Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 109708 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2012, 10:50:06 am »

Still alive and well. You can't hide from me you bastards! Ah, the power to pick your battles... I'm coming for you B.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Will have to wait 'til tomorrow--getting late here...
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2012, 11:05:26 am »

Bah, made it to 8/Research, but actually ended up with a lower score than the one on the high score list - a mere 7028.

Ended up in a not-so-great position as I desperately tried to find some replacement parts.

Peak state was listed as

My big break was finding for of those Improved Cesium-ion Thrusters, which allowed me to zip through levels... well, until they all got shot off.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2012, 11:22:50 am »

For anyone having trouble with pests(or any equivalent), the trick is to fire PAST them if you can. You should line up with them also for max effectiveness(like not at a diagonal). Due to how the aiming engine works, shooting 3-4 tiles past them semi-guarantees it will go through the tile the pest is in. From there, its random luck(probably something to do with the 9 'smaller' squares in a large square), but you have a better chance of hitting then actually trying to hit them. This is especially effective against large robots(due to the aforementioned smaller squares idea).

Or use explosives. Sweet, sweet, explosives.

Also, for material levels, NEVER pass up lgt pulse cannons. They do incredible EMP damage for material levels, and have a cool particle effect.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2012, 12:21:48 pm »

Also, for material levels, NEVER pass up lgt pulse cannons. They do incredible EMP damage for material levels, and have a cool particle effect.
AND +targeting too, right?   Yea I squeal with delight whenever I spot those :o

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2012, 12:49:05 pm »

Impressive run. Everyone can check out his record on the high scores list. Can you really get by with that little power and all those slots? Surprising. Or is that just because you were stacking on a lot of random extra slots at the end while you ran around naked?
Latter. I was hoping to eventually get lucky and get armed again when I found some propulsion and matter. And I got close at level 8.

Then I got swarmed and had to make a run for it before I even had much time to use the parts I found.

But yeah, you can get around with that little power. Keep your movement high, never stop moving, use non-combat robots as metalshields, don't go down 1-tile halls if you can (or you'll get blocked in), don't go into rooms if you can (or you could get blocked in), avoid heavy enemies (B) when possible, don't fire at your enemy, just run like a little girl and hope that you're at least a little bit lucky. Your core should have enough max HP to tank it hopefully.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:51:03 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2012, 01:45:05 pm »

What kind of equipment do you need to scan for the other droids like that?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2012, 01:59:55 pm »

Sensor Array will show droids within range as ?'s - he has "Long Range" array so he can see em REAL far.

Then the Signal Interpreter (which REQUIRES a functioning Sensor Array) will instead make the ?'s show up as the droid symbol - this is AWESOME for knowing what you're about to get into, letting you prep optimally for it.

It's a really handy combo, but does take 2 slots.  A lot of times, once I have a sense of what is where, I will swap out at least the SIgnal Interpreter just before combat for something a little more tactical :grin: Even the Sensor Array, but if the combat takes more than a couple rounds that does put you in danger of being swarmed without warning...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2012, 02:13:21 pm »

Welp, my best try yet. Unfortunately, I did NOT pay attention to my core. Was too busy being annoyed by a virus(50% hit rate, 9 'weapon' fires, 0 hits. RAGE D:)

I may or may not submit this. Probably will try again later. Also, apparently, quarantine testing beds are worth a lot of rating. And if you EVER see a rocket battery, pick it up. +50% targeting. o_O
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2012, 02:18:24 pm »

Submit that badboy. That score would push me off 3rd place, even though you only made it to level 4!

Edit: Son of a bitch, I just got surrounded by six Pests in level 2!

Edit2: WHY ARE THERE SO MANY PESTS OH MY GOD.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:24:08 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2012, 04:08:08 pm »

Rockets away!

EDIT: I just found an EM Pulse Gun in the Scrapyard!  Awesome!

Huey

• Bay Watcher
  • If a tree kills in tha forest does it make a sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2012, 05:40:38 pm »

Hi Kyzrati, this game is freaking awesome! So far my best run is still my first, around 12.5k points at factory 6. I really like how the whole game is much more tactical than pretty well all other roguelike's that I have played, and part combinations increase that even more.

So you have sound effects in after a fashion, would it be possible to get some sort of fx for weapons firing and explosions, etc? I don't know if thats possible, but I basically hear the PPC and stuff from Mechwarrior in my head while I play :)

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents, I will probably submit a score file at some point, but I am still desperately trying to get a viable flight setup going lol. The RNG in this game is reminding me of Nethack of all things, very unfair at times, and quite the gift-giver at others.
There's a question mark in the place of a spark
that used to be an answer
aiming straight for the heart but you missed the mark and
the arrow turned to cancer

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2012, 05:53:34 pm »

If you do add weapon effects, make it optional please. While the other sound effects are cool, repetitively hearing weapon effects may get on my nerves.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2012, 08:57:17 pm »

The game already supports weapon sound effects, I just didn't have time to go in and pick/add specific sounds for them. (I didn't even have time to make any real new effects--just copied them all from X@COM and recolored a few.) Someone else could theoretically do it without my help if I gave some simple instructions; adding sounds is as easy as dropping a sound file into the data directory and specifying which weapon particle plays that sound. It's completely external (no compiling required), but since you'd be modifying the data, it would invalidate your score :(

I'll talk about modding etc after the initial competition ends.

