Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 109026 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #225 on: April 04, 2012, 05:00:28 pm »

Well this seemed fun and so in what has become tradition for me I recorded myself playing it though as I mention in the video my computer is not really setup to let me easily see the game that well. What I recorded is actually my second game as my first which was much better happened at school and thus went away cause of deepfreeze.

Anyway my video is here
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 05, 2012, 05:15:54 am »

I think I'll aim to escape Command instead of aiming for the high score then. =P

first to discover and escape would make for cool bragging rights Aoi :)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2012, 10:04:02 am »

>What are you referring to by "# details"

i didnt like the sorting because it would make its own 'work' because of the inevitable scrolling. but if the inventory was always sorted and *you* would have the engine scroll the inventory for us when in a detail screen (Shift-Letter or # (#details)) then if would just 'work' and be obvious without pressing keys twice.
Now I get it. By "# details" you meant the inventory item data. That's a good idea. I'll add repeat-key support to the engine and do this. Sorting would still be useful for other purposes, though.

For the next fix I was going to add forward/reverse sorting by type/integrity/mass possible. I can add an inventory beginning/end seek command as well. Advanced stats mode (which will be renamed to "tactical HUD") also shows the item type symbol next to each. Fix9 is mostly complete, except for the sorting.

I think I'll aim to escape Command instead of aiming for the high score then. =P
first to discover and escape would make for cool bragging rights Aoi :)
Definitely would be an impressive feat. In terms of points, Micha's latest run is dominating the chart right now. For any Cogminds aspiring to make the complete surface run, I will tell you now that 10/Command is the last level. If you can find the exit (and there is only one ;) ), you'll be free!

Anyway my video is here
Oooh, a video. I'll check this one out soon.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 06, 2012, 02:37:13 am »

Record:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strategy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:39:35 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 06, 2012, 02:39:25 am »

Doesn't run for me in linux, for some reason. Can't be the dlls- I already have those.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 06, 2012, 03:11:57 am »

All hail Aoi, the number one Cogmind and first winner!

Looks like my second place on the high scores was short lived! :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 06, 2012, 03:35:46 am »

Hey now; micha's still well in the running [20k on L7?!] and I haven't emailed my record in yet. Who knows, my system might kerplode itself by the time I actually send it in. =P

(And thank you for that note, micha... I was putting off submissions until I went as high as I can go. I think I'm going to stop here though, so you have a solid bar to aim for!)

Edit: Oh hey! Just saw you submitted a new high score, micha! ...And that is painfully high; we've got a difference of only 323 between us!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:57:19 am by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 06, 2012, 04:48:00 am »

I'm pretty sure I've missed something obvious, but can anyone tell me if there's a way to turn off the mouse support? I'd rather know what my 'bot is sitting on than know what's four tiles away.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 06, 2012, 04:55:44 am »

Check F1 next time.

F2 turns off the mouse.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #235 on: April 06, 2012, 06:36:59 am »

Definitely very sweet. You can share your strategy after the competition, then I can fix whatever exploit you found, if there is one ;)

Just kidding. Unless it's something stupid I overlooked, there's a fine line between exploit and good strategy! (By design there are ways to make a sprint through the last level a bit easier, for the non-tank types out there.)

Great job Aoi--looks like you barely made it out alive at the end there!

Doesn't run for me in linux, for some reason. Can't be the dlls- I already have those.
Hm, I actually don't have any confirmation of Cogmind running on linux yet, and haven't tried it myself. I know earlier versions of X@COM worked, but that was before I modified the engine to include sound and archive file access, which may have affected something. Anyone else out there gotten Cogmind working on linux?

Under windows, make sure you've met all the requirements, like running as administrator to give Cogmind write access, and avoid running the game from a path that contains non-English chars.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #236 on: April 06, 2012, 07:09:49 am »

Alright Cogminds, Fix9 is here, ready for your final run for a new high score.

Lots of useful UI improvements (amazing how there never seems to be an end to these...):
* FIX: vi-keys work in examine/fire mode
* FIX: 'x'/'s'/'d' can be used to exit/close their respective modes/windows
* FIX: Help screen can also be exited with ESC
* FIX: Matter no longer dropped on top of other items
* MOD: Auto-targeting preference cycling switched to 'w'
* MOD: Quit w/out save switched to Alt-F4
* NEW: Tactical HUD mode, includes inventory capacity and mass allowance right on the HUD, along with core exposure and net energy use
* NEW: Alerts for low resources
* NEW: Inventory sorting by type/mass/integrity (t/m/i)
* NEW: Ctrl mod for inventory scrolling skips to beginning/end (Ctrl-[/] or Ctrl-Wheel)
* NEW: Mouse warping can be toggled off
* NEW: Added more information to Advanced Player's Guide

Still no score-breaking changes (so switching to the new version is not mandatory, though recommended, as always). It's mostly just stuff aimed at making play more fluid and accessible (though for the forgetful player, extra resource alerts should somewhat improve survivability).

Among the UI mods postponed to a later release there's optional auto-sorting for the inventory while viewing item info, the "undo swap" command, and a more obvious temperature indicator.

I didn't get around to finding/fixing any of the remaining crashes, but at least fix9 shouldn't have introduced any new problems because it is mostly easy mods which have already been tested.

Good luck for the last 3 days, everyone!

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2012, 11:09:14 am »

Sorry for the back-to-back releases, but I just realized I forgot to change the text on the results screen which tells you the hotkey for quitting, which might confuse some people, so I fixed that, and added a new feature to make fix10 more meaningful:

* FIX: Forgot to change quit key message on results screen (F4->Alt-F4)
* NEW: Inventory autosorting (F6)

Get Fix10

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2012, 11:27:58 am »

I'm pretty sure the win screen didn't show the restart/quit text either. Though if you scored a win, you've probably figured that out by now.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2012, 11:31:15 am »

The end game screen works normally. The only thing wrong was the fact that any results screen in fix9 still showed "F4 to Quit", when I had already changed it to Alt-F4 to keep people from pressing it accidentally (since there are more and more F-commands with all these new options). I just didn't want people to be confused since F4 no longer quits the game.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24