Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF?

Bug #535: Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
- 30 (9.1%)
Bug #1582: Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors and #94: Injured dwarves not recovered
- 24 (7.3%)
Bug #2712: weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
- 20 (6.1%)
Bug #296: Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
- 18 (5.5%)
bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable
- 5 (1.5%)
impossible mandates like blue jay tooth etc - bug #1623 due to strange preferences (wagon wood - bug #3676 etc)
- 1 (0.3%)
(fix annouced on III 27) Bug #3708: Ghost names that can't be engraved on a slab and nameless slab engravings
- 30 (9.1%)
Bug #425: Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #3898: Entire Bone Stacks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
- 9 (2.7%)
Bug #2327: Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
- 6 (1.8%)
Bug #4550: Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
- 5 (1.5%)
Bug #1346: Adamantine thread used for suturing.
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #4552: Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
- 6 (1.8%)
Bug #136 When embarking on large area, DF hits 2GB memory limit and crashes
- 6 (1.8%)
Bug #1376: Presence of saltwater marsh causes mountain brooks/pools to become salty
- 4 (1.2%)
Bug #3685: Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #3169: Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #5312: Undead reanimate too quickly (and forever)
- 14 (4.3%)
(fix annouced on III 28) Bug #1609: Immigrant dwarves' skills often don't match their job settings
- 5 (1.5%)
Bug #4856: Immortal Dwarf (... Yet unconcious) [or any other creature]
- 0 (0%)
Bug #1451: Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers)
- 20 (6.1%)
Bugs #287 & #3147: Medical Dwarfs prefer using non-hospital stockpiles than hospital stocks
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #874: Dwarves refuse to butcher some corpses (buzzards in particular)
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #5232: Streams/brooks/rivers getting turned stagnant by nearby pools/ponds
- 19 (5.8%)
Bug #33: Bronze colossus, skeletal creatures, fleshballs, and others are impossible to kill
- 10 (3%)
Bug #2780: Turtles went extinct on my map (applies to all aquatic vermin)
- 12 (3.6%)
Bug #2922: Population Cap not working
- 16 (4.9%)
Bug #5097:  Names overwriting text with TrueType
- 18 (5.5%)
(fix annouced on III 28) Bug #5595: Undead dwarf contracted were-chameleon curse (result in cloning any partial corpses which get infected)
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #4590: Unarmored creatures give in to pain too easily - Elephant killed by three hoary marmots when elephant gives in to pain from nibbling
- 4 (1.2%)
Bug #5106: Slain bandits/companions respawn/duplicate in their original location
- 4 (1.2%)
Bug #5611: Cities overwhelmingly build textile industry shops, almost never wood, stone, or metal-related shops - results in nearly no weapons/armor for sale.
- 7 (2.1%)
Bug #5263: Abandoned shops not reclaimed - Older towns are almost entirely abandoned in spite of Legends listing population in thousands
- 7 (2.1%)
Bug #5598: Town shops/cabinets contain human-sized clothes regardless of size of actual residents
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #4430: Large gems not moved to stockpile
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #3015: Invader/sieger mounts flee combat, preventing their riders from fighting (worse with [FLIER] tag)
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #3981: Dwarf with "Installing Colony in Hive" Job stuck in middle of nowhere.
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #5102: Sewers inhabitants hanging out underwater near outflows (some of them stuck to walls)
- 2 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The worst bug - 34.06 poll  (Read 30258 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - 34.06 poll
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »

bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable - wasn't this one fixed in .06?

My personal vote is #5312, however I wish for a new feature of intentional (by dwarves themself) permanent corpse disposal methods (particularly, burning them) rather than reanimation fix. Its sad that dwarfs know how to melt steel, but don't know how to put zombie on fire.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 03:45:38 am »

I would like to see 287/3147 resolved: Hospital usage of thread/cloth fills stockpiles with thread/cloth useless for anything but the hospital.

Issue 895 is also pretty bad: Items disappear (become invisible) after getting pushed by flowing fluid.

