Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the worst bug in DF?

Bug #535: Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic
- 30 (9.1%)
Bug #1582: Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors and #94: Injured dwarves not recovered
- 24 (7.3%)
Bug #2712: weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter
- 20 (6.1%)
Bug #296: Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much
- 18 (5.5%)
bug #4230 - bucket with water inside becomes unusable
- 5 (1.5%)
impossible mandates like blue jay tooth etc - bug #1623 due to strange preferences (wagon wood - bug #3676 etc)
- 1 (0.3%)
(fix annouced on III 27) Bug #3708: Ghost names that can't be engraved on a slab and nameless slab engravings
- 30 (9.1%)
Bug #425: Dwarves Not Cleaning Blood
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #3898: Entire Bone Stacks are used in Reactions instead of a single Bone
- 9 (2.7%)
Bug #2327: Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog
- 6 (1.8%)
Bug #4550: Dodging into river/lava/from cliff etc
- 5 (1.5%)
Bug #1346: Adamantine thread used for suturing.
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #4552: Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders
- 6 (1.8%)
Bug #136 When embarking on large area, DF hits 2GB memory limit and crashes
- 6 (1.8%)
Bug #1376: Presence of saltwater marsh causes mountain brooks/pools to become salty
- 4 (1.2%)
Bug #3685: Goblin squads invading a fortress will kill their non-goblin squadmates, sparking loyalty cascade
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #3169: Bone carvers suffer art defacement when somebody leaves the map with stuck-in masterpiece bolts
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #5312: Undead reanimate too quickly (and forever)
- 14 (4.3%)
(fix annouced on III 28) Bug #1609: Immigrant dwarves' skills often don't match their job settings
- 5 (1.5%)
Bug #4856: Immortal Dwarf (... Yet unconcious) [or any other creature]
- 0 (0%)
Bug #1451: Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers)
- 20 (6.1%)
Bugs #287 & #3147: Medical Dwarfs prefer using non-hospital stockpiles than hospital stocks
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #874: Dwarves refuse to butcher some corpses (buzzards in particular)
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #5232: Streams/brooks/rivers getting turned stagnant by nearby pools/ponds
- 19 (5.8%)
Bug #33: Bronze colossus, skeletal creatures, fleshballs, and others are impossible to kill
- 10 (3%)
Bug #2780: Turtles went extinct on my map (applies to all aquatic vermin)
- 12 (3.6%)
Bug #2922: Population Cap not working
- 16 (4.9%)
Bug #5097:  Names overwriting text with TrueType
- 18 (5.5%)
(fix annouced on III 28) Bug #5595: Undead dwarf contracted were-chameleon curse (result in cloning any partial corpses which get infected)
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #4590: Unarmored creatures give in to pain too easily - Elephant killed by three hoary marmots when elephant gives in to pain from nibbling
- 4 (1.2%)
Bug #5106: Slain bandits/companions respawn/duplicate in their original location
- 4 (1.2%)
Bug #5611: Cities overwhelmingly build textile industry shops, almost never wood, stone, or metal-related shops - results in nearly no weapons/armor for sale.
- 7 (2.1%)
Bug #5263: Abandoned shops not reclaimed - Older towns are almost entirely abandoned in spite of Legends listing population in thousands
- 7 (2.1%)
Bug #5598: Town shops/cabinets contain human-sized clothes regardless of size of actual residents
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #4430: Large gems not moved to stockpile
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #3015: Invader/sieger mounts flee combat, preventing their riders from fighting (worse with [FLIER] tag)
- 3 (0.9%)
Bug #3981: Dwarf with "Installing Colony in Hive" Job stuck in middle of nowhere.
- 2 (0.6%)
Bug #5102: Sewers inhabitants hanging out underwater near outflows (some of them stuck to walls)
- 2 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The worst bug - 34.06 poll  (Read 30259 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: The worst bug - 34.06 poll
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2012, 04:36:00 pm »

Since 0.34.06 I didn't have any problem with bug 535, so I find it weird people are voting in it. I tried setting up squads using civilian clothes, and they would change their armor to clothes as soon as they got inactive. Tried setting them to use mail shirts and breastplates, and they would use them correctly, so the layering problem is solved. They are properly using armor stands assigned to them too. They are upgrading their armors when there is a better one available. So, which problems are people still having with equipping soldiers?

