Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Share Your Funny Stories With Me! (Help DF Talk)  (Read 85944 times)

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Share Your Funny Stories With Me! (Help DF Talk)
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2013, 05:57:44 pm »

Don't remember what release this was but here we go.

The Hilltop of Hate

Ah, dear dwarves. What a home you had built for yourself up on a not too steep hilltop. Trade was blooming, children were being born, drinks were had on a daily basis and work was rigorous and plentiful. A fully natural tower provided with beautiful stone to welcome above-worlders. And best of all, NO ELVES for miles upon miles!

The upper levels held farms and workshops. Going down you'd find a beautiful and intriguing spiral well section between the main stair shafts. Down farther were fine lodgings, astute offices and tombs for heroes. At the very bottom, of course, a legendary food hall filled to the brim with the most masterful of engravings and statues. History! Avarice! Food and beverage worth dying for. Behind the food hall, storage, a kitchen section and the great distillery.

In the depths you'd find pastures, recreation and the ever expanding barracks. Perhaps the occasional spelunker. Indeed, life was good.

However, the hilltop itself had been cursed long ago. Once sullied it could never become clean. Never! Blood spilled would seep and spatter over stone and ground for all of eternity. In scorching sun or freezing winter, the liquid seemed to have a life of its own. The red blob would grow with each passing year. More and more, wider and wider. From dire animals to invaders to skulking filth, they all fed the mountain and soon the rock, hauled and formed, polished and perfected, would all be red with grime and gore. The hilltop would overflow, drowning the nearby boulders and trees in flowing muck and grit. Traders would stir in their boots as they neared the pure red trade depot. Dwarves who'd go outside... well, let's just say they had a special look in their eye once they came back down. No amount of water would clean them ever again. The dwarves eventually grew frigid at the idea of going outside. But the trade, and the hunters, and the legacy! Newcomers would be welcomed by sour faces. Get in, quick! Don't look! Don't speak! Yes, this grinding torture grew more and more as work stagnated with time. Recreation became dull for the dwarves. Drinks gave no pleasure. Food without taste. The militia stirred, relentlessly planning the next slaughter. The depths would only satiate their bloodlust momentarily. Verily, the curse had taken effect as the gore eventually came dripping down the stairwells. Dwarves would idly stare at the madness. Vanquished foes would haunt them all, creeping, sticking, smelling. Forever.

A diplomat arrived from the mountain homes. In good spirits, he rushed past the cursed hilltop with a smile to go find the leader of this odd dwelling. Count! Baron! Titles were to be handed out. NO. There would be no more growth. The leader, also part of the militia, cut the spine out of the diplomats body as he left with little understanding of what had been going on. Chaos ensued. Brother fighting brother, children dismembered by their parents. The madness grew with haste and unnatural vigor. Tantrums erupted at the sight of blood and death. No safety. Nowhere to hide. Traders arrived and what remained of the militia, plus the dwarves skilled in barter, would pour from the stairwell only to claim another life. Dwarves, humans. No one could put an adequate fight. The mountain fed and overflowed more and more. Rivers would run red. Dwarves would sleep and wake in filth, hatred and crusted innards. Miasma filled the halls, constantly. Engravings disappeared under the spray of blood. What had been created over the years, swallowed by a curse. The accursed hilltop of hate, silent once more.

Not really a FUNNY story unless you like strange bugs. Buuut, you know.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 06:32:28 pm by Slax »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2013, 10:56:33 pm »

Not really a funny story -yet-, but I'm about to attempt my first water-based project (well, not counting simple aquifer penetration).

Draining the ocean.

And then strip mining an entire Z-level with an aquifer.

Prepare the scuba gear.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

AJRed

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »

Ive decided to kill  my king. My plan is to put a military dwarf in a cage for 2 weeks or however long. And then unleash the insane starving comando dwarf on the king.

Any thoughts?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2013, 10:46:22 pm »

I started in a Terrifying glacier biome. Wasn't quite quick enough to get to the cavern water, and two of my starting seven died of thirst, reanimated, and attacked the others. I managed to trap them, but there were only two survivors of the grisly fight - a miner and a bookkeeper.

After that, I noticed that I had forbidden some of the starting supplies to speed up the digging-in process, and forgot to unforbid them. Including half my alcohol barrels. Damn.

