time, at which point he would be free to use his power again.
John Strong got another interesting power, the ability to alter mass.  The law of conservation of mass is preserved, however; he must take or give that mass from another object, most easily the ground beneath him though he can alter the mass of any object.  John can increase or decrease mass to a maximum of a factor of four.  While increasing the mass of any other object simply makes it heavier, it appears that increasing his own mass increases John's strength as well.  On the other hand, while decreasing the mass of another object simply makes it lighter, if John decreases his own mass he becomes intangible.
Nicholas Fortmüller got a power extremely similar to Desmond's, but with thermal instead of kinetic energy.  The same advantages and disadvantages apply, though Nicholas doesn't appear to be able to convert thermal energy to body energy within his own body as efficiently.  This means that Nicholas is storing around 10% of the energy he's absorbed as thermal energy, so he needs to make sure he doesn't internally overheat or become hypothermic from storing or expelling too much energy.
Jennifer Maxwell is similar to Desmond and Nicholas in her power, focusing on electromagnetic energy.  She appears to be able to absorb any kind of electromagnetic energy and emit it as any other electromagnetic energy type.  There are some interesting applications; by absorbing light she can become invisible, she can emit magnetic waves and tune them to the Earth's magnetic field to hover, she can even change the light spectra she's capable of seeing.  Like Nicholas the storage of energy in her body isn't as efficient as Desmond's, as after absorbing large amounts of electromagnetic energy she begins to glow in random wavelengths.

Over the next five days everyone gets the opportunity to go on a patrol, unaccompanied save for Agent Wash.  As they are only their first missions, Waylon Brown doesn't authorize anybody to use lethal force, even in self-defense.  At the end of the week he debriefs everybody on their first patrols.
"Agent Green, you were the first to get out in the field.  You encountered [3] three men savagely beating an old lady.  They were armed with aluminum baseball bats.
"Agent Jackson, you were next.  On your patrol you encountered [2] a mugging.  The perpetrator had a gun.
"Agent Strong, you had the third night's patrol.  [4] A carjacking is what you stumbled upon.  The thief was armed with a gun.
"Agent Fortmüller, you were the next.  On your night out [5] you happened upon an arsonist.  He was unarmed save for the gasoline tank and his lighter.
"Agent Maxwell, you were the last to have a chance to patrol.  You encountered [3] a fight, two young men with crowbars on another man with a knife.
"Each of you, in turn, please describe to me in your own words.  What did you do first?"

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:41:25 pm by Remalle »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 03:47:58 pm »

Were we noticed immediately, or did we have the potential opportunity to sneak up on the criminals?

((Are things I'm carrying (watches, guns) subject to my temporal manipulations? Is there some limit to my time storage, or am I able to store a few hours of 4x time from my off-duty time between missions? If I have a few hours of 4x time usable, can I cut that into several pieces, or do I need to release it all at once? [It might work better to give me a temporal "battery" of x minutes, and assume I charge it between missions.]))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 03:56:11 pm »

Nicholas scratched his chin.
"Well, my first action was quickly moving towards him and using the butt of the rifle against the bottom of his chin, to get him unconscious."
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 86