Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 109027 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2012, 11:31:20 am »

I had a fun romp with release fix 1. Might play more in the future.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 11:33:21 am »

AI law #0: KILL ENGINEERS ON SIGHT
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Really, what can I do now (no explosive weapons)? :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:35:00 am by Dariush »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2012, 11:44:38 am »

Wait around and hope the game spawns some hunters on you? They've got explosive weapons, and the sensors to try and peg you through walls.

Otherwise, I'd go with F10.

Edit: And this is why we don't try to move around with 18% speed. Ouch - did you just get your legs shot off before that happened?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:47:16 am by AlStar »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2012, 01:16:49 pm »

BTW, I can confirm the crash resulting from self-destructing cannons. And in my first Factory run too. :(

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2012, 01:55:53 pm »

Neat little game.  I like the "highly evolutionary" concept, as I'm going along getting parts blasted off and slapping on what I can find to keep going.  Had a nice run of powerful prototype energy weapons, but I kept getting my legs/wheels blown off and switching types around.

Am I missing something with the flight units?  The speed's nice, but carrying practically anything is a pain.

How would a stealth build work?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2012, 02:15:52 pm »

Posting to watch, cause ive got about 10 other games im playing at the moment.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2012, 03:15:32 pm »

Am I missing something with the flight units?  The speed's nice, but carrying practically anything is a pain.

I agree on both accounts. I assume flight units are generally used for stealth/pacifist builds because decent weapons are around 2-4 weight each. I haven't seen a cloaking device yet either, but I found an ECM suite, which made some enemies a bit fiddly with spotting me, depending on how far away they are.

In any case, I don't think a stealth build would work all that well by virtue of the corridors in the game.

EDIT: Okay, Hover Units are really fast. Like, really really fast. I'm carrying only a light ion engine, but I'm moving at 222% speed when not overweight. Picked up two light assault rifles at the start. Let's see how well this goes. My mass is maxed out at light ion engine, terrain scanner, 2 hover units, and 2 light assault rifles, though.

What. I start a lightweight build and the moment I get out of the scrapyard, I find a huge storage unit. Argh, but Jesus, I'm fast. I'm evading bolts left and right.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:26:29 pm by Knirisk »
Also often called Boowells.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2012, 03:29:06 pm »

First time I made it to the factory...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I spent most of the time using flight units and ballistic weapons. Granted, they (as in propulsion and weapons) were either Prototypes or Imp/Adv modules, and I did switch to legs for an odd bit of tanking when keeping my distance and sniping didnt work. Do targeting modules stack? I spent some time with 2 of them equipped and didnt see an immediate improvement. This run was seriously helped by finding a stack of 5 huge storage units, so gear was never a problem until my demise...

Didnt let the bastards take me out after they surrounded me, and blasting my way out with a prototype rocket battery didnt work.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 03:31:02 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2012, 05:31:45 pm »

I've found the key to using flight or hover propulsion is lots of propulsion evolution.  Even at their low individual carry weights, you can pack a lot on after a few evolutions.

I also avoid fitting the huge inventory storage for just such reasons as show by the 18% move speed.   :P

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2012, 07:23:10 pm »

Just finished my first run of this game, barely made it to the factory and was decimated before making it, but I got just far enough to try out some fancy weapons. The game's very enjoyable and I'll probably be playing it for a bit.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 07:50:02 pm »

I agree on both accounts. I assume flight units are generally used for stealth/pacifist builds because decent weapons are around 2-4 weight each. I haven't seen a cloaking device yet either, but I found an ECM suite, which made some enemies a bit fiddly with spotting me, depending on how far away they are.

In any case, I don't think a stealth build would work all that well by virtue of the corridors in the game.

EDIT: Okay, Hover Units are really fast. Like, really really fast. I'm carrying only a light ion engine, but I'm moving at 222% speed when not overweight. Picked up two light assault rifles at the start. Let's see how well this goes. My mass is maxed out at light ion engine, terrain scanner, 2 hover units, and 2 light assault rifles, though.

What. I start a lightweight build and the moment I get out of the scrapyard, I find a huge storage unit. Argh, but Jesus, I'm fast. I'm evading bolts left and right.

Pick up a mini grenade launcher if you can.  It's a launcher weapon with a weight of one.  It may be a prototype launcher.  Remember that items in inventory don't count towards weight.  Carry a backup light ion engine, those hovers take a lot of juice to run.  Good luck, show us what hover can do!

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2012, 08:58:15 pm »

First of all, great to hear you guys having so much fun with this game!

Victory! No one can beat that score!  8)

On a more serious note...look at Value destroyed. Bug? Or are walls made of diamond in the future? You decide!
Oops, I'm pretty sure I know where that came from. I'll find and correct it in the next fix.

