Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 109065 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 10:25:11 am »

Posting to follow, and to remind me to play this soon. Sounds cool.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 10:35:30 am »

Nice game. got to level 5 before I was overwhelmed, mostly by pests. Managed to run away a few times after losing a lot of parts, by dumping the rest and just high tailing it out of there with only my core. Snuck around like that for a while, occasionally picking up a weapon and taking pot shots at things from the stationary location before dropping it again and running around a bit more. Eventually got surrounded though and taken out.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 10:53:30 am »

New bugfix version released. It only fixes one bug, but it's a pretty serious one. Download from the files page.

Specifics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note: Both fix1 and fix2 scores are equally valid for tournament purposes, but I highly recommend switching to the newer version to avoid potential crashes.

Posting to follow, and to remind me to play this soon. Sounds cool.
Hi mendonca, was wondering when you'd show up ;)
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 02:34:42 pm »

Just played it. Love it.

The weapon variety provides tons of fun :  destroying the environment, splashing EMPs, firing at long range, ...

About that, I think you a little bit more infos about weapons we pick up should be a nice idea.
Also, seeing a little more what are the weapons' effects on the ennemis (overheating, corrupting, directly on-screen, with flashing effects, maybe ? ) may be nice.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 05:06:56 pm »

I'd like more information (optionally?) on which of my weapons are hitting enemies and how much they're being damaged.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2012, 06:00:38 pm »

I encountered abug.  I had just downloaded the new version, and opened the game, and moved the window as the starting screen was drawing itself.  My computer immediately locked up, repeating the sound it was playing at the time, and after a few seconds the screen went black.  I rebooted, and tried to reproduce it, but the effect was not repeated.  However, the screen did pause drawing while moving until I released the mouse, and afterwards the game's screen had some graphical errors on the lines that were drawing at the time.  Later ones were unaffected.  A screenshot is here:
http://tnypic.net/b61b1.png

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2012, 07:41:24 pm »

-snip-

"CRAPYARD
NONE
ESCAPE"

wat.
I love that kind of graphical bugs.

what did the bots build after that?
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2012, 07:55:10 pm »

I do not know, I tried to get it a few more times after getting the screenshot.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2012, 09:00:00 pm »

Haha, crapyard... Yeah, the graphical errors caused by moving the application window while it's loading is due to how the engine was designed. You shouldn't move the window while it's animating. I partially fixed the issue by pausing the animation when the window is being dragged so that it picks up close to where it left off, but the ASCII animator does not have a very fine time resolution, so it'll always skip some spaces. Kind of an annoying coding issue; any perfect solution would be a lot more complicated.

Surprising that the window went entirely black, though the infinite sound loop is a side-effect of the animation not finishing--normally if you just press F10 (suicide/restart) it'll reload the windows and all, and the sound will end normally.

Thanks for the report.

Score progress update: So far I've received 2 high score files. Both have been added to the list. There you can also look at a player's record sheet to see more specific stats.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2012, 09:09:38 pm »

Just ended my best game yet.

Got to level 7, and was doing great, but ran into several Behemoths backed by Hunters, who just started ripping me into pieces, since I'd gone through all 2 or 3 armor modules the level before and hadn't managed to find any new ones.

According to the game, my 'peak state' was:

Which I more or less agree with, although this is after I'd lost my armor, so not too long before I started bleeding modules.

I think, by far, the most useful upgrade slots are Utility, followed by Power, Propulsion, and only then Weapons. Utility items, especially storage units and armor plating, are just so damn useful that you really can't progress without them. Weapons, on the other hand, just keep getting more powerful, and if you can pick up a targeting unit (another utility slot) you'll be killing things more than fast enough.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:12:06 pm by AlStar »

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »

Yeah, armor is super useful. On one of my best runs I had 4 armor for quite a while (and 3 in inventory). When you need some, consider fighting some Sentry-class robots (rather than avoiding them) since they use armor you might be able to salvage.

And as you say, just a couple weapons combined with targeting computers (which you can take from Hunters) is actually pretty deadly. Still, later in the game it can help to be able to fire a huge volley of weapons for taking out stubbornly powerful enemies (read: Behemoths), especially if those weapons are all electromagnetic... Statistically speaking, it would be hard to quickly take down a behemoth with only a few weapons, no matter how good your aim is.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2012, 11:31:57 pm »

Bwahaha. This game is so fun. I'm only on level 2 or so, but I started getting torn to pieces by those goddamned Pests despite my utmost efforts to flee. Then I got cornered in a room with 3 EM Pulses.

I used up all three, each of them getting destroyed by the onslaught of Pests. Then I pulled out my EM Blaster and started obliterating everything.

Ended up dying later on.

Also often called Boowells.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2012, 08:48:03 am »

Victory! No one can beat that score!  8)

On a more serious note...look at Value destroyed. Bug? Or are walls made of diamond in the future? You decide!
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2012, 09:06:34 am »

My experience with MYSTERIOUS MESSAGE CRASHES is that it seems to happen when you get hit by your own blast. Particularly, I think it happens when your cannon is destroyed by its own blast.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2012, 11:12:08 am »

Gah, I got myself an uber-equipment consisting of several EMP blasters, missile and grenade launchers, was pwning everything in sight and then ran out of matter in the middle of an open space. :(

BTW, I found a bug: if I make the game fullscreen and use Tab to scroll through targets, they are incorrectly offset.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:15:33 am by Dariush »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 24