Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF?

Bug #535: Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
- 30 (9.1%)
Bug #1582: Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors and #94: Injured dwarves not recovered
- 24 (7.3%)
Bug #2712: weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
- 20 (6.1%)
Bug #296: Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
- 18 (5.5%)
bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable
- 5 (1.5%)
impossible mandates like blue jay tooth etc - bug #1623 due to strange preferences (wagon wood - bug #3676 etc)
- 1 (0.3%)
(fix annouced on III 27) Bug #3708: Ghost names that can't be engraved on a slab and nameless slab engravings
- 30 (9.1%)
Bug #425: Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #3898: Entire Bone Stacks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
- 9 (2.7%)
Bug #2327: Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
- 6 (1.8%)
Bug #4550: Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
- 5 (1.5%)
Bug #1346: Adamantine thread used for suturing.
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #4552: Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
- 6 (1.8%)
Bug #136 When embarking on large area, DF hits 2GB memory limit and crashes
- 6 (1.8%)
Bug #1376: Presence of saltwater marsh causes mountain brooks/pools to become salty
- 4 (1.2%)
Bug #3685: Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #3169: Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #5312: Undead reanimate too quickly (and forever)
- 14 (4.3%)
(fix annouced on III 28) Bug #1609: Immigrant dwarves' skills often don't match their job settings
- 5 (1.5%)
Bug #4856: Immortal Dwarf (... Yet unconcious) [or any other creature]
- 0 (0%)
Bug #1451: Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers)
- 20 (6.1%)
Bugs #287 & #3147: Medical Dwarfs prefer using non-hospital stockpiles than hospital stocks
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #874: Dwarves refuse to butcher some corpses (buzzards in particular)
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #5232: Streams/brooks/rivers getting turned stagnant by nearby pools/ponds
- 19 (5.8%)
Bug #33: Bronze colossus, skeletal creatures, fleshballs, and others are impossible to kill
- 10 (3%)
Bug #2780: Turtles went extinct on my map (applies to all aquatic vermin)
- 12 (3.6%)
Bug #2922: Population Cap not working
- 16 (4.9%)
Bug #5097:  Names overwriting text with TrueType
- 18 (5.5%)
(fix annouced on III 28) Bug #5595: Undead dwarf contracted were-chameleon curse (result in cloning any partial corpses which get infected)
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #4590: Unarmored creatures give in to pain too easily - Elephant killed by three hoary marmots when elephant gives in to pain from nibbling
- 4 (1.2%)
Bug #5106: Slain bandits/companions respawn/duplicate in their original location
- 4 (1.2%)
Bug #5611: Cities overwhelmingly build textile industry shops, almost never wood, stone, or metal-related shops - results in nearly no weapons/armor for sale.
- 7 (2.1%)
Bug #5263: Abandoned shops not reclaimed - Older towns are almost entirely abandoned in spite of Legends listing population in thousands
- 7 (2.1%)
Bug #5598: Town shops/cabinets contain human-sized clothes regardless of size of actual residents
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #4430: Large gems not moved to stockpile
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #3015: Invader/sieger mounts flee combat, preventing their riders from fighting (worse with [FLIER] tag)
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #3981: Dwarf with "Installing Colony in Hive" Job stuck in middle of nowhere.
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #5102: Sewers inhabitants hanging out underwater near outflows (some of them stuck to walls)
- 2 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The worst bug - 34.06 poll  (Read 30257 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - 34.06 poll
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 01:12:53 pm »

Impossible material based mandates was fixed. The strange preferences are there, but material based mandates are disabled, so neither of those two examples will cause mandates.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 01:48:02 pm »

Isn't there some nasty new bug when a trader arrives with a migrant wave and just stands at the edge of the map preventing any other migrants from arriving?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 02:08:49 pm »

Kogut - If you could make a little modification to the poll, Bug #5611 (currently listed as "Cities overwhelmingly build textile industry shops, almost never wood, stone, or metal-related shops") should include text saying that the reason is that towns don't have any wood, stone, or metal to make goods for sale (which is more important than that the shops are hard to find, and the root cause of the other), and that this is also the reason that you cannot find shops selling weapons and armor in particular.

To keep things short, I'd suggest a line like:

"Cities do not build wood, stone, or metal goods - results in nearly no weapons/armor for sale."
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 03:00:59 pm »

is #3898 still in effect?  I just had my bone carver making greaves and he would grab 3 stacks and take a single bone from each.  Not sure if decoration will still use the whole stack or not.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 03:37:47 pm »

And #2922 is not, in fact, a bug.

It is open on the bugtracker + IMHO it is a bug.

is #3898 still in effect?  I just had my bone carver making greaves and he would grab 3 stacks and take a single bone from each.  Not sure if decoration will still use the whole stack or not.

see http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3898

Kogut - If you could make a little modification to the poll, Bug #5611 (currently listed as "Cities overwhelmingly build textile industry shops, almost never wood, stone, or metal-related shops") should include text saying that the reason is that towns don't have any wood, stone, or metal to make goods for sale (which is more important than that the shops are hard to find, and the root cause of the other), and that this is also the reason that you cannot find shops selling weapons and armor in particular.

To keep things short, I'd suggest a line like:

"Cities do not build wood, stone, or metal goods - results in nearly no weapons/armor for sale."

done

Isn't there some nasty new bug when a trader arrives with a migrant wave and just stands at the edge of the map preventing any other migrants from arriving?

"0005098: Traders migrate to fortress, marked as 'Friendly'", but "After a while, the blinking X goes away and he begins wandering around. This "unblocks" the migrant wave, allowing the rest of the migrants to enter the map with a blinking X as normal." - is it necessary to add this bug to the list?

