Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 109032 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2012, 06:34:50 pm »

Kyzrati, I noticed that turning off sound is F11, next to suicide (F10).

May I suggest moving it away from F10, or adding a warning to committing suicide? Because one mistake on pressing the buttons and you're dead instantly, with no way to undo it.
Yeah, I've been adding so many options in all these fixes, and there used to be nothing over by F10, but now all the F-keys are getting full (there are even more used for the upcoming fix11, which has some new options). I'll probably switch F10 to Alt-F10 since you don't need it very often. That should keep people from accidentally killing themselves just to turn off the sound ;)

Submitted my High Score, currently 10th. Hopefully I'll get an achievement :D
badger_pl just pushed you out of the top 10, but you might still get an achievement, we'll see. I decided on about 15 meaningful/interesting achievements which won't necessarily go to top score earners, but will be waiting on the official end of the competition to see who actually earns each one (only one player per achievement).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 06:40:59 pm by Kyzrati »
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2012, 08:06:31 pm »

Quick question: What exact time do you consider to be the end of today? Because I'm going for one more run.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2012, 08:15:34 pm »

Quick question: What exact time do you consider to be the end of today? Because I'm going for one more run.
Well, for me in Asia April 8th is long over, but for contest purposes it's only fair that I consider April 8th anywhere in the world, so everyone's still got some time. Go for it ;)
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2012, 08:32:33 pm »

A small thing I noticed: Rating is supposed to be how good something is, right? Because the Deuterium engine has a rating of 3, while the Heavy Ion Engine has a rating of 2. And the Heavy Ion Engine is better in pretty much every way but the restart wait. So the ratings there seem to be messed up, unless Prototypes have a special rating system of some sort, or the restart wait is significantly important.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:34:46 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2012, 08:41:03 pm »

Yeah, if you look closely you'll find that many prototypes are more comparable only to other prototypes--they essentially work on a different scale, though this isn't mentioned anywhere. Prototypes are generally equivalent to or slightly better than a common item that is one rating level higher (or even far better for some of the rarer awesome prototypes you can find in the late game ;D ).

Rating is not calculated anywhere, it's just a manually set number which is the same thing as level, primarily intended for internal random selection purposes, but I figured it's still useful to show it to the player as a quick way to compare items. Just remember to give prototypes a +1 or so when comparing. I'd do it automatically, but I'm not sure if that would be very accurate in all cases.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 08, 2012, 08:46:18 pm »

I think the prototype designation that's already right there is sufficient.  The fact that you had to "ID" it and it was potentially "cursed" makes it an "enchanted" item, to put it in more familiar RL terms.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2012, 08:50:17 pm »

Research/Command, and my strategy!:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 08, 2012, 08:53:01 pm »

Prototypes are generally equivalent to or slightly better than a common item that is one rating level higher (or even far better for some of the rarer awesome prototypes you can find in the late game ;D ).

*shakes fist* In all my games, I've found ONE prototype 'special weapon', on Research/8... and I destroyed it since I was attacking with cannons at the time.

I STILL wonder what on earth makes it 'special'.  :'(
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 08, 2012, 08:54:03 pm »

I think the prototype designation that's already right there is sufficient.  The fact that you had to "ID" it and it was potentially "cursed" makes it an "enchanted" item, to put it in more familiar RL terms.
Not really. One ID reveals them all, faulty and functional, for the rest of the game. And often the bad effects aren't serious as far as I'm concerned. And even when IDing, the chance of you getting a faulty one is not that high.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 08, 2012, 09:00:12 pm »

Not really. One ID reveals them all, faulty and functional, for the rest of the game. And often the bad effects aren't serious as far as I'm concerned. And even when IDing, the chance of you getting a faulty one is not that high.

In addition, you'll only know the rating after you test it.

Until you end up with system corruption, and you find yourself IDing the same stuff over and over...

Faulty equipment can be quite terrible-- having important equipment damaged at a time when it's difficult to replace can be downright fatal regardless of how unlikely faulty prototypes are. (Which I'd have to say is dangerously common.) I became so reliant on a few vital pieces of equipment that I decided to just waste the time/matter to remove them and put them on again after every prototype.

