Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How would someone describe your fortress dining room?  (Read 9860 times)

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
Re: How would someone describe your fortress dining room?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 03:45:41 pm »

A huge hallway with long rows of stone tables leading to a raised dias where the king and nobles eat. The floors in between the tables are carved with the history of the fort as are the three stories of walls. In places on the walls windows break up the engravings and offer a viewpoint from various others areas. One of the long walls of the hall is a series of double doors leading to the storerooms and kitchens while both short ends are studded with doors leading into the corridors. The whole thing resembles a viking longhouse but carved out of stone in my mind. If I could place cooking pits and roaring fires I would.

Awesomness, it comes in Urists.
In the grim darkness of DF, there can be only FUN

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 04:20:49 pm »

A massive entryway, larger even than the fortress's wide entrance hall, leads to a grand plaza.  In these halls, engravings cover every surface, telling the history of these lands.  History that mostly results in dismembered elves, since there were plenty of goblin/elf wars nearby, but that's somewhat beside the point.

Between the grand columns supporting a massive vaulted ceiling, giant rows of tables, capable of seating hundreds, are lined up.  Each sorted by material, such that granite tables are next to glass next to obsidian. 

Along the walls, behind moats, cages display the fiercest creatures this proud fortress has caught - Titans and dragons as well as the generals of goblin armies, in a humiliating "zoo" for the amusement of feasting dwarves.  In the corners, feeding these moats, are waterfalls, with water pumped in perpetual cycles using the finest dwarven engineering. 

In the middle and higher up, in ordered patterns, the walls recede or protrude, with windows looking down onto the grand dining plaza.  Some of these windows peer into to the personal offices and throne rooms of the highest officials of the fortress and mountainhome, letting them spend their leisure moments basking in this monument to the fortress's wealth and success. 

In the center showcase of this all, a single silver statue tells the most important story of all: The founding of the fortress.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 09:13:47 pm »

Two sets of double doors open upon the 8 least impressive pieces of furniture in the place; a table against each side wall, two tables in the middle, each table with its chair, repeated off into the distance. That distance is counted out as 61 sets, and the furniture grows better as you go further in, as the founder mason grew in skill and she gained obsidian to work with, her dark masterworks clustered at the back before a few display cases with artifacts. The walls are smoothed and bare, save for the waterfall carved into one side. All who pass by are cleansed, and trolls, chocobo, and a veritable herd of carnivorous dinosaurs and lizards cluster there.

Copperthorn is young, and we 50-odd dwarves barely make a dent in this legendary cavern, but a second piece is already dug; carve out the wall in between, fill it with furniture, and let the waterfall be the center of a 61 by 16 dining hall. It's already Royal according to the bookkeeper, but once doubled it will truly be worthy of a dwarven king, for it is the harsh splendor of size the dwarves value.

After the expansion, once the population stabilizes — and once the engraver is officially Legendary — the walls will be filled with the history of this site, and this kingdom.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 11:58:46 pm »

THE BLOOD

WHY IS THERE SO MUCH BLOOD
[Signature]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 04:15:34 pm »

A wonderful room full of high quality chairs and tables arranged in a pleasing fashion with the history of the fortress engraved on the walls.

At least as high as the engravers could reach.  Above arm reach is an assymetrical roof of rough stone, physics defying loose soil and sand, and the occasional tree root. All because the architect couldn't be assed enough to build stairs to allow the upper areas of the room to be engraved and worked like the rest of the room.   

Down the hall the large scale vermin house known as the food stockpile is visible, with slabs of meat just lying on the ground wherever a open spot could be found, the rats, hamsters and fly swarms in that room alone outnumbering the entire population of the fortress two to one.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 05:31:39 pm »

"This tiny room filled with crummy furniture is the dining hall? The actual dining hall is under construction? It'll be lavish and legendary?
Great! When will it be done? What do you mean you're tired of that question?"

I can never seem to finish my grand plans for a truly legendary dining hall so the damn thing never gets finished and the dwarves just make due with the temporary room I make before beginning construction of the real deal. It has to be perfect, no matter what!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 07:34:43 pm »

big
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 07:45:45 pm »

"This tiny room filled with crummy furniture is the dining hall? The actual dining hall is under construction? It'll be lavish and legendary?
Great! When will it be done? What do you mean you're tired of that question?"

I can never seem to finish my grand plans for a truly legendary dining hall so the damn thing never gets finished and the dwarves just make due with the temporary room I make before beginning construction of the real deal. It has to be perfect, no matter what!

I tend to have the same problems with some of my "showcase" fortresses in general.

"OK, so it has to be a giant, 3d fractal, looking like a massive crystaline geode, with the dining hall in the cavity in the center, and all the closest rooms being residential, and the further-out rooms being the workshops and stockpiles, and it all has to spiral outwards, nautilus-style..."
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 05:10:07 am »

I tend to have the same problems with some of my "showcase" fortresses in general.
My forts tend to go one of two paths:

- "It shall be a marvel to behold! Go go gadget color-coordinated mega bridge/aqueduct/superhighway!" --> (Jet Bridge destroyed by Urist McTantrumpants)*n -->  (Olin McStranded has starved to death)*m.

- "Meh, I'll just slap some farms here and a dorm over yonder and figure the rest out from there..." --> Everything went better than expected. :D

Turns out Urist & co. can't really appreciate the architectonial marvel they're about to create if it involves sleeping in the same mud that they are forced to drink instead of booze and gnawing on the same piece of stale cat tallow all year.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 03:43:44 am »

A dozen of stone tables and chairs aligned, as well as smoothed ground. Sometimes around twenty. Generally simple, but still counts as legendary or at least very good quality. If I feel bothered I may add statues and engrave the floor.

I imagine it as a nordic mead hall as well. Where warriors eat together and regale themselves with tales of battle, bloodshed and glory.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 03:50:25 am by Naryar »

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 05:33:58 pm »

Normally, I have a humongous hall filled with tables and chairs.  Typically with no uniform facing.  Examples include everything facing the middle of the room or arranged in big square table sections so people can sit together to eat.

My current fort has no dining room.  The fort's dormitories (big rooms with many beds in this case) also have tables at the end of each bed.  I'm hoping this will mean that, if needed, I can convert any dorm into a makeshift hospital at a moment's notice.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 06:00:14 pm »

At first, they call it the wagon. Then, they call it that big room near the food stockpile. Eventually, they call it that smooth room near the food stockpile, then a partially engraved room with a few tables and chairs in it. Eventually, they would describe it as something like:
A massive room, filled with rows of stone tables and thrones. All surfaces are covered in fine images of clouds, diamonds, elves taming eagles, etc. In between the rows of tables and chairs are aisles just wide enough to walk down, with occasional statues or other decorative furniture. Oh, and there's a door.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]