Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: [0.47.xx]v26 CLA Graphic Set  (Read 393422 times)

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
Re: [0.34.11]v15 CLA Graphic Set - ASCII-like graphics (new track graphics)
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2013, 04:50:19 pm »

Dude how I could miss this tileset? for sure gonna play it in my next embark.

This exist in the actual MWDF bundle but, is updated in 4b?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2013, 09:49:17 am »

The main change I do to raws when I play with it - I make all grass/plants dark green and all colored plants dark colors, and all trees light green. It makes trees to stand out much better.

Also I add ground background > and < symbols with a line under them (which appear when arrows hit the ground or fire spreads) so they are not black.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2013, 03:19:08 am »

yes, its in MDF but only the tileset, not the sprites... the cla sprites only exist for vanilla creatures and it would look like a mess if I mix normal sprites with the cla sprites.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2013, 06:00:18 am »

The main change I do to raws when I play with it - I make all grass/plants dark green and all colored plants dark colors, and all trees light green. It makes trees to stand out much better.

Also I add ground background > and < symbols with a line under them (which appear when arrows hit the ground or fire spreads) so they are not black.

Hmm, do you have screenshots of this? It sounds pretty reasonable. I'm a bit wary of raw changes (simplicity, compatibility), but if it does improve the tileset massively...
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

for some odd reason only "Default" graphics for dwarfs and other living things work for me. Soldier, dead, zombie, noble and others dont show, only default show.

Fixed. DFFD should be up in a second, mediafire will follow. Thanks again.

*v06b released*
-fixed soldier and noble graphics not working

Hello,  I still seem to be experiencing this issue.  I just (well, a couple weeks ago) downloaded from DFFD, and only the default dwarf graphics are showing up in fortress mode (at least I only get default smilies when I look at the 'z' screen)

Strange thing is, the proper soldier graphics DO show up in adventure mode.

Did I manage to get an old version, somehow?

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello,  I still seem to be experiencing this issue.  I just (well, a couple weeks ago) downloaded from DFFD, and only the default dwarf graphics are showing up in fortress mode (at least I only get default smilies when I look at the 'z' screen)

Strange thing is, the proper soldier graphics DO show up in adventure mode.

Did I manage to get an old version, somehow?

Are you sure that dwarf soldier tiles don't show up at all in fortress mode, or is this only an issue on the status screen? There's a known bug in Dwarf Fortress where it uses the "Stonecrafter" tile for all dwarves on that screen. You can only see soldier graphics on the status screen if you're not using graphics.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2014, 03:36:16 pm »

Really?  When I'm using other graphic sets the images show up in the status screen. 

I'll load up an established fort and check if they appear outside the status screen.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2014, 10:38:17 pm »

Huh, it *is* always the stonecrafter image.  I had a little grey guys in my other graphics pack, and I just assumed they were armored.  I guess my mind just filled in the details that I expected to see.

Anyhoo, yes, the correct images do show up in other parts of fortress mode.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2014, 01:32:59 pm »

So i recently downloaded PeridexisErrant's Dwarf Fortress Starter Pack and when i generated a world this is what my walls looked like
It's not the first time this has happened, but i can't seem to find the solution by myself this time
So how do i fix this?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2014, 02:22:56 pm »

Gah, this is everything I hate about most of the more "attractive" tile sets. 

It has modified the RAWs to change the default characters for various things, and somehow in the process altered what character is used for... whatever that is.  Stone, or Soil, or what.

Also, there are three different colors of background for the trees, NONE of which match the background color for the ground.  The stick trees are black, and even those are the wrong tile.... unless they're glumprong's I guess.

At least the bug colony does not look like a brick well or a ring or some shit like that.

I think you fix it by using a tile set that does not hack your RAWs.  Or at least one that does a better job of it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2014, 03:09:43 pm »

Gah, this is everything I hate about most of the more "attractive" tile sets. 

It has modified the RAWs to change the default characters for various things, and somehow in the process altered what character is used for... whatever that is.  Stone, or Soil, or what.

Also, there are three different colors of background for the trees, NONE of which match the background color for the ground.  The stick trees are black, and even those are the wrong tile.... unless they're glumprong's I guess.

At least the bug colony does not look like a brick well or a ring or some shit like that.

I think you fix it by using a tile set that does not hack your RAWs.  Or at least one that does a better job of it.
Seriously? If you dislike graphical sets, do not use them, stay with Ascii or do it yourself. But please dont insult the work of someone else for no reason.

78325: You genned a world with graphical raws, and changed the tileset later. You have to update your save. You can probably drag and drop the ascii raws into the region folder.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2014, 01:12:48 pm »

I'm almost 100% sure i changed the graphics to CLA before genning this world, but changing the tileset in the LNP interface to something else and then back to CLA seemed to fix the issue

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2014, 10:56:07 am »

It not that I dislike graphical sets,  and I think my criticism was pretty explicit.  But I'll keep my preferences to myself in the future.

Anyway, how do the tileset managers in things like LNP work?  replace your RAWs on the fly, to support the needs of each set?

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2014, 02:13:21 pm »

So how do i fix this?
I don't know how exactly PE's starter pack works and what it does and does not. I also don't know which graphic set you used before this. But as puke and Meph said, your raws aren't the correct ones for this particular tileset. I think these are the raws for phoebus or ironhand. CLA only changes the glumprong tree, and the wheelbarrow and minecart tiles. The raws are otherwise identical with the default raws.

Either way, glad you could fix it.
Anyway, how do the tileset managers in things like LNP work?  replace your RAWs on the fly, to support the needs of each set?
That would be my guess.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2014, 02:34:18 pm »

Okay, I shouldn't keep digging this hole, but let me make my opinion more constructive.  I was pretty tired when I wrote the original complaint, was more grouchy than I should have been.

First, the RAW-SNAFU that was the subject of the misplaced soil tiles is what it is.  It's one of the many reasons I dont like to edit raws for the sake of graphics, because it can lead to unpredictable results.  I don't want to check compatibility between an actual mod and a graphics set, or worry about a utility screwing it all up.

Second, on the tile backgrounds, the CLA set looks GREAT in any of three seasons.  Most of the sets with solid color backgrounds look good under some particular circumstances.

But they come at a cost.  And that cost is that they look worse in other circumstances, or that they make menus and text look odd, or they bollocks up the world-map, or whatever.  And also, I think DF's use of variegated ground tiles is brilliant and unique in roguelikes, and unfortunately lots of the solid color backgrounds or textured sets throw that little bit of innovation away.

That said, it is totally fine that many people decide that trade off is worthwhile.  Great!  I do not want to detract from anyone's enjoyment.

And there is a reason that there is an Init setting to turn off the varied ground tiles!  Even though it's my favorite thing, there are other people whom hate it!  So, clearly, my opinion is not the end of the road.  There are room for multiple styles, views, whatever.

What's more, the actual CLA tiles are some of my favorite tiles.  I personally prefer the Myne set, but there are specific things in the CLA tiles (such as the military dwarf, and the super genius <> replacements) that I bring over because they are such subtle changes that add such huge value.

Anyway, that's more than enough of that.  Back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19