Eventually, the miner snapped in his misery, threw himself off a ledge, and died inches away from the bookkeeper. Urist McNumbers looked on with a serene smile - he has been ecstatic lately. He had a fine drink recently.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2013, 02:23:25 am »

Was doing a community fort.  Someone asked to be dorfed as Killer Pete, to work as a bone carver and doctor.  Shortly after the request, a legendary bone carver migrated to the fort.  Perfect.  I put him to work in the hospital.  There he was always busy tending to the wounded and diseased, of which there was never a shortage.  I never had greater use for a skilled bone carver than for a skilled doctor.  I wrote multiple updates that involved Killer Pete complaining about how he was attracted to the death of the place and thought it a perfect location for pursuing his craft, only to be denied the opportunity.

Cloutwheel was a militia captain who, after years of service, was the only soldier with no kills to his name.  Shouldering his pathetic reputation for so long drove him to fell mood.  He ambushed poor Killer Pete on his way to retrieve water for a cast.  Turned him into an artifact dwarf bone table "The Sickness of Squandaries".  How fitting that Killer Pete should end up making finer bone craft than he would ever know.  I put the table on display by the entrance to the hospital, where it was often admired by those most in need of the comfort of fine craft.  It also reminded everyone the ruthlessness of their new hammerer, Cloutwheel.

This is the story I always tell the uninitiated when I want to demonstrate the richness of the DF's procedurally generated tales, and my favorite personal experience with the game thus far.

Original Writing Here
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sashoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2013, 02:18:37 pm »

