Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: [0.47.xx]v26 CLA Graphic Set  (Read 394947 times)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.14]v19 CLA Graphic Set - updated for 40.19
« Reply #150 on: December 07, 2014, 09:31:49 am »

*Updated for 40.19*

Sorry for the delay, haven't had any time in the last weeks and I haven't had the chance to improve the tileset either.
Nothing changed, just figured I upload the package with 40.19 since it seems it will be a while now until a new version.
The standalone download is compatible with all versions since 40.19.

Edit:

*Updated for 40.24*
The standalone version will most likely continue to be compatible with future DF versions, so if I don't get around uploading the preinstalled one, just use the standalone.
To make sure they're really compatible, compare d_init.txt and init.txt from the newly downloaded DF version and the standalone download. If there are no new, additional entries, you're good to go. If there are, just add these to the files from the standalone download, too.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:21:39 am by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.24]v19 CLA Graphic Set - updated for 40.24
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2015, 05:12:07 am »

OH MY GOD I JUST GOT THE CAVY BOAR ICON YOU ARE A GODDAMN GENIUS...
I had a weird asterisk on the adventure mode travel map that never ambushed me and didn't have any humans or anything, turned out it was a llama and a cavy, and I found that they kept respawning after I killed them.

While doing a zoom-Zoom-ZOOM post about how amusing it is that the most evil thing in a city being attacked by zombies might be these two, it clicked:

THE CAVY IS THE INSIDE OF A LOWERCASE 'C' WITH THE 'C' REMOVED!

*brainsplosion*

stibbons

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 24, 2015, 04:40:04 pm »

Hey CLA,

first of all I wanted to thank you for your great work. I'm using your tileset since you made it available.
As time goes by and the computer displays (and resolutions) are getting larger and larger, I wanted to ask if there is the possibility of an upscaled version of your tileset.
I've already seen some 24x24 tilesets. But as I'm no tileset designer and I don't know if something like that could easily be done with every tileset, I thought I just ask.  :D

Greetings
stibbons
"We build but to tear down. Most of our work and resource is squandered. Our onward march is marked by devastation. Everywhere there is an appalling loss of time, effort and life. A cheerless view, but true."
Nikola Tesla

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 26, 2015, 12:58:21 pm »

Thanks stibbons!
I'm afraid I don't really have the time to do an upscaled version in the near future - especially since I'd have to redo all the creatures as well. But of course I have no problem with others upscaling the tileset/creatures and posting it. IIRC Milo Christiansen experimented with upscaling CLA a while back. There might be a thread somewhere.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

stibbons

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2015, 01:24:44 pm »

I already expected something like that. But thank you anyway! :-)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:42:26 pm by stibbons »
"We build but to tear down. Most of our work and resource is squandered. Our onward march is marked by devastation. Everywhere there is an appalling loss of time, effort and life. A cheerless view, but true."
Nikola Tesla

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2015, 04:49:49 pm »

How would I go about just using the animal graphics without the rest of the graphical changes? I prefer the ASCII in general but the animal graphics would be a great addition on their own.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2015, 05:22:00 am »

How would I go about just using the animal graphics without the rest of the graphical changes? I prefer the ASCII in general but the animal graphics would be a great addition on their own.
The pack already comes with an alternative tileset that is very close to the how the default would look in square 18x18 (derived from Haowan). Instructions to use it are in the OP.

If you have your own tileset already installed and really just need the creatures, just copy the graphics folder from the CLA pack to your raw/graphics folder and, if you have an existing save, to your data/save/<your region>/raw/graphics too. Don't forget to delete any old creature graphics you had, and remove the example files as well.

After that, you just need to set GRAPHICS to YES in data/init/d_init.txt or init.txt. I can never remember.

I think there's a readme in the graphics folder that has the instructions, too. The Graphics page on the wiki has some information too.
Let me know if something doesn't work.

Oh and do note that it will look weird if the creature graphics and tileset don't have the same tile size (18x18) or multiples of it.

noirscape

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonic disaster
    • View Profile
    • noirscape.dev
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2015, 06:05:18 pm »

I love your graphics pack! Looks great while still keeping in touch with DF's original graphics. I do have one question however: Is it possible to make the pack for the original ASCII art size? The square size kinda confuses me.
don't take the above seriously. This is actually a pretty helpful group of people. Welcome to the insane asylum.

