Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 109722 times)

Chaosgabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2012, 07:42:20 pm »

Whoa, i have a blast playing this game. No noteable scores and none i sight as i suck at rougelikes, but i has a really novel feel to it. I was happy like a little child when i finally managed to bust open that transporter: Loads of light cannons! Then, on the next encounter i noticed that i am all out of matter to fire them. :D
Ah well. Is there a way to climb the stairs back up? And when/how do you evolve?
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.

010100000101001001000101010100000100000101010010010001010010000001010100010011110010
000001000100010010010100010100101100001000000100111000110000001100000100001000101110

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AirXgJdhuyq6dHNvWVVsZWF6S2xuZzdkSi1xSUdPeVE&hl=de#gid=0

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2012, 07:45:34 pm »

Ah well. Is there a way to climb the stairs back up? And when/how do you evolve?

Nope, it specifically says once you go up, you're up.  It's just like DoomRL.  And you evolve when you go to the next floor (after the first), but it's a good idea to scavenge every floor completely.

Anyway, still waiting on a bug fix/response to that "Control-S does nothing" problem.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2012, 07:47:29 pm »

So uh... How do I save my game?  The ? menu says Control-S is Save & Quit, but I'm hammering Control-S (and Shift-S, Alt-S, and S) and no save/quit is happening.
Note that "in Ctrl-S", the 'S' is upper case, so saving is actually ctrl-shift-s. It may look a bit confusing from the commands list, but I was trying to minimize the amount of space taken up by a given command entry to keep down the clutter. Upper case letters on the list always require a shift mod.

Oh, a little thing :
Shouldn't miners' weapons be able to cut through walls ?
Yeah, I wanted to do that but didn't have enough time.

Oh great, another crash. I had two different armors equipped, was looking over my parts. I selected light plating and the game crashed. :( Maybe you should add some kind of infodump at crash to ease the determination of the cause?
If it's a normal error caught by the game, it will show you a specific error message, but if it's something like a ptr issue it'll just CTD. There is a file called run.log created by the game during each run, and there's a small chance that even if there is no game error message it might contain indications of what caused the problem (though it's mostly used to record errors the game *does* know about). Some kind of dump probably wouldn't be as useful for me, since I've never learned how to use those. Normally I don't have to rely much on people helping me debug, since I code as slowly as necessary to make sure it's thoroughly debugged as I go (that's why there are almost no crash reports for X@COM, even though it's a *much* bigger game). But this being a 7DRL, didn't have that luxury.

About this crash, the error doesn't sound like it had anything to do specifically with the fact that you had two different armors equipped. There must've been something else behind the issue. I haven't had any time to play myself in the past few days, so no chance to catch bugs on my dev machine.

BTW, an idea: add a 'panic mode': if it's turned on and you attempt to move without having enough energy, you instead wait a turn. Prevents the problem of frantically mashing the 'wait' button, waiting for the energy to recover.
I think auto-waiting might be a bad thing if you didn't know you were low on energy and suddenly find out. If you haven't realized you're out of energy, you may want to think a bit before charging up, since you may want to use the energy on something else depending on the circumstances.

And, for that matter, an indication of how overweight you are: either by using different adjectives or something like 'overweight x3'.
Sure I can add that.

Yep. Volley fire times:
#weps   time
As you can see, firing a huge volley has its advantages. You can fire 10 times as many weapons for only 3 times the time cost.
Yaaay. Manual entry please? Oh, and BTW, how does time parameter affect this table? Is it flat bonus/penalty applied to the total volley fire time? (also, please rename it to something like delay or something ;))
I'll expand the manual with all this info at some point.

Time is a flat modifier to the table, yeah. Technically it should be named "speed" (that's its internal name), but naming it was a dilemma since you generally think that higher speed is better... (same as the propulsion issue).

1) I did that on purpose since you can't see who is firing. I could have given partial info, but decided not to do that yet.
But can we at least see whether it hit or missed and which part it hit? :(
Not now you can't! ;)

Just kidding, I'll add it for fix4.

EDIT: Oh, and could you add an option to edit the order of weapon firing without manually taking them off and reputting on in a different order?
I'll see about adding a command to reassign part letters.

EDIT2:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Are you absolutely sure this isn't a bug?
I totally didn't get that when I first looked at it. *Now* I know what you were referring to. Oops. That's because in fix3 I finally added the red color to faulty prototypes, but forgot that you may not have identified that prototype yet. Made that change too quick... Damnit, that sucks! I'll remove it in fix4.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:59:42 pm by Kyzrati »
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2012, 08:33:55 pm »

Hm. First run, made it to Factory/5 or 6. Is that good?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2012, 03:23:20 am »

By the way,  could you please make it so that after moving onto a tile, regardless of where the mouse is placed, scan displays the item immediatly underneath you, to prevent confusion?

I think auto-waiting might be a bad thing if you didn't know you were low on energy and suddenly find out. If you haven't realized you're out of energy, you may want to think a bit before charging up, since you may want to use the energy on something else depending on the circumstances.
That's why it's a separate mode that can be manually activated by the player (and notify him through somewhere in the status window).

When can we expect fix4?

EDIT: Oh, and it would be nice if 'insufficient energy' upon firing was displayed before targeting.

