Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Have you ever convinced someone to play DF?  (Read 5685 times)

Livonya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever convinced someone to play DF?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 02:08:53 pm »

I have never even tried to get someone to play DF, as I try to keep my inner nerd to myself unless dealing with other nerds.

But I listen to the DF podcasts at work, and my co-worker has heard them all.  She doesn't play games, but she enjoys the concept of DF development and the personality of Toady.  And lately she has commented a few times that it has been a long time since there was a DF podcast.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 05:59:10 pm »

One of my friends only plays it if I'm over teamspeak telling him to. He has had 2 forts and they both got necro-wrecked, lol.
Another one plays by himself with no encouragement.
Another one enjoys the story that comes out of it.
Another one downloaded it but never had the drive to play it.

And I was playing it and encouraged them all to do above mentioned things.

Hell yeah, I'm awesome.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 12:43:51 am »

If by 'convince' you mean 'told my sister "Hey, you can turn creatures into a fine red mist and read detailed combat logs of their being rent limb from limb" and then got friction burn from how fast she rushed past me to download it', then yes. I've never managed to convince someone of its awesomeness, though, just informed them that Dwarf Fortress existed and watched their eyes light up.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 03:52:00 am »

I managed to draw interest of several gamer friends by telling the stories of epic adventures and even more epic bugs that help to create hilarious situations, but when they saw the interface, they quickly backed out.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 05:06:04 am »

I got 2 people to try, the other gave up pretty fast though, I think.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 08:35:49 am »

Why yes, yes I have.
Pages: 1 2 [3]