Bug #3732: Butchering a corpse yields only 1 skin, regardless of size

replaced with

Bugs #287 & #3147: Medical Dwarfs prefer using non-hospital stockpiles than hospital stocks

bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable - wasn't this one fixed in .06?

My personal vote is #5312, however I wish for a new feature of intentional (by dwarves themself) permanent corpse disposal methods (particularly, burning them) rather than reanimation fix. Its sad that dwarfs know how to melt steel, but don't know how to put zombie on fire.

#1324 - "buckets full of water were used to produce lye" was fixed but "bucket with water inside becomes unusable" is still open. I replaced

Bug #524: Liquid glob material breath attacks come out solid

with

Bug #5312: Undead reanimate too quickly (and forever)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 05:04:06 pm »

Blunt weapons are the pits for me.  They should be completely smashing the faces of the opposition; like in Adventure Mode.  Instead they're near worthless.
Have you observed this bug in the Fortress mode of the 0.34.x releases ?

I have run several forts in various 0.34.x release and i noticed in the combat logs those that the hammerdwarves lot of time were ending an enemy smashing the skull/tearing the brain and the weapon -stuck- in the wound.
Either i've been very lucky in every of my forts, or the 0.31.x bug regarding the blunt weapon is fixed.

To me, the most annoying bug is the adventure mode performance, i have yet to see any slowdown in my 0.34.x +100pop fortresses even when i was in a middle of a siege with large amount of goblins that happened to popup at the same time of a siege with lots of undead.
While if i play a character in adventure mode even when in the middle of nowhere with none around, the game is painfully crawling regularly.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:07:16 pm by Robsoie »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2012, 05:15:24 pm »

Bug #4552: Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders. Sieges have lasted far longer than they should because of this bug.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2012, 05:16:30 pm »

Blunt weapons are the pits for me.  They should be completely smashing the faces of the opposition; like in Adventure Mode.  Instead they're near worthless.
Have you observed this bug in the Fortress mode of the 0.34.x releases ?

I have run several forts in various 0.34.x release and i noticed in the combat logs those that the hammerdwarves lot of time were ending an enemy smashing the skull/tearing the brain and the weapon -stuck- in the wound.
Either i've been very lucky in every of my forts, or the 0.31.x bug regarding the blunt weapon is fixed.

To me, the most annoying bug is the adventure mode performance, i have yet to see any slowdown in my 0.34.x +100pop fortresses even when i was in a middle of a siege with large amount of goblins that happened to popup at the same time of a siege with lots of undead.
While if i play a character in adventure mode even when in the middle of nowhere with none around, the game is painfully crawling regularly.

The problem with blunt weapons is that they tend to only be capable of getting a kill with a blow to the brain. 

This causes two problems, generally - one is that, if there are too many "opportunity" shots that let you hit some other body part, fortress dwarves won't attack the head and get the kill.  The other is that some creatures don't have a brain, and that makes them nearly impossible to kill.

A good part of the problem is a lack of a "pulping" mechanic, since damage just doesn't seem cumulative.  Once you've shattered a bone a couple times, it should just result in a limb being reduced to little more than a bag of soup that is suffering from tremendous internal bleeding.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »

Hammers and other blunt weapons, while fairly useless against living creatures versus their pointy counterparts, are great for zombies since the damage accumulates and they will eventually just collapse into a heap until it is raised again.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 05:49:40 pm »

I tested in the arena in a 6 vs 6 battle using only "adequate" hammerdwarves (wielding iron warhammer) and indeed every kills have been from tearing the brain.
Though the battles (even 1 on 1) are quickly over (a dozen of seconds), there's always a brain tearing blow in a few seconds of battle.
(and they're ressourceful in case of non-brain tearing possible)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:08:02 pm by Robsoie »

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 06:21:11 pm »

Also, didn't Toady One already address 5611, regarding the adventure mode availability of metal weapons and armor here?
It's been brought to his attention, maybe, but it's still a problem in need of a solution.