[This fortress was played using the Fortress Defence mod]Ancientanvil was a thriving smithing city, population 96 dwarves, 32 assorted animals, and an army of 10 legendary Axelords, all equipped with steel gear. They were the best of the best, Legendary axemen, legendary shield users, legendary armor users, legendary fighters, and legendary dodgers. They had protected the city from everything it ever faced, up until now.
It was a snowy evening in Ancientanvil, the normal clanging of hammers from the forge could be heard down below, and the usual hustle of activity along the market floor. The guards were on watch duty, and spotted something small running across the snow tundra in front of them. 5 of the dwarves went out and saw that it was a Fireimp baby snatcher! Protect the children! My soldiers quickly dispatched it, and then 2 more of its like, I took careful note that the fire imps breathed fire, and had caused part of our forest to smolder. About a month later, things got a bit heated, quite literally. From inside the city, the ground could be felt trembling, heavy stomps from overhead. The mythical beasts of legend, Jotunar, were sieging the city. All guards were quickly positioned in the main gate behind the traps, and a make shift militia of peasants and crafts dwarves were thrown into a last minute squad, and the now total of 20 dwarves sat behind the closed gate, waiting for their enemy. Moments later, flames ripped through the solid oak gate, incinerating 5-6 of the unarmed militia dwarves instantly, the gate flew off its hinges, and immediately the trees around it exploded in flames. The battle had begun. A dwarves caravan that had been docked in the city at the time, quickly fled into the deepest corner of the trade depot room, but it was not ignored, one of the massive Giants charged in and began combatting the caravan guard, they deeply wounded it, but were killed in battle. At this time all but out 5 finest soldiers were left, fighting to the last breath, at the main stairway that led down to the civilians below. They were killed, but not before leaving their enemy battered bloodied, and otherwise immobile. 3 giants were left, and my entire armed forces wrecked. The 3 giants who were still alive war now laying their, over exterted, writing in their own blood and guts, but not dead yet, and slowly were crawling towards the civilians bunker. I threw everyone into a squad, and ordered them to  charge, un armed, unarmoured, they ran and began punching, kicking, biting, scratching, whatever their dwarves muscles were capable of, they swarmed 2 giants and all went to town. But the sheer size of the giants is what stopped the fight from ending there (WIki says they are 1000x bigger then a dwarf) and the battle raged on for months. 4 months later, 3 giants still left, and only 6 of my dwarves left, all of which were put into a militia and were currently wrestling the giants. Everything on the map was over exerted, writing around in ash from the fires, and trying to breath, as their enemy limply attempted to smash them into oblivion with nothing but brute strength. It was a a battle of legends, but eventually the 2 giants were slain, and 3, now legendary wrestlers, stood triumphantly above their corpses, more like lay onto of them bleeding and crying. But where was the 3rd giant? thats when I saw it, it was the giant who had strayed from its path to engage the merchants. It was not laying their bleeding, every bone in its body broken but its head, all organs destroyed, laying in-between 2 merchants yaks, who were taking turns kicking it to death. it was hilarious, I cried out laughing and then realized the yaks too, were over extorted, bleeding, and on the brink of death. So here lay the shambles of a once great city, 3 dwarves unconscious, and some yaks kicking a giant to death, but thus was not the end of it, no no, more FUN was inshore for us. My 3 dwarves managed to recover enough to begin walking around, trying to clean corpses, but I put them off duty, ordered them to go into the food storage, and just relax until the could move again. Well such luxury was not permitted, as moments after the last giant was brutally kicked to death by the yaks, a forgotten beast emerged from our caverns. A massive rat! It breathed poisonous vapors and fidgeted and squirmed. I mustered my men, and sent them out to die. At this point I noted that only 2 wrestlers were seen charging forth, but I did not think much of it, assumed he died of his wounds. The 2 wrestlers were almost instantly killed by its vapors, and what luck I had, for as soon as the 2 died, Immigrants came! immigrants of the boat load! They all poured into my gruesome blood covered city, and were all immediately formed into a ransack militia, and sent into battle!- and were all instantly killed by vapors.. I sit here. Defeated, no dwarf alive. But then I remember, the game stops automatically when all dwarves are killed, I quickly hit u and see that I have one dwarf left! The 3rd wrestler who was not seen charging to his death! And coincidentally was also our mayor, and was now barricaded in his royal quarters, surrounded by as much food and drink as he could ever wish for. This mayor was a god send, his cowardice and stupidity led to the temporary survival of Ancientanvil, so I quickly forbid his steel door, and waited. During this wait I looked at his wounds, and found that he was missing an arm and a leg, war wounds from the battle that had taken place. He was periodically go in and out of consciousness, to eat, drink, and then go to sleep again on his bed. This kept up for roughly a year until merchants came. More dwarves merchants, and as soon as they arrived, so did another siege, not of deadly Giants, but night wings. Horrible flying batmen who carried steel armaments, and were highly trained warriors. The siege flooded through the abandon gates and met the caravan guard (which was also the previous caravans guard, for some reason they never left) a force of 6 moderately trained poorly equipped dwarves guards stood in the way of a night wing siege. I sat on the edge of my seat as the dark blue "N's" advanced on the guards. It was a battle of legends. The dwarven guards miraculously fought off the night wings and retook their posts. For the next year or 2 the Dwarven guards stayed there, for reasons I know not, perhaps they knew of the lone dwarf with missing limbs, holding up in there and they wished to aid until more immigrants arrived, but all I know is they are the saviors of Ancientanvil, or at least it seemed like it at the time, because a forgotten danger had been.. well, forgotten, AGAIN. thats right, our Ratty beast friend was still roaming the bloodied halls, and had grasped the scent of dwarf... The forgotten beasts soared through the main hall and ripped into the dwarven guards, tearing them to shreds, and killing the merchants as well. He now sat guard at the entrance of the city, idly milling about, until a SECOND forgotten beast came. A fox with large mandibles and webs! It immediately routed straight for the Rat beast, and the 2 locked into an epic battle of the ages. The fox emerged victorious, he had cleaved the Rats head straight off with his mandibles, after ensnaring him in webs. But he was not without injuries, for the boiling extract of the Rat beast had peculiar symptoms. Mainly leading to every single body part of the fox turning red and died almost within seconds of the symptoms occurring. So here I sat, one dwarf, locked in a noble room, with no leg or right arm, and no more guardians of our city. I sat there in disbelief of the roughly 3 hour journey that had just unfolded, but it was not the end (holy shat I know right) a goblin ambush of roughly 10-15 goblin lashers appeared, revealed by the traps at the gate. They pounced into the city and then quickly began milling about. There was nothing for them to attack, so they soon left. So there he still lived, our miraculous mayor. By this time, roughly 80 dwarven ghosts were inhabiting my city, and were probably what was scaring away any future immigrants, and were honestly really freaking me out as well, even if they were only Ns. But one of these ghosts was more vicious, more malice then the others, he seemed out the mayor, drifted through the steel door, and killed him in his sleep. Thus was the end of an epic marathon of FUN and !!FUN!! for Ancientanvil.

silentveteren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2013, 08:42:16 pm »

Two Funny Stories

The Stray Water Buffalo Cow grabs The Stray Water Buffalo Bull by the tongue with her left rear leg!
I was looking at the reports to see if any of my cattle were fighting, and low and behold, this beauty showed up, For The Lulz!

