What is it?
A Standalone plugin that adds one new civilization - Orcs - based upon an updated version of the the Orc difficulty mod for 40d. The physical properties of Orcs have changed somewhat, and they have been balanced more in line with existing creatures.
Compatible with 0.34 and above.So these Orcs...
Orc attributes are drawn primarily from Warhammer:
- They stand slightly shorter but much broader than humans.
- They are muscular, tough and quick to heal, but clumsy, stupid and slow.
- They have stubby little horns & claws, very thick skulls and small brains.
- their hearts are proportionally much larger than those of other humanoids (awww!)
- They have terrible tempers and frequently become enraged in battle.
- approximately 10% of the population are born as Black Orcs, a bigger, stronger leadership caste.
- Black Orcs can enter Martial Trances.
- Orcs learn martial skills at 125% speed of other races.
- Orcs are fearless in battle, and do not retreat.
- They have their own language and their own character graphics.
- Orcs attack forts earlier than goblins do.
- Orcs live in human style cities (for now), but do not build roads.
- Orcs have an interesting selection of Nobles, many of which are eligible to lead armies.
- Orcs now have skin 25% thicker than other humanoids, and have 50% more muscle mass.
- 1 in 5 orcs has the ability to destroy buildings & doors
In practice, Orcs function like more proffesional Goblins. They are larger than dwarves and very broad and muscular,
swinging bigger weapons and resisting damage better. They possess higher pain thresholds and thick skulls. They come well equipped in iron gear, with full armor and equipment improvements on their leaders. They are considerably more resistant to traps than goblins. They turn up slightly earlier. They send thieves, but not snatchers.
Worldgen is not kind to them, and they usually only have a few secluded civilisations, but starting near one in fort mode can be unexpectedly Fun!
I take no credit for the original Orc raws, the Orc language or the concept - this is just intended as an update for people who liked the original mod and are seeking an added challenge rather than a total conversion.