As a whole, adventure mode doesn't seem as fleshed out as it could be. But at the same time, I realize Dwarf Fortress mode is (rightfully) the max priority.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 06:30:14 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 06:34:34 pm »

It's been brought to his attention, maybe, but it's still a problem in need of a solution.

As a whole, adventure mode doesn't seem as fleshed out as it could be. But at the same time, I realize Dwarf Fortress mode is (rightfully) the max priority.

Technically, the last big push has been for Adventure Mode to not be so bare-bones anymore. 

Since there was so little done for Adventure Mode, there are much fewer Adventure Mode players, and hence, fewer Adventure Mode advocates, and there were people who were upset because they were only interested in Fortress Mode. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2012, 10:34:15 am »

I only play adventure mode now, and find it a lot more fun... but bug 5102 has really put a damper on things, by making a large percentage of quests unsolvable by a mortal character.

It also occurs to me that there's an inconsistency for the "Quest Compass".  For monsters in lairs, the quest compass always points to the entrance of the lair, while for sewers, the quest compass points to the ground directly overhead the creature, making them nearly impossible to find underground, as underground portions are not necessarily connected, and finding sewer entrances can be dastardly difficult if not outright impossible.  Would that be something to report on mantis, or suggest in the suggestion forum?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:38:18 am by Fieari »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2012, 11:07:07 am »

I only play adventure mode now, and find it a lot more fun... but bug 5102 has really put a damper on things, by making a large percentage of quests unsolvable by a mortal character.

It also occurs to me that there's an inconsistency for the "Quest Compass".  For monsters in lairs, the quest compass always points to the entrance of the lair, while for sewers, the quest compass points to the ground directly overhead the creature, making them nearly impossible to find underground, as underground portions are not necessarily connected, and finding sewer entrances can be dastardly difficult if not outright impossible.  Would that be something to report on mantis, or suggest in the suggestion forum?

There are a lot of problems with adventure mode right now.

*Your companions are nothing more than meatshields. They don't have any personality,they  are very stupid (they can't even get their weapons back if they drop them) and are generally very incompetent in combat (even legendary ones).
*Lots of bugs like the one you cited
*Only human civilizations are slightly developed (there are no dwarven, elven or goblin cities to visit)
*The world doesn't look alive, it is in fact "frozen" and everything happens only as a reaction to your direct actions. Only ambushes are relatively dynamic - imagine how much funnier it would be if you was in a town in the moment of a megabeast attack)
*Lack of interesting quests - all of them resumes to killing something. Vampires and werewolves could be as well any other critter in the raws.
*Lack of rewards - you  get nothing from quests other than a reputation that is used for nothing more than to allow you to get quests to kill more difficult beasts, and you can spend the loot you get in nothing besides food, as you get better armors in places other than the shops and you can't equip your companions.

Despise all these issues, it is fun for a while, and it is getting better and better, but it will take time to be as developed (and fun) as fortress mode is.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012, 12:55:02 pm »

"Bug #5102: Sewers inhabitants hanging out underwater near outflows (some of them stuck to walls)" added to the list.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2012, 01:16:03 pm »

Since 0.34.06 I didn't have any problem with bug 535, so I find it weird people are voting in it. I tried setting up squads using civilian clothes, and they would change their armor to clothes as soon as they got inactive. Tried setting them to use mail shirts and breastplates, and they would use them correctly, so the layering problem is solved. They are properly using armor stands assigned to them too. They are upgrading their armors when there is a better one available. So, which problems are people still having with equipping soldiers?

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2012, 03:33:58 pm »

Ah jesus christ, I accidently voted on the wrong thing.

Wanted to vote for:
Bug #1451: Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers)
    - 14 (6.5%)

But I did accidently vote for this:
Bug #3685: Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
    - 3 (1.4%)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »

#5705 dwarf children die from embarassment at not being dressed at age 2
This one will be fixed soon, but still, I find it amusing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5