Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 109387 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »

Blast!  6233 score- just three points shy of a spot higher on the list!

At one point, I had three Proton Missile Launchers equipped.  That was glorious.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2012, 02:28:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A consideration for a post-tourny change: a command to push past robots.  Enemy bots can pass you- why not the reverse?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2012, 07:54:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A consideration for a post-tourny change: a command to push past robots.  Enemy bots can pass you- why not the reverse?
Ouch.

A few days ago I added to my list the ability for flight propulsion to allow you to fly over robots, to give flying some other kind of realistic advantage since as is those parts are a little underpowered. With the right fast build, that would make sprinting to the end a bit easier, too, for players that want to do that.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 07, 2012, 04:06:13 pm »

A few days ago I added to my list the ability for flight propulsion to allow you to fly over robots, to give flying some other kind of realistic advantage since as is those parts are a little underpowered. With the right fast build, that would make sprinting to the end a bit easier, too, for players that want to do that.

That WOULD totally change things. I prefer taking hovering [purple] since energy tends to be plentiful in the later stages, even with only 3 power, the parts are pretty common and you tend to get at least decent mobility with them. In direct contrast to treads, which are pretty rare and slow, even at their best. Having said that, starting with treads, before you get the good hovers, worked out well for me.

I didn't see many flight units, but the ability to fly over units might make it worthwhile to hold onto the few semi-decent ones I see for emergencies. Extra points for the ability to quickly put other units between you and fire.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 07, 2012, 04:52:10 pm »

Are the mis-labeled scattered parts fixed yet?

Cause it has the little orange tracks symbol for wheels and then it's an ion engine...
Very annoying when I loot stuff :/
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:52:23 pm by eerr »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 07, 2012, 08:06:12 pm »

*allowing both the mouse cursor, and walking on the tile.

to read to the same part.

Visual scan and current tile scan should be seperate.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #246 on: April 07, 2012, 08:16:15 pm »

Are the mis-labeled scattered parts fixed yet?

Cause it has the little orange tracks symbol for wheels and then it's an ion engine...
Very annoying when I loot stuff :/
Hm... No one's reported this problem before, and I've never encountered it. It seems like confusion surrounding scan data misinterpretation, caused by your next comment:
*allowing both the mouse cursor, and walking on the tile.

to read to the same part.

Visual scan and current tile scan should be seperate.
True, current tile scan should be separate, and normally I would've done that, but I couldn't easily find the extra room on the HUD during the initial dev phase, so I combined the two.

I believe you're having a problem with the mouse cursor being visible while you move around, and whatever item the cursor is hovering over it always shows that in the scan data. So you might think it's showing what's under you, but it's not, hence the assumption that parts are "mislabeled". Due to the way scan data is updated, I can't force it to show what's under you (I tried to hack a fix way back at the beginning, but it didn't work very well so I removed it)--the only way to have that work properly is to hide/F2 to cursor and stick with the keyboard. Otherwise you'll have to pay attention to where the cursor is while moving. Sorry about that, but I don't think it's going to be fixed.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 07, 2012, 10:01:17 pm »

The fire function leaves the mouse randomly on the screen. Otherwise it wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe put it back where it came from, or a default spot? like the ui, or centered on kog?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:03:38 pm by eerr »

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #248 on: April 07, 2012, 10:06:38 pm »

The normal internal default is to move the cursor onto Cogmind as soon as you move, to make sure it reports what item is under you, but I have that disabled while the cursor is visible. Automatically moving the cursor is usually best avoided (from a UI design perspective), but I'll see about adding an override for that check as a specific optional toggle.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:59:05 pm by Kyzrati »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 07, 2012, 11:38:33 pm »

.... Right, at this rate I'll just suffer F12 instead.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 08, 2012, 03:58:01 am »

I'd like it if base accuracy without sensors or whatever was a bit higher, because for realism's sake I should not have a less than %30 chance to point blank someone with an assault rifle.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #251 on: April 08, 2012, 04:37:19 am »

I'd like it if base accuracy without sensors or whatever was a bit higher, because for realism's sake I should not have a less than %30 chance to point blank someone with an assault rifle.
There are a lot of factors that go into hit calculations, and in my experience under standard conditions at point blank you should rarely have less than 50%, much less 30%.

Now if you're overheating, and/or your target is small, flying, and moving very fast, then you shouldn't necessarily have better than 30%, if that, even at point blank. It's a turn-based game where everything looks static, but it does take into consideration relative movement rates and other things not reflected visually, so the idea of "realism" in this case can be a bit deceiving. Some players are perhaps annoyed at having difficulty hitting Swarmer class bots, but they are, after all, tiny little things zipping around in the air... (intended to annoy you ;) ). That's when you pull out the explosives.

Use 'q' to get full detail on how hit chance is calculated (manual2 lists the components identified in the log), find out exactly what is causing your low hit%, and try to resolve that issue.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #252 on: April 08, 2012, 09:34:13 am »

Final reminder that today is the last day to send in your Cogmind scores to participate in the current tournament! And don't shy away just because you don't have the greatest score--remember that there are achievements to be recognized for as well, and some of those players not currently in the top 10 already qualify.

[Scores will be accepted after the tournament as well (the list will be updated indefinitely), but the achievements are only going to be handed out as part of the tournament in my next blog post.]

Elmzran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Planetoid 3 Community
« Reply #253 on: April 08, 2012, 02:10:57 pm »

Submitted my High Score, currently 10th. Hopefully I'll get an achievement :D

I also made a topic for the game on my own forum community, found here. Everyone seems to be enjoying it so far; one of my friends who has always had an aversion to roguelikes is also enjoying Cogmind.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 08, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »

Kyzrati, I noticed that turning off sound is F11, next to suicide (F10).

May I suggest moving it away from F10, or adding a warning to committing suicide? Because one mistake on pressing the buttons and you're dead instantly, with no way to undo it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24