Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Difficulty+ Plugin Races: Orcs, Beastmen, Ratmen & Gnolls  (Read 33112 times)

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Difficulty+ Plugin Races: Orcs, Beastmen, Ratmen & Gnolls
« on: March 23, 2012, 07:14:40 am »

PLUGIN RACES

These races are plugins: they are downloaded independently, and installation overwrites no files. They function standalone with vanilla dwarf fortress, just drop it into your /raws folder. They can be used together for added challenge. These races are designed to provide more 'evil' civs to siege players, but are also carefully balanced so as not to be overpowered or thematically questionable: they are intended to add civs that diverge from the vision of the original game as little as possible.
They are not intended to be player fortress races.
Compatible with 0.34 and above.

For those seeking Fun, all four civs can be downloaded together here.

ORCS           
Difficulty Increase: Moderate

Orcs are large, muscular green-skinned humanoids that exist in a state of perpetual war. They are creatures of brutality and blood-lust.

ABOUT
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

BEASTMEN
Difficulty Increase: Low

A savage humanoid with the coarse fur, horned head and hooved feet of a ram. It lives for the slaughter.

ABOUT

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

RATMEN
Difficulty Increase: Very Low

A humanoid with the features of a rat and a prehensile tail. Vicious and cunning, Ratmen multiply in the darkness of the caverns and plot the downfall of the surface races.

ABOUT

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

GNOLLS
Difficulty Increase: Low

An evil, hyena-headed humanoid that wanders in loose tribes. It is a nocturnal carnivore, preferring intelligent creatures for food because they scream more. Beware its reeking blood.

ABOUT

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

INSTALLATION:
Copy contents into /Raws folder
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:41:37 am by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orcs 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:22:47 am »

hey curious have you seen the Warhammer fantasy mod? I asked the group and dont know for sure yet, but would it be ok to port this over to the mod?
If not thx anyways, and i have to say nice to see some warhammer Waaaagh orks around.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 09:25:36 am »

2h-hammer? Wouldnt the maul just suffice?

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 12:33:21 pm »

YAY! I have missed this mod so much since the 40d days that I almost went ahead and ported/updated it myself, but then I got lazy and halfway forgot about it.
* Mr.Elendig runs off to sacrifice a fluffy wambler in honour of 1v0ry_k1ng

HraTaika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 04:22:28 pm »

Thank you!

Do you guys know anything about that giant mod that was going around?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:32:41 pm by HraTaika »

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:04:44 am »

A small update to the mod, Orcs have been down the gym: they now have 25% thicker skin and 25% more muscle mass than other humanoids. Download link updated.

Use this mod for and in whatever you want  :)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 09:39:21 am »

This looks interesting I'll have to try it out.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 04:31:08 pm »

I think I installed it wrong. I'm playing as the orcs now, can't appoint any nobles, every civ except orcs are at war with me, and orcs won't trade with me.
This should be fun

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 05:16:48 pm »

I should point out that these Orcs were designed as fort & adventure mode opponents, not as a playable race... that would be too much like easy-mode  ;). If you are looking to play as races other than dorfs, investigate the warhammer mod!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 05:51:39 pm »

If you're playing as Orcs, every other civ will be at war with you.  Really it should be the other way around, with Orcs being the agressors, but Dwarf Fortress Ethics are pretty hard to set.  Usually you get one big baddy, and the rest of the civs go to war with them/their kind.

You won't be able to do much with nobles, since the whole thing isn't designed to be able to do that.  Actually there are quite a few bugs in the creature file and the entity file, if you check your errorlog.txt file.

So, decent work, but it needs more polish.  Also, most of the extra weapons, armor, shields, and the like included in this mod are just copies from Civ Forge, and do not need to be included at all.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 10:19:24 pm »

It says its for DF 0.34.05

Is it ok to use with 34.07?
I don't download that many mods... but when I do..  ;D
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 10:46:59 pm »

If you're playing as Orcs, every other civ will be at war with you.  Really it should be the other way around, with Orcs being the agressors, but Dwarf Fortress Ethics are pretty hard to set.  Usually you get one big baddy, and the rest of the civs go to war with them/their kind.

You won't be able to do much with nobles, since the whole thing isn't designed to be able to do that.  Actually there are quite a few bugs in the creature file and the entity file, if you check your errorlog.txt file.

So, decent work, but it needs more polish.  Also, most of the extra weapons, armor, shields, and the like included in this mod are just copies from Civ Forge, and do not need to be included at all.

Some may not be using Civ Forge so these weapons should still stay, as long as credit is given if he used them.

Overall good work. We can always use more stuff to test our defenses on, with increased toughness and muscle these could be nasty indeed.

1v0ry_k1ng

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 12:14:10 am »

If someone wants to modify the nobles etc in a way that make Orcs into a playable race, I would be happy to include that in an update. I just wanted more challenging seiges, so little design work went into that area :)

I'll clean up all the bugs moment I get chance.

and it will work fine with any 34.##, no worries.

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 12:47:20 am »

and it will work fine with any 34.##, no worries.

Thank you buddy! Good work on this stuff. I look forward to preparing defenses for scary brutal orks. o.o
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 12:27:45 pm »

But why should the weapons that are not being used stay in this mod?  The way it's set up, Orcs will not use them.  They do not come invading your territory with them.  They are outdated and bugged, (Shields with [ATTACK] and [SIZE] tokens, for example).   The only way these weapons and armor will appear in a game which does not use Civ Forge is through wild moods, which currently only Dwarves can get.  If, on the other hand, other civilizations DO have the flags to use these weapons, then the user is already using Civ Forge and does not need the weapons.

So you can see there is NO need for these extra item types.

Also, the reactions given to the Orcs are not extant in the files.  No orc weapon building reactions have been added here, and yet their raws specify that they exist.  Not only would this lead to problems if they were an embarkable race, the broken reaction tokens serve no purpose at all without the actual reactions, themselves.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6