Welp, my best try yet. Unfortunately, I did NOT pay attention to my core.
For the next fix, I'm going to add a warning message and sound if your core is low on integrity. This after I find myself often forgetting about the core as well since it generally takes damage so gradually...

Hi Kyzrati, this game is freaking awesome! So far my best run is still my first, around 12.5k points at factory 6.
Thanks! And that's a damn nice score for 6/Factory--patiently awaiting your record sheet (obviously there's still time to improve ;))

The RNG in this game is reminding me of Nethack of all things, very unfair at times, and quite the gift-giver at others.
I'm sometimes suspicious of the RNG myself, but every time I go actually look at what it produces in testing, nothing seems out of the ordinary... How strange :-\
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2012, 08:58:41 pm »

The interface is really pretty good now, the swapping saves a ton of ton of fiddling.  Still I have some notes I made while playing of stuff I wish I could do/see - some of them are kind of dumb/complicating/cluttering in retrospect, but I'll list them in case somebody felt strongly about the same problem or constraint and might get an idea to improve it a better way. Sorry for the wall of text, but here goes:

The inventory list displays numbers 1-6 but also displays one line above or below when scrollable, could you make 0/7 secretly work the same as the displayed numbers for swaps/drops/equips of those displayed but un-numbered items? (but keep the interface displaying numbers only 1-6 to show that it's scrollable in that direction, of course) - save scrolling when you can SEE the darned thing already :D

More Notification of problems/status on the main screen:
Put the Energy minus Upkeep balance on the Energy Line, turn that part red when negative.  Helps when you're turning stuff on/off, and when something got shot away and you didn't notice.   Maybe put it at the end, with the movement energy cost too - that would help when swapping in/turning on/off Propulsion items.
Turn the Energy line yellow/orange/red when it's getting low.
Turn the matter line reddish if it's under 100? flash it if under 50?
Turn the core line Yellow/Orange/Red as dropping, flash when under 100? 50? 10%?
Can you tell I kind of like the look where the cockpit is all red flashing danger lights? :D :D

Display the Mass (cur/base)/X on the Movement line - nice to glance at to know when to switch in Propulsion things or turn on Mass Readjustment things, or for that "gee if I just save ONE weight I'd move faster".  Where cur/base is like on the Status screen, and the X is the overweight multiplier.

Make the color change on the whole Temperature line so it's more obvious, and if you do the other color change things it will need to be more obvious too - maybe tint a couple of lines/the rest of that panel? Or put it below movement instead of above and tint the blank line below it too?

On the Inventory Panel where it is titled I n v e n t o r y, could you add the (cur/max) right after that title, it's SOOOOO handy to know when a Remove will drop vs go into inventory and when you have room to  pick up something.

If there's room, put the part type symbol at the beginning or end of the inventory line, make it easy  when looking through the list for the "I need ANYTHING to wear now" or "DAMN I need an engine" times.  I suggest making the symbol color the same as the damage status color?  Or the item subtype, since the damage status is already on the left?

It would be nice to be able to Sort the inventory - maybe s or shift-S could toggle sorting by Slot Type, Damage Status, Weight?  (To help with that "I need the lighest engine/armor I got so I can runnnnn!" and the "I want to drop my damaged junk" "which of my spare legs is least damaged" times, without doing a ton of scrolling back and forth and looking at the detail screens) - maybe put the sort order after the panel title ("by Type", "by Weight" etc)

Since some of this stuff does clutter up the display, maybe make it Toggleable possibly in the F7 display thing?  Call it "High Info Display" or "Tacticalized HUD" or something...

In that vein, in that mode display the Core Exposure % as (XX%) on the Core line...

Ctrl-Shift-U or something similar (alt-ctrl-u?) to UNDO the last swap (still charge matter/energy)  Handy for when you just want to swap in and test prototypes and then put your previously equipped part back, or you swapped something in and it made things unbearably worse.  I think repeated UNDOs should swap the 2 parts back and forth - also handy for swapping in another targetting computer for say a Scan Analyzer or similar...  It would be awesome if it tracked the previous part regardless of the Inventory tag since I see the unequipped item goes to the bottom of inventory, where it often takes an extra scroll or 2 to find.   POSSIBLY immediate back-to-back undos shouldn't charge the 2nd equip cost since you didn't actually take an action/gain any benefit from just checking your stats in a new configuration.

BOY I wish I could undo a drop item, I move between the mouse (ctrl-number to drop) and the keyboard (ctrl-number to equip), and pretty frequently mix them up and drop something I meant to equip.  In this case it would be great if there was an undo-drop that would undo that drop without the action cost.  Normally it's no big problem but it can be DAMN painful during combat like when you're running away, accidently drop something precious and it gets dropped a tile away, back towards the enemy - argh!  And it's a drag to be shot to bits for an interaction error  rather than a genuine tactical error.  To avoid abuse this should probably ONLY work without cost if the drop was the immediately preceding action.   Maybe alt-ctrl-d(rop)?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2012, 09:44:55 pm »

Wow, that's a lot to digest, and right when I was thinking I need to wind down Cogmind development so I can get back to X@COM before I'm flamed to death in the comments over there :o

I'll definitely make most of those additions. I don't want clutter though, at least not by default, so I'll probably add a special "tactical HUD" mode, as you suggest, which provides some of the features which would overwhelm new players (even more so than they already are ;)). Some of the more involved changes I may have to just keep note of for future reference.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24