Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I actually make a stepladder?  (Read 3276 times)

jonadab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I actually make a stepladder?
« on: November 01, 2014, 06:11:59 am »

I've got about twelve kinds of fruit and nut trees in my area.  Cashew, avacado, date palm, custard apple, durian, two kinds of limes, the list goes on.  Basically every single tree in the area bears food.  I don't think I've seen a single one that doesn't.

The wiki seems to indicate that I could harvest this fruit, when I gather plants, if I just make a stepladder either in a metal forge or in a carpentry shop.  I'm a little low on practical metals in this game (only ore I found so far is gold), but I've got all kinds of wood, so I was going to try to make a ladder in a carpentry shop.  I've been making all sorts of stuff out of wood (barrels, bins, buckets, beds, chairs, tables, etc.), so I *think* I mostly understand the carpenter's shop menu, mostly -- but I can't seem to find anything in there anywhere about any kind of ladder. 

What am I missing?  Do I have to make some kind of ladder component first?  Do I need hardwood, like maple or oak, instead of all these fruit woods?  Do I need a dwarf with a certain skill that my carpenter doesn't have?  What's going on?

If it matters, I'm using df_40_13_linux.tar.bz2 on Debian stable (squeeze) amd64.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:13:43 am by jonadab »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: How do I actually make a stepladder?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 06:26:30 am »

If it matters, I'm using df_40_13_linux.tar.bz2 on Debian stable (squeeze) amd64.
Yes, that matters. Stepladders were added in 0.40.14, the current version, and the one after the one you are using. Unfortunately, you can't get stepladders by updating the save to the current version, but that at least allows you to gather fallen fruit. Getting stepladders as well would require a new world in that version.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

jonadab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do I actually make a stepladder?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 07:58:47 am »

Stepladders were added in 0.40.14.

Ah, ok, so I'm not completely insane -- or, at the very least, this episode doesn't prove it conclusively.  I won't spend any more time trying to figure out where it's hidden in the menus, then :-)

I'll probably wait on the upgrade until I'm ready to start a new game.  But now I'll have something to look forward to in the new version.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:02:44 am by jonadab »