Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Odd goblin anatomy: Bug or intended?  (Read 10982 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Odd goblin anatomy: Bug or intended?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 03:47:55 pm »

The brain is handled in a special case anyway (as are the lungs, but the heart I'm not so sure about), so I wouldn't be surprised if the game treated them specially when choosing how to describe injuries to them.

I do find it amusing to read when a goblin's guts is broken (sic), however.

Slightly off topic, but I'd like to see those broken kidneys and pancreases matter more directly one day.  Well, I'm sure it's planned, but I'd like to see it sooner than later.  It's kind of frustrating in a way to have dwarves walking around with rotten stomachs and pancreases from syndromes and nothing ever happens to them. ???
Through pain, I find wisdom.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 03:55:42 pm »

The brain is handled in a special case anyway (as are the lungs, but the heart I'm not so sure about), so I wouldn't be surprised if the game treated them specially when choosing how to describe injuries to them.

I distinctly recall seeing goblins or dwarves with broken hearts before. I was amused.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »

yet brains get "torn apart" and hearts and lungs can become bruised, while bones become chipped or shattered.

you forgot to mention that bones can get "bruised" as well.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 04:18:24 pm »

I have a what I believe to be a bone bruise on my left first finger (to use DF-speak). So annoying what casually whacking a finger/hand into quarter-inch steel plate as you walk past can do.  :'(

I distinctly recall seeing goblins or dwarves with broken hearts before. I was amused.
An elf broke the heart of one of the horses at my fortress once ... the horse then stomped the elf's head in.  I had a good laugh when I saw that part of the ambush. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 04:24:33 pm »

An elf broke the heart of one of the horses at my fortress once ... the horse then stomped the elf's head in.  I had a good laugh when I saw that part of the ambush. ;)
Aaaaaand... That's a sig.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 06:05:23 pm »

The brain is handled in a special case anyway (as are the lungs, but the heart I'm not so sure about)

No, not really. If you were to change the brain's material to iron, it would be fractured/chipped/shattered etc. and you would be struck down from that. It's the material, not the tissue, that determines the damage type the tissue gets.

Captain Crazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 06:21:13 pm »

I think organs could be broken-'broken skin' is a valid medical term and I guess organs are just big meaty things, and skin is meaty too, so put meat and meat together and this post makes sense?
I usually think of Armok as the pure essence of FUCK YOU!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 07:02:25 pm »

wait....... no one else mods thier goblins to have 6 arms?

What sort of sick fuck are you. You didn't give the dwarves ambulatory beards to balance things!?

Dwarves are ambulatory beards.

Anyway, I've seen this with dwarves too.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 07:04:40 pm »

Yeah, even if the dfwiki denies it, the heart and many organs can be broken, and not only metaphorically.

Also, I have a common case of shattering the enemies ribs and the piece(s?) actually shred a lung.

Thror251

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 09:52:30 pm »

Recently one of my hammerdwarfs was shot and had his heart "broken".
He bled to death soon after, but ran for a while and covered the whole road in a trail of dwarf blood.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 09:54:23 pm »

The brain is handled in a special case anyway (as are the lungs, but the heart I'm not so sure about)

No, not really. If you were to change the brain's material to iron, it would be fractured/chipped/shattered etc. and you would be struck down from that. It's the material, not the tissue, that determines the damage type the tissue gets.

I mostly meant that the game treats it special in that damaged brain = dead, but I suppose the implication was true: I assumed that the game did more special stuff with it as far as injury went too.

Actually, does changing the material of the brain really help keep you alive?  From what I understand, if damage gets through to the brain, no matter how minor, you're dead.  Of course, my experience is completely limited to fortress mode.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 10:03:32 pm »

Sometimes a dwarf may survive a bruising to thier brain, but they'll suffer from some kind of inhibition (passing out randomly for instance.)

However if they have the tag making them immune to brain damage (I dont recall the specifics, something like [NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT] or some such)then running thier head through will just piss them off.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 11:25:54 pm »

They don't just survive bruising of the brain (which is called a concussion, by the way).  There have been a couple of elven ambushers at one of my forts that survived multiple spear stabs to the brain in which the spear lodged firmly in the wound and was twisted around, only to be jammed back in again, and again, and again, before finally bleeding out (I suspect that particular dwarf was intentionally missing whatever portion of an elf brain controls the autonomic functions, allowing his victims to survive longer ??? ).

wait....... no one else mods thier goblins to have 6 arms?

What sort of sick fuck are you. You didn't give the dwarves ambulatory beards to balance things!?

Dwarves are ambulatory beards.
Dwarves aren't ambulatory beards.  Beards developed a "dwarf" organ to allow them to move around and breed.  This, of course, explains why all dwarves -- even newborn babes -- have hair beards.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 07:22:34 pm »

Actually, does changing the material of the brain really help keep you alive?  From what I understand, if damage gets through to the brain, no matter how minor, you're dead.  Of course, my experience is completely limited to fortress mode.
In fortress mode, I once pastured a bunch of grazers together. The water buffalo cow took it upon herself to butcher the others piecemeal; even though the donkey was holding its own by spraying water buffalo teeth around a surprisingly-large area, she managed to score five brain wounds against two other grazers before a goblin slew the llama, finally notifying me.

The remaining brain-damaged grazer was flashing the "needs medical attention" icon, and… not doing much else. It looks like in any real fight, a brain wound means they're ready for a coup de grace, but it doesn't constitute a kill unless it's bad enough. (A "skull through brain" result is usually a kill, though.)
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 07:43:11 pm »

I've seen way too many creatures die from bruised brains to believe that.
Pages: 1 [2]