EDIT2: FUCK. I overheated without noticing it. Again. Could you please add some noticeable special effects (like screen corners gaining a yellow tint) to display overheating and, possibly, other negative afflictions like being overweight (for example, by showing light blue 'cracks' around the edges)?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:35:59 am by Dariush »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2012, 03:25:18 am »

Wat.

Trying this out, once I figure out how to download the game.

...Oh, silly me at 4 in the morning.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2012, 04:10:35 am »

Very good.  You should submit your score.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2012, 05:28:39 am »

Giving this a try now. Hopefully won't get trashed too early. :)
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2012, 06:47:17 am »

The Factory is so unfair.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2012, 06:57:28 am »

o_O

And I thought being jumped by soldiers on level 2 was bad, Jeeze.

Wondering how to evolve though, I've had 0 of those or prototypes so far...

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2012, 08:03:34 am »

How do you guys get all those hit percentage chances and whatnot in the box when you fire your weapons? Is it some kind of option or...?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2012, 09:47:14 am »

Very good.  You should submit your score.
Definitely very good for a first run (unless you can't do it again, in which case it was luck ;)). And yes, you should submit your score. Anyone should if they have at least 1000 points. It'll be more fun if the ranking changes a bit over the next couple weeks rather than everyone practicing in secret and then suddenly I receive a deluge of record sheets right before the deadline... So far I've only go two people on the high scores list, though I know more of you are participating.

The Factory is so unfair.
Dude, I've never had that happen. Running from everything can get you into a lot of trouble if you don't have the right equipment (a good ECM works wonders). I prefer to either avoid all enemies in the first place (sensors) or pick off everything I can one by one until/unless there's no other choice but flee.

How do you guys get all those hit percentage chances and whatnot in the box when you fire your weapons? Is it some kind of option or...?
New feature in fix3: press 'q' a few times.

By the way,  could you please make it so that after moving onto a tile, regardless of where the mouse is placed, scan displays the item immediatly underneath you, to prevent confusion?
Actually, it does that automatically if the cursor is hidden (precisely to prevent confusion), but the way it's coded I can't easily have it do that if you're using the mouse--the mouse pointer location always has priority. You have to play without the cursor (F2) to get that functionality. Playing purely with the keyboard is almost always much faster anyway.

That's why it's a separate mode that can be manually activated by the player (and notify him through somewhere in the status window).
I'll look into it.

When can we expect fix4?
It's already done, I just haven't released it yet since I was busy with something else this afternoon and still have to finish updating the new manual. I'll probably upload it in a short while.

EDIT: Oh, and it would be nice if 'insufficient energy' upon firing was displayed before targeting.
I'll look into it.

EDIT2: FUCK. I overheated without noticing it. Again. Could you please add some noticeable special effects (like screen corners gaining a yellow tint) to display overheating and, possibly, other negative afflictions like being overweight (for example, by showing light blue 'cracks' around the edges)?
You're so full of good ideas... Actually, UI effects for that and more were in the design docs, but I couldn't do them in time because the best way to implement them would require a rather central addition to my RL engine. Support for that feature is inevitable because I'll need it for X@COM, but I haven't gotten around to it (though it's already been planned out). Perhaps in a future version.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2012, 09:50:07 am »

Also, I stumbled onto the cut features on the site. Are you going to put them into the game sooner or later? :(

EDIT: BTW, could we get a manual entry about every class and their typical characteristics like type of propulsion and size?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:08:44 am by Dariush »

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2012, 10:33:48 am »

Fix 4 is out: files page link.

* FIX: Faulty prototypes no longer shown in red (if you've identified them, the "Faulty" modifier is sufficient)
* MOD: Status window indicates how overweight you are
* MOD: Changed hit/miss message colors in log
* MOD: Mining Laser can now cut through walls and earth
* NEW: Added Advanced Player's Guide (manual2.txt)
* NEW: Reassign part keys (see manual2.txt for unlisted commands)
* NEW: "Full detail" setting for log combat verbosity
* NEW: Optional advanced stats mode

Dariush, added even more juicy details for you in the combat log, but if you want to know the exact chance to hit each part on a target, you'll have to attach a robot scan processor.

Also, I stumbled onto the cut features on the site. Are you going to put them into the game sooner or later? :(
Much later, if ever. I need to get back to working on X@COM soon. I'm already spending more time on Cogmind than I anticipated, and half the reason is you keep asking for stuff ;)

Watch your back for angry and impatient X@COM fans! :o

EDIT: BTW, could we get a manual entry about every class and their typical characteristics like type of propulsion and size?
I was going to put that in there eventually; it's not in the current version, though. You can get some of that detailed information by attaching a robot scan processor.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2012, 10:37:42 am »

Dariush, added even more juicy details for you in the combat log, but if you want to know the exact chance to hit each part on a target, you'll have to attach a robot scan processor.
Okaaaaaay. :( How about the chance to hit each part on the player?

Much later, if ever. I need to get back to working on X@COM soon. I'm already spending more time on Cogmind than I anticipated, and half the reason is you keep asking for stuff ;)

Watch your back for angry and impatient X@COM fans! :o
:'(
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24