The Story Of a Vampiric Hero

The Prosperous fortress of Dumattusung were VERY prosperous We had a golden chair i couldn't trade anyone, but was worth ~ 110000, 1/4 of my entire fortresses worth, but we had a problem, Dwarves kept disappearing, and a strange miner was carrying the corpses over to the refuse heap. The Dwarves, being Dwarves, did not comment on this until they stumbled on many sets of remains in a corpse heap away from the main fortress. The People wanted to kill the vampire, but the mayor was a Smart Dwarf, and built a room for the vampire, and blocked the exit off. The people then used this vampire as the perfect accountant for quite some time. Things were peaceful for a time, but then a Horde of Vile Evil shows at our gates at the same time as a human caravan. Wanting to save the human caravan, in order to take the goods, of course, left their gate open until the last moment. Then the mayor laughed at the horde that was preparing to charge the gate, flipped the lever. And waited.... And waited... And forgot that he had not hooked up the lever to the gate! The goblins saw this, and charged in a huge mass. The mayor made a strategic retreat, and ordered his dwarven warriors forward. A Massive battle ensued, but the goblins had a clear advantage of numbers, even clogged in a tight hole with marksdwarves shooting arrows from above, and speardwarves holding them in a bunch near the gate. The mayor saw all was lost, and ordered his peasants to arm themselves and charge forward! Being Dwarves, they decided that they wanted the equiptment OUTSIDE the walls, and kept trying to get to them, instead of the huge stockpile of arms and armor just below their feet. The mayor saw this and dispaired. Until he remembered the vampire! He quickly ordered the wall to be torn down, and granted the vampire the treasured Nimar Akgos, a marvelous iron crossbow said to have slain a mighty titan! This and a promise that the vampire would have his pick of virgins and blood from every citizen, excluding himself, of course, if only he would turn the tide of the battle. The vampire took the crossbow, and went outside towards the battle. The dwarves were breaking, and seeing the vampire free, began to flee. The goblins howled in joy, and started to run forward, only for each one to be taken down by the vampire! The vampire was launching bolt after bolt into the mass, and almost every one was a kill. The goblins began to break, and the vampire, out of bolts, charged with his Pike (He was a Skilled Pikemen when he came to the town, and i was like, saweeeeet, and of course, there cant be a catch for that...) and began wholesale slaughter of the puny goblins. Even the great troll Surgeon Kutsmob, was unable to stand before this vampire! Unbeknownst to all but the mayor and the last of his guard, they began to reasemble their crossbows, and set up a ballista near the gate. The vampire drove the goblins away, and came to take his prize. The mayor stood next to the ballista, and ordered it pointed towards him. The Vampire, being a Dwarf, thought nothing of this, and demanded his pick of the virgins. One of these Virgins, Ablel Oslanstinthad, Daughter of the Renowned WeaponSmith Ber Oslanstinthad, who was one of the victims of the vampire o ya, forgot to mention that the vampire killed my legendary weaponsmith... Fired the ballista straight into the face of the vampire. The vampire was killed instantly from the impact. The dwarves began to celebrate! for both the horde and the vampire were slain! But this would not be Dwarf Fortress if this were so, and Fun began to realize that the vampire was slain! They regrouped and charged the walls, slaughtering all the celebrating dwarves before the mayor realized what was happening. And so concludes the story of a Hero Vampire

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2013, 06:08:15 pm »

Short epic tale

The Elf hater Azuz began a slow walk towards the mighty fort Doomcorpse The Angry Pall which broke into a run. At last he was here!

Slowly again, he approached the gate and told of his skills of woodcutting, burning the wood, and making the ash into lye. so he took his axe and went down into the caverns when a horrid forgotten beast attacked. He ran but was cornered. on one side was a high drop, two were walls, and the fourth led to the monster. He stood determined to face his fate. It attepted to bite him but he dodged, and then struck back with his axe. And so an epic battle began. for three days and three nights they fought, till the beast lay with its legs mangled and it's organs spilled, bleeding from a thousand gaping wounds.
 Azuz calmly stepped forward, despite his broken shoulder and leg and his torn face. He was exhausted and starving, but the monster was not dead yet. it tore off part of his leg, but he might still survive, if only, if only, allies got to him in time. but then it struck again and he dodged. Off the cliff. Into deep water. Twelve stories below. 
RIP Azuz. A mighty hero. I forged aI forged an appriate burial, complete with high value items, traps, and guardians

Raxor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2013, 08:21:19 am »

My first goblin theif, he stole my only pickaxe (i hadn't found anything sutable to get another) but i had no miilitary at all, so i sent a group of unarmed dwarves to dipatch him. the goblin promptly punches one of them in the face, killing him instantly (somehow he suffocated) the next dwarf grabbed the goblin theif, by the eyeball with his eyeball, (blinding the goblin in the process) and throws him in a nearby river... i was left pickaxe-less.