Personally, I ignored the ratings for the entire game, instead looking at the actual values. Some pieces are particularly valuable, even far closer to the surface like Cold Fusion Reactors. (No heat, and will never shut down to heat, as I recall.) Their output is pretty low (especially their capacity) but it means you can get off an extra shot or two or run away without running out of power.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:06:05 pm by Aoi »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 08, 2012, 09:06:37 pm »

In my personal experience, I have never seriously been screwed over by prototypes. And I try prototypes immediately whenever I'm safe. Really.

Anyway, besides that, just because the faulty versions of an item suck, doesn't mean that the fully functional version is also worse. Think about it. If there was a tank better than the M1, but 2/5 are faulty, is the entire tank class worse than the M1 even though the functional ones are clearly better?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2012, 09:23:39 pm »

Research/Command, and my strategy!:

Prototypes are generally equivalent to or slightly better than a common item that is one rating level higher (or even far better for some of the rarer awesome prototypes you can find in the late game ;D ).

*shakes fist* In all my games, I've found ONE prototype 'special weapon', on Research/8... and I destroyed it since I was attacking with cannons at the time.

I STILL wonder what on earth makes it 'special'.  :'(
If it makes you feel better, there are no prototype special weapons. Your system corruption made you forget about a normal welding torch or plasma cutter ;D The only "special weapons" I added were those that aren't really weapons at all, but can be used as weapons, hence the "special" designation. I could've called them "Tools" or something, but I wanted to make it obvious they are equippable in your weapon slots.

The very powerful prototypes I was referring to in the late game are weapons like the Null Cannon, Omega Cannon, and Point Singularity Launcher, all of which can completely obliterate enemies (especially the last one, which can take out an entire army in no time if you've got the matter supply--with the right armament you could turn "The Death Room" into your playground ;) ). There are some very nice experimental utilities as well.

In my personal experience, I have never seriously been screwed over by prototypes. And I try prototypes immediately whenever I'm safe. Really.

Anyway, besides that, just because the faulty versions of an item suck, doesn't mean that the fully functional version is also worse. Think about it. If there was a tank better than the M1, but 2/5 are faulty, is the entire tank class worse than the M1 even though the functional ones are clearly better?
I think Aoi is just referring to the fact that a faulty item which malfunctions on you can damage (or in some cases even destroy) some other attached part, which does really suck if it's a rare part that's vital to your build. That can affect you even outside combat.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:51:01 pm by Kyzrati »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2012, 09:29:05 pm »

If it makes you feel better, there are no prototype special weapons. Your system corruption made you forget about a normal welding torch or plasma cutter ;D
Oh that is just evil. :D

I think Aoi is just referring to the fact that a faulty item which malfunctions on you can damage (or in some cases even destroy) some other attached part, which does really suck if it's a rare part that's vital to your build. That can affect you even outside combat.
I know.

I still don't remember any traumatizing moments where a faulty part messed me up so bad that I'd be more catious.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:31:19 pm by Tarran »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2012, 09:38:24 pm »

If it makes you feel better, there are no prototype special weapons.

Aww. I thought there might've been some exceptionally rare weapons that have unique effects, like firing through walls [only really useful if you have sensors...] or firing a transponder at another robot, making them think it's you for a short time or just a guaranteed one-use instant kill [BSOD floppy? =P]

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2012, 09:41:23 pm »

I still don't remember any traumatizing moments where a faulty part messed me up so bad that I'd be more catious.
True, I usually don't worry about it myself, either, though I try to only test prototypes outside combat just in case. Aoi is just uber-cautious... That's why he's the first to successfully escape 8)

If it makes you feel better, there are no prototype special weapons.
Aww. I thought there might've been some exceptionally rare weapons that have unique effects, like firing through walls [only really useful if you have sensors...] or firing a transponder at another robot, making them think it's you for a short time or just a guaranteed one-use instant kill [BSOD floppy? =P]
Cool ideas for the design notes ;) (I was going to add floppies with one-use programs to the game, but dropped that as well.)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24