BTW, I can confirm the crash resulting from self-destructing cannons. And in my first Factory run too. :(
Sorry about that, I thought I'd tested that situation already. Sure seems like there's potential for a bug there. I'll fix it in the next release, too. Probably later today. Thanks for the reports and confirmation guys!

Wait around and hope the game spawns some hunters on you? They've got explosive weapons, and the sensors to try and peg you through walls.
Yeah, those little bastards are fast at rebuilding. Hunters don't start to gradually appear until level 3, so there's pretty much no way out of that situation before then unless you can shoot your own way out. It's true that on later levels you could theoretically wait for a Hunter to track you down, but by then you might have a crapload of Programmers waiting around the area.

BTW, I found a bug: if I make the game fullscreen and use Tab to scroll through targets, they are incorrectly offset.
Thanks for the report. I didn't have a chance to actually test fullscreen mode at all yet. I'll fix it for the next release.

About the whole fast/stealth build concept, it is 1) probably more viable in the mid- to late-game, and 2) best done with specialized equipment.

In the early game, hover is probably more effective than flight because there isn't much you can do to help offset the weight of the weapons and equipment you need to carry. But really there aren't a lot of reliable sources of hover units until you hit level 4 (Programmers--before that it's just Watchers).

If you manage to find prototype flight units, you will be in heaven--they are both faster and carry twice as much weight as normal flight units. 222% speed from a couple hover units is nothing--with several advanced flight units you can hit 400% and beyond! By then you can move 8-12 spaces every time the enemy fires at you, and will be hard as hell to hit.

Other parts that help with flight:
-Light-type engines (store little energy, but don't weigh as much)
-Early on you can harvest weight redistributors from Haulers
-Get a Gravity Neutralizing Apparatus around level 5--later on find a Quantum Shading Machine or Dimensional Manipulator and you are set for life (no one's gotten that far yet, though)

Stealth-wise, you need good sensor arrays and signal interpreters (steal from Watchers) to avoid dangerous robots, followed by ECM (have to get lucky for these) for fleeing, then terrain scanners and processors if you have the space. Later on adding Cloaking Devices (higher-level Hunters carry them) will help.

Do targeting modules stack? I spent some time with 2 of them equipped and didnt see an immediate improvement.
Yep, they *do* stack. You can even get >100% hit chance if you have enough of them. If you were using the basic version, they only add 4% each, so the effects are not as immediately noticeable, especially with all the factors that go into hit calculations (which cause them to fluctuate a little each turn, making small bonuses harder to spot). The prototype targeting computer is ridiculously awesome, if you can find one that isn't broken (level 5+).
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2012, 04:43:39 am »

I don't understand the '* +3%/cell if range > 6' line in the manual. Larger range is supposed to decrease accuracy, isn't it?... Also, it would be nice to have a detailed hitting and missing log. And could you please make fullscreen increase the usable space instead of just putting a black border around the field?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:45:32 am by Dariush »

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 05:50:13 am »

I don't understand the '* +3%/cell if range > 6' line in the manual. Larger range is supposed to decrease accuracy, isn't it?...
Um... yeah... I wrote the manual too quickly :-[ Don't worry, the game code is correct. Manual updated for next version.

Also, it would be nice to have a detailed hitting and missing log.
Hm, does everyone really want that much extra text filling the message log? Perhaps not all hits/misses, but instead just a summary of your own volleys? Enemy hits on you are apparent because your parts lose integrity. So maybe you fire and it says something like: "Volley (3): 2 misses, 1 hit"

And could you please make fullscreen increase the usable space instead of just putting a black border around the field?
I wish I could, but keep in mind that the game was made in only a week, so I made a huge number of assumptions in order to cut down coding time to leave time for making the game more fun. One of those assumptions was that the window size wouldn't change. I could go back through and fix that, but it wouldn't be part of a quick fix.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 06:54:04 am »

Hm, does everyone really want that much extra text filling the message log? Perhaps not all hits/misses, but instead just a summary of your own volleys? Enemy hits on you are apparent because your parts lose integrity. So maybe you fire and it says something like: "Volley (3): 2 misses, 1 hit"
Er, integrity changes aren't all that evident unless you're specifically watching the equipped parts, so yeah. Besides, it would be nice to know when your shots are simply hitting some unimportant part and when they're actually missing. So I'd prefer as much details as possible. :) Maybe you should make a poll about it?
I wish I could, but keep in mind that the game was made in only a week, so I made a huge number of assumptions in order to cut down coding time to leave time for making the game more fun. One of those assumptions was that the window size wouldn't change. I could go back through and fix that, but it wouldn't be part of a quick fix.
Well, then remove the fullscreen entirely. In it's current state it's completely useless.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24