Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Animal Training update  (Read 49464 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Training update
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2012, 08:06:34 pm »

That sounds like a bug... maybe you should report it with a save?

Done. Save link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5992

Err, you should report it on the bug tracker.  Put the DFFD link in the description, there.

DFFD's "buggy saves" category is just for categorization, it doesn't actually report a bug.

I did that as well already. With "done" in my previous post, I meant, I reported it on Mantis. I just put the save up here as well if anyone likes to have a look at it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2012, 08:16:35 pm »

What determines if something can be trained for war or hunting?

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2012, 08:17:53 pm »

[TRAINABLE] = War & Hunting
[TRAINABLE_WAR] & [TRAINABLE_HUNTING] are exclusive.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2012, 08:44:31 pm »

So do we have a summary of all the changes so far?

here's what I understand from reading this thread (haven't started playing the new version yet, I want to know what's changed first, so I bet some of this will be wrong)
All taming and training is initiated from the z-Animals screen. Kennels are no longer used for taming or training
A wild animal must remain in a cage to be tamed. Animals that came in from the wild will slowly un-tame themselves over time and your trainers will retame them to keep them under control, but animals that were born from a tamed mother will be naturally tame and will not deteriorate
Tame animals can be trained for hunting or war on an animal training zone. Training does not deteriorate, but if a tame animal loses its tameness then the training will ofc disappear?
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2012, 09:09:17 pm »

1.All taming and training is initiated from the z-Animals screen. Yes.

2.Kennels are no longer used for taming or training I'm not sure.
3.A wild animal must remain in a cage to be tamed. As before, yes.
4.Animals that came in from the wild will slowly un-tame themselves over time and your trainers will retame them to keep them under control, but animals that were born from a tamed mother will be naturally tame and will not deteriorate So it seems. Unknown as of yet if this counts for animals fully trained into being war animals.
5.Tame animals can be trained for hunting or war on an animal training zone. Yes.
6.Training does not deteriorate, but if a tame animal loses its tameness then the training will ofc disappear? See 3.
:)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2012, 09:22:12 pm »

My turkey hen (1st generation offspring from the tame hen I brought on embark) gave birth to semi-wild poults.

That sounds like a bug... maybe you should report it with a save?

This just happened to me, too. Semi-wild poults!
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2012, 09:53:31 pm »

Ah, here it is, #5701.  I couldn't find it until I specifically searched for "poults" for some reason, even though I was looking at the issues view by date reported, and didn't see anything.

If people get any other domestic animals giving birth to not-fully-domesticated creatures, be sure to add on.  I doubt it's just turkeys, but maybe the bug is specific to embark-purchased creatures, and maybe it isn't.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2012, 10:13:04 pm »

Okay, I can confirm it's not just poults. Just got semi-wild chicks, too. Not sure why it would be a bug, though.

ALSO. Did anyone else notice that when you set to train (say, one of your semi-wild poults), it shows you a list of dwarves? And did anyone notice that THOSE DWARVES ARE ONLY THE DWARVES THAT HAVE ANIMAL TRAINING TURNED ON?? This is the first place in the game that I have seen the game REPORTING TO THE OVERSEER what labors are ON in a dwarf.

How do I know? Therapist shows that I have over ten dwarves iwth training skill over dabbling. When I look at the menu, only four are listed, and they are the ones Therapist says have the labor turned on. I can check by turning labors on or off in therapist and seeing the listed dwarves change in the "train your semi-wild poults" area.

This is cool.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2012, 10:23:57 pm »

Not sure why it would be a bug, though.

Domestic creatures are born and bred to be domesticated over thousands of generations - you don't see a cow turn back into a wild bison.  There's a difference between being a dog that hasn't been taught tricks, and being a wolf that has not had it instinctively drilled into them that humans are their friends.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2012, 10:25:21 pm »

Not sure why it would be a bug, though.

Domestic creatures are born and bred to be domesticated over thousands of generations - you don't see a cow turn back into a wild bison.  There's a difference between being a dog that hasn't been taught tricks, and being a wolf that has not had it instinctively drilled into them that humans are their friends.

I see the logic. It will be interesting to see what happens with these birds. I'll leave a few untrained and see what happens when they hit adulthood.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2012, 10:32:19 pm »

By the way, nightwhips, were your chickens from embark, as well?  Or did you trade for them?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2012, 11:06:26 pm »

[TRAINABLE] = War & Hunting
[TRAINABLE_WAR] & [TRAINABLE_HUNTING] are exclusive.

Ta, but how can you tell, in game, which creatures can be trained for war/hunting, and which can not? I WANT WAR KOALAS!

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2012, 11:11:52 pm »

I've gotten plenty of animals to "General Knowledge" Is there higher? So far I've discovered

A few facts
General Knowledge
???
Domestic

Can anyone fill in the blank? Can a wild creature type ever be made domestic?
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2012, 11:43:45 pm »

Can anyone fill in the blank? Can a wild creature type ever be made domestic?

Based on what Toady said earlier, I think not, because there are problems with the fact that "domestic" is basically implied by a permanent token that is part of the creature itself, and not something that is a sliding-scale thingy like the exotic tameness or culture knowledge.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2012, 03:02:41 am »

Okay, I can confirm it's not just poults. Just got semi-wild chicks, too. Not sure why it would be a bug, though.

ALSO. Did anyone else notice that when you set to train (say, one of your semi-wild poults), it shows you a list of dwarves? And did anyone notice that THOSE DWARVES ARE ONLY THE DWARVES THAT HAVE ANIMAL TRAINING TURNED ON?? This is the first place in the game that I have seen the game REPORTING TO THE OVERSEER what labors are ON in a dwarf.

How do I know? Therapist shows that I have over ten dwarves iwth training skill over dabbling. When I look at the menu, only four are listed, and they are the ones Therapist says have the labor turned on. I can check by turning labors on or off in therapist and seeing the listed dwarves change in the "train your semi-wild poults" area.

This is cool.
I agree. That is really cool.
I hope more user friendly things like that make it into updates.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9