Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A small mining, woodcutting, plant gathering, remove construction optimisation.  (Read 1189 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Currently when a dwarf is mining a tile, he will try to stand to the west from it. I propose a quick check if the tile to be mined (or woodcutted, or plant gathered, or construction removed) is on the same z-level, and directly adjacent to the dwarf (ie: dz==0 && max{|dx|, |dy|} ==1). If yes, then the Dwarf mines that tile from where he is standing. This will cut a bit on pathfinding, and dwarfs won't have to waste so much time pointlessly walking around, so it will speed up the game a bit, and is really simple to implement.

A more advanced version of this would be to not assign another dwarf to mining a tile with some active miner within 2 tiles, and miners mining all directly adjacent tiles designated for mining before moving. It would really help to scale up the efficiency of mining with the number of miners.

This suggestion is my proposed partial fix for "Improved designation execution", currently on ESV.

EDIT: 0.34.11 does something pretty close to this and it works good, so this suggestion is much less important now.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:00:31 am by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral