Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else experiencing graphical alignment-glitches with the new version?  (Read 1473 times)

rpn377

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hey guys,

I'm pretty much a noob at DF, but i've been having a great time failing over and over again.

I started out playing using the Lazy newb pack 31.25.  Everything worked great...

Since then, I got the newest version (34.05).  I noticed it's a lot more difficult and I get my ass kicked quicker, and I love it a lot more than 31.25 which starts out really slow/easy.  I like how it puts me on my toes early on..

However, certains parts are unplayable such as the trading screen.  I have these wierd graphical glitches.  I'm using the Pheobus tile set but the same problem exists with the Mayday one.  The problem exists even at the embark screen.

Exhibit A:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/472489/problem1.jpg
Exhibit B:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/472489/problem2.jpg

Numbers get "cut off", and screens get scrambled a little bit.

Am I doing this right?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile

1: Screenshoting tips: Alt->Printscreen captures only current window, so you don't need to crop it yourself. Saving as jpeg causes graphical artifacts, so is an ironic format to use when asking about graphical artifacts. You should save as png, it's higher quality and generally smaller than jpeg for all but photos. Please don't shrink the screenshots, it makes it hard to see what you're on about.

2: Turn off TrueType in the init.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile

Turning off TrueType will definitely help.
You'll find init.txt in /data/init. Look for TRUETYPE and change that parameter. The default for vanilla DF is [TRUETYPE:24], changing it to [TRUETYPE:NO] will make the game use a different font, and I'm not an expert in tilesets but that'll probably mess up your text a bit.

Those glitches shouldn't happen in the first place anyway. Do you have the same problems with 0.34.06? And are you using the newest tileset?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

rpn377

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

turns out, it was true type.  for some reason, it was on by default... or maybe i turned it on by accident.  I've never intentionally tried to do it, so i i never thought to check that.

Thanks for the help guys...

I thought the prettier lettering was a new feature or something =)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile

Well it is a new feature, but it's still pretty experimental.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile

You can also just hit F12 to toggle the use of true type fonts in the game.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Exactly what I do HiEv, the F12 toggle.  I usually leave it on for most wandering around, and MOST of the output is either unaffected, or affected to a very small degree, and still useable.  My personal opinion is that the TT font is easier on the eyes than the balloon text tileset fonts.  However, there will still be times that TT is text-breaking, and I'll have to toggle back to get the details of something.  Once I'm satisfied with the information, I toggle back.

All told, TT is a great emergent feature.  Toady is still actively improving upon it, and it will only get better.