Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.06 Released  (Read 68817 times)

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.06 Released
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2012, 08:09:40 pm »

Of course, if the hair can still move.. why wouldn't the thread spun from said hair also be able to move? It'd be like a giant, thin snake. Could probably wind itself up into a thicker rope if nobody else had already volunteered to do so, and curl itself around some necks.

I think autonomous hair is silly. Same with skin walking around. Even if frozen (so it wouldn't flop into a pile), skin would hardly have the thickness to support its own weight. Hair even less so. Bones, on the other hand, can easily support their own weight and that of a few limbs hanging off them. That said, there's also blob monsters that are even sillier. I have no idea how easy/hard it is to kill a monster made of flayed skin, but if it's as easy as it by all logic should be then I can't complain.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2012, 10:59:02 pm »

By the same logic then wouldn't skull totems and bone armour crafted from undead bones be  animated too? That would be amazing.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2012, 11:13:57 pm »

Only things capable of grasping can be animated, and only if they retain their approximate original form. That's the internal logic of the game.

Skin doesn't necessarily need to be able to support its own weight; it probably just flops along the ground. Horrific. The hair probably does the same thing.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2012, 05:01:10 am »

Only things capable of grasping can be animated, and only if they retain their approximate original form. That's the internal logic of the game.

Skin doesn't necessarily need to be able to support its own weight; it probably just flops along the ground. Horrific. The hair probably does the same thing.

Honestly though, a trained wardog in a mist is more dangerous than hair. Much more common as well.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2012, 09:14:13 am »

A bunch of migrants arrived just now, and on the square where they spawned is now a whole pile of jewelry made out of animal teeth. Every migrant is dropping his jewelry on that spot when he arrives, you can watch it grow.

Edit: And it's all unclaimed. They're now forming a congaline picking it up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:11:18 pm by xordae »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2012, 10:31:03 am »

But all that's a bit of a downer.  In concept, I like the changes, and I applaud them.  I'm sure it's just this particular machine going doolally-tap, or something.

Yup, so far 2.5 worldgens (out of 3 started, but this third is taking a while to get the maximum-sized world up to whatever century of life I extravagantly set the target as, to really strain the system) and no similar crashes/disappearances of the application.

Won't have time to play seriously with them, possibly, until after the weekend, but just wanted to give reassurances before I go off-forum for a while.

World gen crashes are being reported here.

They have to have grasps or heads, but yeah, presumably a skull totem is no longer recognized as a head.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:32:41 am by Footkerchief »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2012, 11:07:27 am »

A bunch of migrants arrived just now, and on the square where they spawned is now a whole pile of jewelry made out of animal teeth. Every migrant is dropping his jewelry on that spot when he arrives, you can watch it grow.

Confirming this. Bet my dwarves will go and pick it up at the worst possible moment, like when I activate my obsidian trap or during a gobbo ambush or something.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2012, 12:09:06 pm »

Is there a way to force dwarves to dump their owned tattered unusable clothes? I've only started playing and they did grab all the stuff lying around, but their garbage clothes are all left in their rooms.
<3

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2012, 12:29:24 pm »

Started as an adventurer in 34.06 and was asked to rid a town of its vampire. When I located and attacked the vampire, I discovered that she was carrying *hundreds* of crowns, amulets, and rings made out of human body parts in *each* hand, as well as wearing hundreds of human body part earrings on each ear. She was very easily beaten; in fact, I don't think she ever made an attack, probably because she was so encumbered by the thousands of pounds of crafts she was carrying/wearing.

I can't wonder that the townspeople were able to tell me the vampire's name and point me right to her, considering that she was so thoroughly festooned with the grisly trophies of her victims... :)

Thanks for the new version, Toady! Keep up the brilliant work! Can't wait for merchant caravans!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 12:31:13 pm by ShinWalks »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2012, 01:02:40 pm »

Started as an adventurer in 34.06 and was asked to rid a town of its vampire. When I located and attacked the vampire, I discovered that she was carrying *hundreds* of crowns, amulets, and rings made out of human body parts in *each* hand, as well as wearing hundreds of human body part earrings on each ear. She was very easily beaten; in fact, I don't think she ever made an attack, probably because she was so encumbered by the thousands of pounds of crafts she was carrying/wearing.

Excessive vampire trophy-wearing is on the bug tracker.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2012, 03:35:22 pm »

World gen crashes are being reported here.
I don't think I'm going to replicate the circumstances.  Am assuming it's because that machine was being very busy on other things at the time.  (Still shouldn't have happened, of course, but I don't think I can contribute many hard facts beyond this.  Could have been Windows doing the arbitrary plug-pulling, even.)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2012, 03:46:56 pm »

They have to have grasps or heads, but yeah, presumably a skull totem is no longer recognized as a head.

Is a head not a grasper? My adventurers seem to hold plenty of 'ammo' (lips, ears, fingers, that sort of thing) in their mouths.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

guebstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2012, 05:01:00 pm »

So... no more tax collector? Hmm.

Unlike .01-.05, my baron arrived with a Champion, Dungeon Master, and a Tax Collector.
He is the former holy fungus of The Fellowship of Hell

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2012, 05:24:55 pm »

A newly arrived migrant is refusing to drink or eat. He is just standing there on the bowyers' workshop he just built ocassionally moving around but never outside. His job description just say "No job" and yet he is refusing to eat and drink.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2012, 05:35:46 pm »

A newly arrived migrant is refusing to drink or eat. He is just standing there on the bowyers' workshop he just built ocassionally moving around but never outside. His job description just say "No job" and yet he is refusing to eat and drink.
You have almost definitely run into the classic impassable-workshop-tiles mistake; an easy one to make.  Bowyer's and jeweler's workshops are the most common.

From the wiki:  Take note that the entire left column of the workshop is impassable, making it easy to accidentally trap dwarves inside the workshop after it is built.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10