*Urist McEnlightened has been found dead, Enlightenment aneurysm.*

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2015, 05:48:15 am »

Is it possible to make the pack for the original ASCII art size?
There are two things here, the "original ASCII art" size (which is 8x12 windowed and 10x12 fullscreen per tile) and the aspect ratio (both somewhere around 4:3; not square). From your reasoning it seems that you don't care so much about the size, but the non-square aspect ratio, right?

Short answer: Yes, it's possible, no I won't do it. If you want a quick solution, resize the tileset to 18x24 (288x384 pixel) or 14x18 (224*288) with the Nearest Neighbor algorithm; you don't need to change any text files. The creature graphics will adjust automatically, too.
For your reference, I use XnViewMP or Photoshop for resizing, but Gimp or any other program that can save transparent PNG and has the Nearest Neighbor resizing algorithm would work. MSPaint doesn't.

Long answer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2015, 04:09:30 pm »

Yeah, I tried to scale it up to work with the 32x48 size I use in adventurer mode but I suck at it.

I tried to insert some padding to preserve your art and the square aspect ratio with the transparent buffer to fit the shape but again, not ideal.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2015, 09:17:47 am »

Yeah, I tried to scale it up to work with the 32x48 size I use in adventurer mode but I suck at it.

That's an awkward choice of size for 18x18. It only works well for 16x16 tilesets (2x and 3x scale). If you try resizing it to 36x54 (again, with nearest neighbor of course) you'll see that it resizes absolutely flawless. Of course I don't know if that size is acceptable for you, but that was the whole point of making it 18x18 to begin with - for people that want a tileset slightly larger than 16x16. I guess in the end that extends to the recent size inflation as well.

noirscape

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonic disaster
    • View Profile
    • noirscape.dev
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2015, 10:19:43 am »

Is it possible to make the pack for the original ASCII art size?
There are two things here, the "original ASCII art" size (which is 8x12 windowed and 10x12 fullscreen per tile) and the aspect ratio (both somewhere around 4:3; not square). From your reasoning it seems that you don't care so much about the size, but the non-square aspect ratio, right?

Short answer: Yes, it's possible, no I won't do it. If you want a quick solution, resize the tileset to 18x24 (288x384 pixel) or 14x18 (224*288) with the Nearest Neighbor algorithm; you don't need to change any text files. The creature graphics will adjust automatically, too.
For your reference, I use XnViewMP or Photoshop for resizing, but Gimp or any other program that can save transparent PNG and has the Nearest Neighbor resizing algorithm would work. MSPaint doesn't.

Long answer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wasn't talking about the tileset, I'm talking about the creature graphics. From your answer it seems that all I have to do is install only the creature graphics to make those work?
don't take the above seriously. This is actually a pretty helpful group of people. Welcome to the insane asylum.

*Urist McEnlightened has been found dead, Enlightenment aneurysm.*

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2015, 11:52:30 am »

Can you specify different resolution for creature tiles and regular tiles in the INI?  If so, it would rely on the openGL engine to stretch them.

If not (and i think it is not), you would end up with undersized creature tiles.  This would mean that half of one creature would show up in the wrong place, and the entire set would be generally garbled.

Even in the best case scenario of the openGL doing the stretching, if you want pixel-perfect, you'll have to scale the creature graphics by hand.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2015, 12:50:42 pm »

I wasn't talking about the tileset, I'm talking about the creature graphics. From your answer it seems that all I have to do is install only the creature graphics to make those work?
The game automatically resizes creature graphics to have the same dimensions as your main tileset. Of course the result might be muddy or distorted and look worse than manually resizing.
But yeah, just install the creature graphics without changing the tileset and you're good to go.
If it doesn't look good enough, try manual resizing to some value that's closer to the desired dimensions and let the rest do the game. That might work better.

Edit: Clarified it on the wiki.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:08:14 pm by CLA »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2015, 05:21:36 pm »

I meant I resized it by adding some transparent padding so they would stay square, I think I bumped them up to 150% or something which didn't look bad but the padding didn't work as well as I hoped, and they didn't look the same squashed.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20