There are still mutiple open subbugs ("Weapon Racks do nothing. ", "Axedwarf with missing hand wields shield and axe in same hand. ", "Haulers try to store clothing dropped by militia, mass confusion ensues ", "Soldier fight with training weapons even with real ones equipped ", "Soldiers do not consistently carry backpacks/flasks ", "Militia with clothing assigned as equipment leave it in piles on the floor randomly ", "Player can't set the more generic uniform options, like "any headgear" ", "Soldier equipped vial of extract (golden salve) as waterskin, then added alcohol to it " etc etc)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2012, 04:40:12 pm »

#5705 dwarf children die from embarassment at not being dressed at age 2
This one will be fixed soon, but still, I find it amusing.

Urist McDepravity commenting about naked children  :P

Ah jesus christ, I accidently voted on the wrong thing.
Unfortunately it is impossible to allow changing votes.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:41:51 pm by Kogut »
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 04:48:18 pm »

Since 0.34.06 I didn't have any problem with bug 535, so I find it weird people are voting in it. I tried setting up squads using civilian clothes, and they would change their armor to clothes as soon as they got inactive. Tried setting them to use mail shirts and breastplates, and they would use them correctly, so the layering problem is solved. They are properly using armor stands assigned to them too. They are upgrading their armors when there is a better one available. So, which problems are people still having with equipping soldiers?

There are still mutiple open subbugs ("Weapon Racks do nothing. ", "Axedwarf with missing hand wields shield and axe in same hand. ", "Haulers try to store clothing dropped by militia, mass confusion ensues ", "Soldier fight with training weapons even with real ones equipped ", "Soldiers do not consistently carry backpacks/flasks ", "Militia with clothing assigned as equipment leave it in piles on the floor randomly ", "Player can't set the more generic uniform options, like "any headgear" ", "Soldier equipped vial of extract (golden salve) as waterskin, then added alcohol to it " etc etc)

I don't see how a report so general could be helping Toady. It would be better that each individual bug would be reported. That fact is that this bug is giving a idea that equipping your soldiers is thourougly bugged when this is not true. Only in very specific cases you would find some problems. I didn't try any workaround and I haven't found any of these problems in my current fortress.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 04:50:02 pm by thvaz »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2012, 04:55:06 pm »

I don't see how a report so general could be helping Toady. It would be better that each individual bug would be reported. That fact is that this bug is giving a idea that equipping your soldiers is thourougly bugged when this is not true. Only in very specific cases you would find some problems. I didn't try any workaround and I haven't found any of these problems in my current fortress.

Well, if you don't try to use weapon racks to do something, then you don't think of that as a bug.  If you don't have a one-handed dwarf, you probably won't run into a bug with the dual-wielding in one hand issue. 

If the complaint is that Kogut doesn't want 800 different things to vote for, having some sort of consolidated list might make some more sense.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2012, 05:00:09 pm »

Well, if you don't try to use weapon racks to do something, then you don't think of that as a bug.  If you don't have a one-handed dwarf, you probably won't run into a bug with the dual-wielding in one hand issue. 

If the complaint is that Kogut doesn't want 800 different things to vote for, having some sort of consolidated list might make some more sense.

I am not complaining, Kogut can't do anything as he isn't a moderator in the Mantis. I just think that this one is a report that was mostly fixed and it is counterproductive to keep it open instead of dividing it in more specific reports.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2012, 07:03:09 pm »

I voted for the wrong thing too. I have something of a fetish for artifact gems, and in order to move them you have to mod the raws temporarly every time you want to stockpile them. I hate that.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 07:51:47 pm »

Regarding blunt weapons as they were brought up in this thread; blunt weapon users work well in tandem with blade users. Blunt weapons cause disabling and pain-inducing damage, which makes it easier for your bladesdwarves to move in for the kill. I prefer melee dwarves, but the truth is that a good suite of marksdwarves is what you really need to repel sieges.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2012, 08:22:14 pm »

half these bugs are features, like embarking on a large enough area to go past 2gb... sheesh your not running this game on CERNS computers are you?
I voted for BANANA!

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2012, 09:16:05 pm »

half these bugs are features,

Yes, or they are clearly placeholder mechanics that Toady has already explicitly talked about improving at some point, or whose revision is implicit in future dev arcs.  If you narrowed down this list it's possible it might be of more use.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2012, 01:23:36 am »

It is a parent bug, used to keep all links to "real" bugreports related to military failing to use equipment in a proper way ("parent of" 42x and "related to" 11x). Here it is used as multiple people noticed that their military is unable to handle their equipment but never investigated what exactly happens.

half these bugs are features, like embarking on a large enough area to go past 2gb... sheesh your not running this game on CERNS computers are you?
I listed only bugs open on the bugtracker. And your example is wrong, maybe it can pass as "known limitation" but not as a feature. Things like "Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders", "Turtles went extinct on my map (applies to all aquatic vermin)" and "Sewers inhabitants hanging out underwater near outflows" (but "(some of them stuck to walls)" is a clear bug) may pass as strange features but I see nothing more like this.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:29:40 am by Kogut »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 01:34:25 am »

It is a parent bug, used to keep all links to "real" bugreports related to military failing to use equipment in a proper way ("parent of" 42x and "related to" 11x). Here it is used as multiple people noticed that their military is unable to handle their equipment but never investigated what exactly happens.