Impossible material based mandates was fixed. The strange preferences are there, but material based mandates are disabled, so neither of those two examples will cause mandates.

In the old thread sb mentioned that material based mandates are still happening, and AFAIK there was no information that impossible material based mandates were fixed.

How many of them are new?
New as "for the first time in the poll" or as "reported after release of version X"?

Does the bugtracker have a method to "vote" for specific issues like most JIRAs have. Or is it just in this thread?
No, that is why I created this thread :)

What about the large gem and gem furniture and item artifacts that can't be stock-piled.

I'm not sure on the code, but I know it was in the last version.

0004430: Large gems not moved to stockpile, added

Is the pathing failure for sieges with leaders on flying mounts in there? (sorry, can't see bugtracker from work)

0003015: Invader/sieger mounts flee combat, preventing their riders from fighting (worse with [FLIER] tag), added
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Dark Like Snipes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 03:48:15 pm »

Are beekeepers still having trouble splitting hives and other associated whackness? Wouldn't mind being able to get my honey flowing without glitches.

Edit: Looks like the bug is still open, not sure if a similar one was taken care of: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3981
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:52:00 pm by Dark Like Snipes »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 04:10:19 pm »

Are beekeepers still having trouble splitting hives and other associated whackness? Wouldn't mind being able to get my honey flowing without glitches.

Edit: Looks like the bug is still open, not sure if a similar one was taken care of: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3981

Added, now I will start replacing bugs with 0 votes rather than adding to avoid pasting here entire bugrtracker.
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 04:20:36 pm »

Err... sorry to ask for more of these, but some of the details are important in letting people know what sorts of bugs these are:

"Bug #4590: Elephant killed by three hoary marmots when elephant gives in to pain from nibbling, and then slowly bleeds to death over roughly 3 game years" doesn't get straight to the point, it's more:

"Bug #4590: Unarmored creatures give in to pain too easily - Elephant killed by three hoary marmots when elephant gives in to pain from nibbling"

Similarly,

"Bug #5263: Towns have no residents in spite of Legends listing population in thousands" is not the whole story, so this would be a more descriptive title:

"Bug #5263: Abandoned shops not reclaimed - Older towns are almost entirely abandoned in spite of Legends listing population in thousands"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 04:24:22 pm »

Err... sorry to ask for more of these, but some of the details are important in letting people know what sorts of bugs these are:

"Bug #4590: Elephant killed by three hoary marmots when elephant gives in to pain from nibbling, and then slowly bleeds to death over roughly 3 game years" doesn't get straight to the point, it's more:

"Bug #4590: Unarmored creatures give in to pain too easily - Elephant killed by three hoary marmots when elephant gives in to pain from nibbling"

Similarly,

"Bug #5263: Towns have no residents in spite of Legends listing population in thousands" is not the whole story, so this would be a more descriptive title:

"Bug #5263: Abandoned shops not reclaimed - Older towns are almost entirely abandoned in spite of Legends listing population in thousands"

OK

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 04:27:27 pm »

I voted for  Bug #4552: Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders...  this will help the enemies to provide a better challenge for us.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 05:23:56 pm »

There are a lot of things here I'd like to see fixed, but I had to vote for the un-bustable ghosts, simply because there's no workaround for this (that I'm aware of), unlike any of the other ones I'm concerned about.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 07:32:31 pm »

I would like to see 287/3147 resolved: Hospital usage of thread/cloth fills stockpiles with thread/cloth useless for anything but the hospital.

Issue 895 is also pretty bad: Items disappear (become invisible) after getting pushed by flowing fluid.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 07:52:12 pm »

Also, didn't Toady One already address 5611, regarding the adventure mode availability of metal weapons and armor here?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 08:06:27 pm »

Also, didn't Toady One already address 5611, regarding the adventure mode availability of metal weapons and armor here?

Let me quote this, because it's hard to find:

Quote from: Shinotsa
Will the improvements to mineral veins and the addition of mine maps have a major effect on worldgen in the number of metal items made? Will that then translate into a larger number of weapon/armor shops and a larger number of metal goods at the market? Will towns closer to major mines have more blacksmiths, miners, furnace operators, and shops containing the products of these jobs? Will there be warehouses full of iron ore/bars/goods in mining towns, or does worldgen space out items through trade too much to see that?

Right now you don't see most of the raw resources in town.  There are too many items to stick in the current warehouse and I want to spread them out among the future industry sites and I'll probably just need to stack them too, as well as adding more warehouses.  There will be automatic effects already when minerals are spread out, and it probably already happens to some extent, though it is hard to notice because they mostly don't work on metal items because they have no reason to.  If they lost metal objects when their armies die out in the wilderness it might contribute, or if they needed tools.  There's just not enough being modeled yet (abstractly or not).  World gen trade does move things around quite a bit, probably more than it would if people were guarding their interests.  I'm not sure if that's going to lead to more weapon/armor shops.  They aren't really thinking of being an adventure game economy right now, and I'm not sure they will at any time.  That said, you should be able to find things easier than you can now, and there are various other things that can be done (paying to have a weapon made for example).

Toady is saying that the game does not display to the player how much is in the warehouses very well right now.

It is possible that Toady doesn't realize that there might very well be nothing in those warehouses regarding metal raw materials, and nothing is being made from them (even common items like tables and chairs and metal crafts) right now, which is why these bug reports are necessary to bring these sorts of things to his attention. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 09:10:42 pm »

I've got a vampire ghost running around my fort that I can't memorialize.

Only eats one or two people per year, but it does get a little annoying sometimes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5