Doomhammer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2013, 01:20:02 pm »

Just got a new one

So I've started out a new fortress somewhere up north. No mountainside nearby so I burrowed in. Got everyone nice and underground, miners digging stockpiles too large.
By the time they're ready, it's summer. A wave of migrants appear. Nothing big. 4. As soon as they hit the map, one of them, a lye maker, instantly goes berserk and start chasing a panicked migrant all around the map.
Guess he knew what was coming to him: Stone Detail Duty.
First time this happens to me. Bug or something?
The equation strikes you with a squared number, but the shot is parried! You counterstrike! You strike the equation with the tip of your Xblue ink penX, storing a number in a parameter and creating a quadratic equation! The equation falls over! You strike the equation with the tip of your Xblue ink penX, tearing apart the problem! An X has been found! An X has been found! The equation loses consciousness! The equation has been struck down!

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2013, 09:58:33 am »

In my newest fort I had the "friendly trader" appear at the edge of the screen. That is not very useful, but it didn't bother me much.
Then a werehorse appeared, bit my trader and ran off.

A month later that trader turned into a werehorse himself.

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2013, 09:32:09 pm »

Tatònul was a not a smart dwarf, and so he thought it was in his best interest to migrate to a hole in the wall in the middle of nowhere. He was wrong. Due to his slight knowledge in the way of ranged weapons the company carpenter made him a shoddy crossbow, and a ragged looked dwarf lead his horse to a dark corner of the fortress. Later, he was supplied with some bone bolts and a freshly made quiver and he was promptly recruited into the militia. Besides Tatònul, there was only one other militia dwarf, Alekakrul, who recieved the first forged object: a iron battle axe.

As the crossbowdwarf stared dumbly at the archery target, the expidition leader shook his head in dismay. "Dwarf!" He said. "Get to work."

The crossbow dwarf said with a restrained expression on his face, "I'm trying." And he glared at the target some more.

And so Tatònul stared at an archery target for many days.

And that was how it was decided that he was to practice on the local wildlife. His first target was a lonely wombat, and he was able to pin-cushion the animal well enough. Afterwards his killings gained momentum, killing for meat, glory, and pleasure. wren men, owls, and thieves all fell down under his aim.

Eventually he grow confident in his skill and yet a another daily foe entered his territory: A giant mantis. This beast was about the size of a full-blown llama but green.. and with barbs.

As the first bolt missed its mark, the mantis dived from the sky and plowed the dwarf over. The oversized bug dug his forearm into his left hand and wrenched, and the hand plopped off and hung on the barbs of the forearms of the mantis. Tatònul became pale; he was stunned to the his left hand now a bloody stump. The mantis gave a screech of victory and slashed off his right hand.

The axeman was not far away, and he certainly heard the screech. His axe uselessly tapped against the bug, and only managed to scare it away.

Tatònul awoke on the hospital a few days later. His stumps were crusted with blood and no repair was done to them. The rot luckily never came and he promptly went to fetch his crossbow... and failed.

And that's how Tatònul came a melee fighter.

To this day he fights foes of the fortress by biting, kicking, and weakly grappling other foes. He even managed to kick a forgotten beast to its demise. Yes, Tatònul became a hero.

He was not a smart dwarf, but, then again, the militia doesn't need smart dwarves.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 27, 2013, 03:35:38 am »

I'm not sure what release this story comes from. I think it was the first release with those major changes to how targeting worked in adv mode combat.

one of my weapon smiths was struck by a fey mood and grabbed some bars of adamantine - and made a warhammer (of course ::)). not funny in itself, really, except the artefact was called "tiredwines". thinking it was at least kind of amusing, I checked his personality/current mood page and found that he had been bored with the lack of variety of drinks lately. what makes it perfect is that, at that point, I wasn't making fortresses with above-ground farms, meaning my alcohol stockpiles featured dwarven wine almost exclusively.

coincidence, of course - which makes it pretty amazing.

tl;dr pure coincidence constructs a narrative where a weapon smith, bored with the wine in the fort, takes revenge by depleting a valuable metal to make a useless weapon and calls it "tiredwines".

Juxtap0se

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2013, 07:28:10 am »

Hey folks I'm new to both DF and these forums. Anywho, I just channelled out my very first moat. I was so proud of it! Unlike many of the other things for this game, I didn't have to look up how other people did it. Unfortunately, I forgot that water freezes in the winter and some goblin snatcher came by to grab up a child! I guess this is the fun I keep hearing about?
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three.
Elayne Boosler
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13