I can understand this reasoning. I will see if I can put a test fortress to test all of these erratic equipping reports and provide Toady with saves, seeing as how it is well voted.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:45:55 am by thvaz »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2012, 08:55:50 am »

I listed only bugs open on the bugtracker. And your example is wrong, maybe it can pass as "known limitation" but not as a feature.

Well, can't speak for Toady, but designed in limitations can be features.  Take TES games, every man and his dog have modded in higher resolution world maps and models to every game since Morrowind, so why haven't Bethesda included them in the game?  Because they have to provide a product that is going to run and look acceptable on 99% of their customer's computers, not cater to the minority who can run such things.  Or, looking at it the other way, if they shipped Skyrim with high-res textures a whole bunch of people would be miffed their computer can't run the most beautiful version of the game, so they release it separately.  Thinking about your audience = design feature, not a bug.

Things like "Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders", "Turtles went extinct on my map (applies to all aquatic vermin)" and "Sewers inhabitants hanging out underwater near outflows" (but "(some of them stuck to walls)" is a clear bug) may pass as strange features but I see nothing more like this.

All of the siege related bugs can be, IMO, written off as part of the (long awaited) siege rewrite.  All of the city/economic bugs can be written off as part of the (hopefully upcoming!) schedule and caravan part of the caravan-arc.  In other words, we know that Toady has planned to address these things and shall be doing so in time; since it seems unlikely he'll deal with such bugs individually or on an ad-hoc basis, wouldn't it be better to take them off the list and wait for said rewrites to happen?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 09:25:00 am »

All of the siege related bugs can be, IMO, written off as part of the (long awaited) siege rewrite.  All of the city/economic bugs can be written off as part of the (hopefully upcoming!) schedule and caravan part of the caravan-arc.  In other words, we know that Toady has planned to address these things and shall be doing so in time; since it seems unlikely he'll deal with such bugs individually or on an ad-hoc basis, wouldn't it be better to take them off the list and wait for said rewrites to happen?
Point is to provide Toady some reference on desirability of fixes, so if one of "feature rewrites" get more votes than some of other bugs, then its clear indicator that its time to move on another feature-development stage.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2012, 09:25:33 am »

I listed only bugs open on the bugtracker. And your example is wrong, maybe it can pass as "known limitation" but not as a feature.

Well, can't speak for Toady, but designed in limitations can be features.  Take TES games, every man and his dog have modded in higher resolution world maps and models to every game since Morrowind, so why haven't Bethesda included them in the game?  Because they have to provide a product that is going to run and look acceptable on 99% of their customer's computers, not cater to the minority who can run such things.  Or, looking at it the other way, if they shipped Skyrim with high-res textures a whole bunch of people would be miffed their computer can't run the most beautiful version of the game, so they release it separately.  Thinking about your audience = design feature, not a bug.

Things like "Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders", "Turtles went extinct on my map (applies to all aquatic vermin)" and "Sewers inhabitants hanging out underwater near outflows" (but "(some of them stuck to walls)" is a clear bug) may pass as strange features but I see nothing more like this.
AFAIK this one is limited to memory management what may be changed without hurting anyone and is on TODO list.

a) I am not sure what may be packed to X rewrite (there is always possibility for small expansion similar to taming)
b) It may be a sign that certain important bugs are waiting for rewrite X so it may be a good idea to do it after Caravan arc (=after 2020)

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 04:00:44 pm »

Marked as fixed in next version now:
Bug #3708: Ghost names that can't be engraved on a slab and nameless slab engravings
Along with related items:
Bug #5130: Magma-destroyed corpses are always "missing," can't carve slab to prevent ghosts
Bug #3611: Memorial slab with no name.

So, that knocks out the current leader in the poll.

Next version will also fix a few other problems (see here), including this bug that's new with v0.34.06:
Bug #5705: dwarf children die from embarrassment at not being dressed at age 2
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5