Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.05 Released  (Read 71743 times)

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.05 Released
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2012, 12:31:55 pm »

Well captured, Findulidas!  I've had all three experiences in v 34.0x so far.

Ironically...the uber fort I have in my v 31.25 world is next to a...stream?  It just takes directly off the flow and has NEVER had an issue with stagnant water in the cistern or stream, even with me putting in a drawbridge dam and doing lots of other stuff!

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2012, 01:05:36 pm »

Thanks.

Had my first mist few mins ago, it only hit a cat but unfortunately the cat killed all seven dwarves alone. Even though they used 3 copper axes on it. I was speechless.

Haha the moment I embarked on the next fort everyone died in three seconds in a cloud. These things are way more dangerous than the rain.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:13:56 pm by Findulidas »
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2012, 08:06:18 pm »

Thanks.

Had my first mist few mins ago, it only hit a cat but unfortunately the cat killed all seven dwarves alone. Even though they used 3 copper axes on it. I was speechless.

Haha the moment I embarked on the next fort everyone died in three seconds in a cloud. These things are way more dangerous than the rain.

Well, you could always mod xenomorphs in as an entity so that the RNG selects their blood for rain.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

guebstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2012, 08:44:31 pm »

Ironically...the uber fort I have in my v 31.25 world is next to a...stream?  It just takes directly off the flow and has NEVER had an issue with stagnant water in the cistern or stream, even with me putting in a drawbridge dam and doing lots of other stuff!
Dito, plus my clean stream shares a sand wall with a stagnant pool.
He is the former holy fungus of The Fellowship of Hell

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2012, 12:16:36 am »

Does drawing your water from a stream/river through a diagonal help?
If stagnation is anything like Mist/pressure/miasma it might not go through diagonals.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2012, 03:48:14 am »

Dito, plus my clean stream shares a sand wall with a stagnant pool.

I think only when the water fills a spot which shares the wall that the dwarves have dug the stream would get stagnant. Also through a diagonal it would most likely be stagnant as well since it shares a wall.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2012, 03:51:17 am »

Well, you could always mod xenomorphs in as an entity so that the RNG selects their blood for rain.

Well there are dangerous rain types but most of the time I seem to run into the blood type which only gives bad thoughts. Terrifying biomes are hard enough as it is so I wouldnt need to mod in more stuff. If I dont die of the thing from above its the blind cave ogres or something like that which kills all dwarves.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2012, 08:46:24 am »

Does drawing your water from a stream/river through a diagonal help?
If stagnation is anything like Mist/pressure/miasma it might not go through diagonals.

So, you wanna fix not-moving water by making it move... slower? That made me chuckle. :P

guebstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2012, 03:27:16 pm »

I think only when the water fills a spot which shares the wall that the dwarves have dug the stream would get stagnant.

Sorry to belabor the issue, but what if all the shared wall contaminations, other than the obvious problems with pumps, are caused by toads and turtles moving between the stagnant water and the river? I've been experimenting with digging cisterns and channels that share walls with stagnant water and haven't been able to contaminate my brook, but I just noticed toads and lizards hanging out around another stagnant pool farther downstream, and now the brook near that pool is stagnant.

Also, where my brook is stagnant, on a few occasions, I have noticed that the stagnant water only moves about 7 squares upstream, and doesn't spread farther, at least not for the years I've observed the behavior. Fortunately, I don't have any stagnant pools anywhere near the upstream half of the brook. Perhaps the solution is to cap off all your stagnant pools before the toads can invade your clean water.
He is the former holy fungus of The Fellowship of Hell

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2012, 01:24:15 am »

Even if toads and turtles is the reason for the stagnation over walls the problem still lies in that one piece of stagnant water can permanently contaminate the whole river which mustnt be intended, it makes no sense what so ever.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]