Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 109069 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2012, 11:10:22 am »

5) Time it takes to fire that weapon. 200 is the base time it takes to fire.
So the weapons in a volley get their times summed, but get a little less due to the volley effect?
Yep. Volley fire times:
#weps   time
1          200
2          325
3          425
4          475
5          525
6          550
7          575
8          595
9          615
10        625
As you can see, firing a huge volley has its advantages. You can fire 10 times as many weapons for only 3 times the time cost.

Also, yay bugs.
1) When an enemy fires from outside FOV, his shots aren't reported in the log;
2) Faulty prototypes are auto-identified.
Actually, neither of those are bugs ;D
1) I did that on purpose since you can't see who is firing. I could have given partial info, but decided not to do that yet.
2) Faulty prototypes are supposed to be auto-identified. Once you've identified a prototype once, you can tell which of them are faulty or not. I wonder if I should change that now, but that was the intention from the start.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2012, 11:17:12 am »

Yep. Volley fire times:
#weps   time
As you can see, firing a huge volley has its advantages. You can fire 10 times as many weapons for only 3 times the time cost.
Yaaay. Manual entry please? Oh, and BTW, how does time parameter affect this table? Is it flat bonus/penalty applied to the total volley fire time? (also, please rename it to something like delay or something ;))

1) I did that on purpose since you can't see who is firing. I could have given partial info, but decided not to do that yet.
But can we at least see whether it hit or missed and which part it hit? :(

Also:
3) A prototype wheel turned out to be... a wheel. :( A plain, unmodified wheeeeeeeeeeeel.  :'(

Nevermind.

EDIT: Oh, and could you add an option to edit the order of weapon firing without manually taking them off and reputting on in a different order?

EDIT2:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Are you absolutely sure this isn't a bug?

Unrelated edit:
So this is how being completely, utterly fucked feels...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:36:30 am by Dariush »

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2012, 11:34:40 am »

It's likely just corruption making you forget all about that wheel thing, so that the next wheel you encounter is a "prototype". I guess you can call it a bug though, but it's your core not the game  :D.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:36:13 am by Drakale »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2012, 11:36:40 am »

Oh. That's probably it.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:08 am »

Unrelated edit: So this is how being completely, utterly fucked feels...

At least your enemies had the decency to move out of the doorway.

I had a good run going that ended rather abruptly when I fled into a room, only to find there was no way out. 300% speed won't help you when there are half a dozen enemies sitting in the doorway shooting at you and you don't have enough power to fire back.

In other news, I found some kind of special room last playthrough - it had a 3-large door going to it, and inside was a large room containing at least a dozen prototypes of all different types... guarded by four high-level sentries. I was using a flyer body, as it happened, so I was able to duck in, grab a handful of stuff and run back out before they toasted me. Found some sweet stuff.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:12 pm »

Unrelated edit: So this is how being completely, utterly fucked feels...

At least your enemies had the decency to move out of the doorway.

At least you had weapons...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2012, 12:26:07 pm »

Nine grenade launchers in plain sight. What more could a man wish for? Oh, maybe not picking a speed'n'stealth build for the first time ever.

Oh great, another crash. I had two different armors equipped, was looking over my parts. I selected light plating and the game crashed. :( Maybe you should add some kind of infodump at crash to ease the determination of the cause?

BTW, an idea: add a 'panic mode': if it's turned on and you attempt to move without having enough energy, you instead wait a turn. Prevents the problem of frantically mashing the 'wait' button, waiting for the energy to recover.

And, for that matter, an indication of how overweight you are: either by using different adjectives or something like 'overweight x3'.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:50:06 pm by Dariush »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2012, 12:29:25 pm »

Nine grenade launchers in plain sight. What more could a man wish for? Oh, maybe not picking a speed'n'stealth build for the first time ever.

Actually, having a grenade launcher (or any kind of launcher, really) seems like it would be really useful to have around on a speed build. Not all the time, of course, but to keep in your inventory and equip when you need to widen corridors or blow open rooms to escape enemies.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2012, 01:02:01 pm »

Wow, I just had an epic run. First I tried a speed build, then almost died while losing everything and just barely escaping onto the next floor, found a Tier 5 engine, three legs and several decent guns, pwnd everything for a while, lost all matter, got everything shot off, found a new engine and some matter but by then there were like 10 yellow soldiers on my tail. :(

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2012, 01:31:46 pm »

Oh, a little thing :

Shouldn't miners' weapons be able to cut through walls ?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2012, 01:54:38 pm »

Running out of matter is far worse than running out of energy.  It just killed me after I got a bit too festive with making my own doors via rocket battery.

Also, I came up to Factory 2 and saw *three* advanced mass redistributors... right after I passed up several improved jet thrusters on the prior floor.  Ugh.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2012, 02:14:33 pm »

Y'know, it's funny.  I had an idea a few months ago for a roguelike pretty much exactly like this.  A motile self-deterministic machine that gathers parts and evolves itself for the task at hand, destroying other robots as it goes.  I pictured something more granular, but it's the exact same idea.  It's actually what got me to take up programming for srs for the first time ever.

And I couldn't love this game more for it.  Who doesn't like seeing someone else going to all the hard work to make something you wanted in the first place?

Now I just have to figure out how to leave the starting room without being blown away by swarmers.  I have to say, Cogmind is setting new standards in Roguelike Difficulty.  I haven't been this prone to game-start deaths since Caves of Qud.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2012, 03:10:33 pm »

Matter shortage just killed me again on Factory 1, which is where I always seem to cop it. Was doing well as a rolling kinetic death machine (some stacked improved targeting modules, advanced visual upgrades, prototype assault rifles and armour was helping - of note was how long my original armoured wheels lasted), before getting cornered and outnumbered from all sides. So, of course, out come my stockpiled rocket batteries, and everything goes boom, including my supply of matter. Cant seem to break that 5000 point barrier just yet.
This is a blank sig.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2012, 03:19:47 pm »

So uh... How do I save my game?  The ? menu says Control-S is Save & Quit, but I'm hammering Control-S (and Shift-S, Alt-S, and S) and no save/quit is happening.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2012, 03:48:46 pm »

Actually, having a grenade launcher (or any kind of launcher, really) seems like it would be really useful to have around on a speed build. Not all the time, of course, but to keep in your inventory and equip when you need to widen corridors or blow open rooms to escape enemies.

Especially as the mini grenade launcher only weighs 1...that medium laser you're packing probably weighs more.

Oh, and I forgot to mention this before: I had the same problem Aqizzar is having, no saving.

Course, I'm mainly concerned with maximizing score in minimal time (AlStar, you shall not win!), so it didn't bother me that much.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 24