Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Faerie Solitaire Givaway (25000 Copies)  (Read 4205 times)

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Faerie Solitaire Givaway (25000 Copies)
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:28:15 pm »

Hey guys, the devs of this game are making a givaway in steamgifts, chances are they have more keys that people going into the raffle, so its basically a free game, just wanted to share.

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/0XItL/faerie-solitaire

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Faerie Solitaire Givaway (25000 Copies)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 10:21:50 pm »

Haha wow!  That is a lot of copies.  :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:20:44 pm »

I have been outdone! lol
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:12:16 am »

I sent my buddy "Secret of the Magic Crystal" as a joke last Christmas. He sent me Faerie Solitaire back. Someone might enjoy it...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:14:28 am »

One time for christmas I got my friend a copy of Sneak King.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 02:57:06 am »

This is a very interesting marketing strategy.  They clearly want to maximize interest in the game, likely to stir up interest for the sequel, so instead of releasing it for free they hold an easily winnable raffle for a finite (but large) number of copies for a finite amount of time.  While nobody would care about it being released for free (most flash portals are inundated with simple puzzle games with Skinner box RPG mechanics), creating a sense of a limited time offer is a proven strategy for marketing a product, or in this case, getting the consumer to check out the page, enter the raffle, and download the game.  The only thing I'd have done differently is that I would have offered a few less copies, say 5000-10,000, as falling short of the total would make their game look unpopular while slightly overshooting wouldn't hurt the goal of generating buzz.

Well it's either that or they misplaced three zeros and I'm grossly overestimating them.  I'm also wondering why they're selling their game on Steam, when it doesn't strike me as something that would appeal to that demographic while it could likely thrive as a Facebook microtransaction farm.  While I admire their innovative approach to marketing, I can't say that they do a good job of selling the idea of the product..  Is it just me or is their pitch unappealing and bizarrely worded?
Don't like solitaire? It has a bad reputation because of many bad games, but we would like to change that. We are making solitaire games which are fun to play and have a lot to offer. We make other sorts of games too of course. Like Dark Souls? Monster Hunter? EVE? So do we, and we try to bridge the gap between the games we like to play and less popular genres to make it easier for people who may normally not like games like solitaire to have a good time playing the games we make. Good luck to all who enter!
Also, he'd better not be implying that his game is in the same league as, let alone above Spider Solitaire.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 03:36:22 am »

I'll admit I wouldn't have given this a second thought if it didn't cause my "free things are free!" sense to tingle. Marketing strategy definitely worked at least once. Steam has other casual/puzzle stuff available as well: the Pop Cap library and some unrelated titles.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

agentorangesoda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:41:55 am »

One time for christmas I got my friend a copy of Sneak King.

Hell yes

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 11:15:40 am »

I know its a marketing strategy, a good one if you ask me. But the guy (Brian) seems really cool, he is really trying. After creating the gift, he joined the steam chat, he left his mail and he said anyone interested in game development should contact him with any questions and he stayed there answering (and making some) questions. I guess thats not that strange for us on Bay12, becouse we also have a few indie developers in the forum, but in other places its really strange for that to happen.
I just think its great when developers care about users.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 03:18:22 am »

They're using this to promote their company mainly, they do have a sequel in the works but also a dungeon crawl RPG kind of game as well IIRC. I personally like Faerie Solitaire pretty well for what it is, it's a decent time waster.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 08:49:59 am »

This poor guy is going to have to email thousands upon thousands of people.

I've gotta admit that this is a stupendously clever move from a marketing perspective, but seriously, who's gonna do all the typing?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 09:48:47 am »

I've gotta admit that this is a stupendously clever move from a marketing perspective, but seriously, who's gonna do all the typing?

I assume he has automated the process to rip email addresses and deliver keys. If not, I feel for him.
When I run giveaways it takes me roughly 1.5 hours per 100 entrants. I have to manually cut and paste names into a list, run the list through random.org, find the winners and message them back and forth until everyone has their prize.
If I did it on a bigger scale I would have to create a webform and automate the entire thing.

It's a smart strategy on his part to promote his games this way, especially if his next game is bigger.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 06:18:15 pm »

I assume he has automated the process to rip email addresses and deliver keys. If not, I feel for him.
When I run giveaways it takes me roughly 1.5 hours per 100 entrants. I have to manually cut and paste names into a list, run the list through random.org, find the winners and message them back and forth until everyone has their prize.
If I did it on a bigger scale I would have to create a webform and automate the entire thing.

It's a smart strategy on his part to promote his games this way, especially if his next game is bigger.

When I got my key, he just handed out a txt file with 10000 keys in it and let people grab their own :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 06:27:43 pm »

I have a deck of cards. Why do I need this?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 03:17:03 am »

I have a deck of cards. Why do I need this?  :P
Because faeries.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.
Pages: [1] 2