Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer Personality Profiling  (Read 3633 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Adventurer Personality Profiling
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:38:15 pm »

With the jump to 0.34.0x, I've recently taken to exploring Adventure Mode seriously for the first time.  I enjoyed the new cities and some of the new features, but the game still felt extremely hollow and lifeless.  There are bugs partly to blame and a huge list of features-to-be-implemented to blame for that, of course, but a recurring problem I found kept nagging at me, as well, and it is one that I don't think is going to be addressed with what is being planned.

The following are the most relevant already-planned aspects of the game:

Most relevantly, the Personality And Needs Rewrite, as part of "release 8" would be the foundational model for this suggestion.

Spoiler: Old Devpages (click to show/hide)

The Proposed Solution:

Spoiler: Overall Karma (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationship Types (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Loyalty Dilemmas (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changing Gears (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: On "Karma Rewards" (click to show/hide)

... and I thought this was going to be a short one...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:39:34 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Personality Profiling
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:59:51 pm »

I'm going to post in this spot, just in case I need an extra post for room to edit things in.  (I frequently do.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 05:44:29 pm »

Not much of an adventure mode player here, heck it is almost untouched by me. I play df mainly for the fortress mode. Though the growlanser series you cited looks really interesting, and is now one I'm gonna have to try out eventually.

As far as your suggestion goes, it does sound nice. And jus maybe I'd have to give adventure mode an honest try if it is implemented. I've always seen it as a pretty boring kill everything you can until it kills you mode, as there isn't much else to do. Guess you could explore forts you made in it, but you likely already know the layout of them. And judging from your post not much has really changed in that aspect of adventure mode. Anyways, maybe if this does add some meaningful things to do in adventure mode, it'd definately be a plus. I just dunno how hard all this would be to do with the way df is currently setup.

Well good suggestion and maybe some others will have some good thoughts on it as well.

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:11:54 pm »

If you like games where your character's personality and background are integrated into the story, you'd probably really like interactive fiction. Try games like Spider and Web, Varicella, Photopia, or Savoir Faire. There are hundreds and hundreds more you can play, but those works have some of the less everyman-like player characters. There's a school of thought that says interactive fiction is a better computer-based heir of pen and paper RPG play than actual computer RPGs.

There's a learning curve, but compared to that of DF, it's a speed bump. However, there are games intended for new players, such as Dreamhold, Floatpoint, or Aotearoa.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:21:16 pm by JasonMel »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 12:17:39 am »

If you like games where your character's personality and background are integrated into the story, you'd probably really like interactive fiction. Try games like Spider and Web, Varicella, Photopia, or Savoir Faire. There are hundreds and hundreds more you can play, but those works have some of the less everyman-like player characters. There's a school of thought that says interactive fiction is a better computer-based heir of pen and paper RPG play than actual computer RPGs.

There's a learning curve, but compared to that of DF, it's a speed bump. However, there are games intended for new players, such as Dreamhold, Floatpoint, or Aotearoa.

I haven't seen something like this since way back in the old text adventure days, and I enjoy few things more than novel new forms of game.  Thanks for sharing.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 11:42:22 pm »

Edit:
Wrong place to post.