Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding help please  (Read 1676 times)

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding help please
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:34:49 am »

I am trying to create a dog caste that hopefully will be able to deal with the undead, can someone check it and see if it is correct.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I named the new caste FOO_DOG. I wanted to have one foo dog for every 20 normal dogs, and added the [CAN_LEARN] tag. I added the skill rate tags so that they don't show up with professions. I also gave it a syndrome  which targets [SUPERNATURAL], hopefully targeting zombies, werewolves and vampires. This syndrome is produced by the foo dog as a material emission of undirected vapour type.

Secondly, if I wanted to build a screw pump type of building but with the added ability to produce undirected vapour, how would I go about it.

Third, is it possible to make a metal that upon contact with water will produce a material emission capable of infecting a creature with a syndrome?   

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding help please
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:49 pm »

The foo dog has some odd properties like negative grass trample and a few extra spaces. Adding [CAN_LEARN] to fortress animals also has strange effects, and may make them need meat and water like Tigermen.

That said, it's definitely an achievable goal to create dedicated anti-undead dogs.

The custom screwpump can't be done. Constructions and workshops cannot perform true material emissions; only creatures can. If it has to be directional you should create a lobotomized tame dragon that merely suffers delusions of being a special flaming screwpump and then pasture it near your entrance. Lots of people have done turret mods this way.

The silver-lined well won't work either for the same reason. You need to create a liquid bearing the syndrome and get it into the well somehow. This could be a custom creature blood (look for the Fountain of Eternal Life with search, which uses vampire blood from a live vampire) or an agricultural extract.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:47:38 pm »

[CAN_LEARN] also makes the creature inedible to creatures that shun eating intelligent creatures.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:21:02 pm »

Wasn't there some way to make it so that custom buildings were operated from outside the building itself, even unto the other sides of walls? I thought there was a Fences mod that used that effect somehow. If so, you might be able to make such a workshop that has a reaction that creates a vaporstone that boils to create the desired effects. You could place the workshop in your entrance hallway, operate it from the other side of one of the walls, and just have somebody run the reaction on repeat to make a constant cloud of vapor around the workshop while the operator was safely out of sight.

IIRC, the outside operation ability was doable because the workshop's actual dimensions and the xy coordinates of the square the workshop is operated from aren't actually required to be corrected, so for instance you could have a workshop that's 3x3 and operated from x=5 y=17 from the reference point (the upper-left corner IIRC). Since items that are created by a workshop are created in the workshop itself, this would work, but you'd need one custom shop for every possible distance you wanted it to be operated from, i.e. one for working from the west, one from the east, one from north, one from south, etc.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:54:58 pm »

3x3 and operated from x=5 y=17

This is interesting :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:45:04 pm »

The negative grass trample is an experiment to see if it is possible to create a creature with green feet, ie to cause grass to grow. Where are the extra spaces, I am not that experienced in modding and there are some parts of the food dog that I copied from other creatures. I did add [CAN_LEARN] to dogs before, and the only odd thing that I noticed is that they were listed with the dwarves. I also didn't notice them eating . I don't mind having the foo dog non butcherable after all, there are other meat animals.

Can you suggest me a mod with turrets to check out?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 03:28:41 pm »

*g*

Read my signature :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 10:29:38 am »

I have created two creatures that are supposed to act as turrets inspired by Masterwork DF and taking some elements from the bronze colossus. The reason I did it this way was to avoid adding the necessary parts to the body text.

The first is called Guardian, hopefully it will be able to cause any supernatural creature to burst into flame. Here is the raw:

The second one is called Artic Wind. It is supposed to lower the surrounding temperature. The raws for it are below.

I would be grateful for any help with this two.

I have also added an inorganic material called Deathbane. The following is its raw.

There is also a new reaction called MAKE_DEATHBANE. Here is the raw for this reaction.

I have also added this line;
[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_DEATHBANE]
to the mountain entity section.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 11:39:31 am »

[CE_ADD_TAG:HOMEOTHERM:25000]
That doesn't actually work - CE_ADD_TAG only allows a very specific set of tokens.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

blake77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 12:07:41 pm »

How would I cause a creature to burst into flames or freeze using syndromes?

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 01:06:48 pm »

How would I cause a creature to burst into flames or freeze using syndromes?

Were-transform the target into a flaming skull football. This example works because it has a (lone) bodypart that is [FUNCTIONAL], [THOUGHT] and made of compressed hellfire. It survives for one tick of the clock and then detonates in an unnecessarily hot cloud of gas. The temperature is a bit extreme for fortress mode and may melt and burn things you don't expect.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101264.msg3110555#msg3110555
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 10:08:37 pm »

Make sure whatever creature you use gets [CANNOT_UNDEAD], for obvious reasons.