Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 109064 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #270 on: April 08, 2012, 09:57:20 pm »

True, I usually don't worry about it myself, either, though I try to only test prototypes outside combat just in case. Aoi is just uber-cautious... That's why he's the first to successfully escape 8)

I like how I'm considered uber-cautious right after I said 'Kind of went in on a prayer...' =P
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #271 on: April 08, 2012, 10:21:54 pm »

Perhaps I should correct my comment to read "relatively uber-cautious", if there is such a thing =P
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 09, 2012, 12:48:44 am »

Well, my final run is done. And crap, I didn't move up any. :P Oh well, at least I have more score and I got further through to Research.

And of course, my death is similar to my first time in Research: out of stuff, and surrounded by everyone. Seems to be a reoccurring theme.

I tried so hard to find the stairs, but it was like the RNG put the stairs all the way on the other side of the level because I just could not find it.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:52:44 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #273 on: April 09, 2012, 01:45:03 am »

Well, my final run is done. And crap, I didn't move up any. :P Oh well, at least I have more score and I got further through to Research.

And of course, my death is similar to my first time in Research: out of stuff, and surrounded by everyone. Seems to be a reoccurring theme.
Definitely a good game! Tough to jump from 3rd to 2nd the scores being what they are. Aoi and Micha were pretty persistent ;)

I'm kinda busy right now, but your score will be up later.

I tried so hard to find the stairs, but it was like the RNG put the stairs all the way on the other side of the level because I just could not find it.
Heh, it may surprise you to know the RNG is not responsible for the stairs; if that makes you feel better ;) (Actually, I guess that that means I'm responsible for your inability to find the stairs :o) I'm not giving out any details, though.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 09, 2012, 07:55:25 am »

I have gotten the impression that there's a pattern to level layout and stair placement, but not solid enough to know which direction to head as soon as I step on the level.  The Materials stairs are usually at the end of a 3-tile wide hallway, often around a short bend, for example.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 09, 2012, 12:42:25 pm »

The Materials stairs are usually at the end of a 3-tile wide hallway, often around a short bend, for example.
Yes, that seems to be the case on all the levels from Materials to Research.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 09, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:05:51 pm by eerr »

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #277 on: April 10, 2012, 12:14:53 am »

Tournament results are in; check them out here.

Fix11 already has a fair number of improvements ready, but I still want to add some larger fonts before release (so you can play at higher resolutions).

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 10, 2012, 12:58:07 am »

Neat stuff - didn't think I'd end up with any achievements after I got kicked down to 6th place, scorewise.

Let's hear it for quick violence!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 10, 2012, 01:35:47 am »

I really like your little icons used for the achievements. =P
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #280 on: April 10, 2012, 09:31:47 am »

Neat stuff - didn't think I'd end up with any achievements after I got kicked down to 6th place, scorewise.

Let's hear it for quick violence!
The achievements chosen reflect play style more than ability, and you pretty much blew everyone away in the death-dealing category (only a.f. was close behind you, and you guys were a good 30% ahead of the pack). You must've been destroying everything you saw :)

I really like your little icons used for the achievements. =P

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #281 on: April 11, 2012, 01:44:20 am »

There's an important new blog post about fix11.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:50 am »

Just because I don't see it mentioned in the blog post, are you still planning on giving Cogmind either the ability to sac some hitpoints or an intrinsic minor recycling ability so that running out of matter (ie, not being able to attach a part) isn't as much of a problem?

I definately think one or the other should be added, just because running out of matter (especially if you're out of weapons or only have matter-based weapons equipped) can be so crippling.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 11, 2012, 09:03:10 am »

Wow, thanks for all the achievements.  Wish I could say it reflected skill or something, but that second run of the game is still my best by far. 

I thought it was an interesting run, so I was sort of reluctant to replace it.  Fortunately, none of my later runs exceeded it success-wise.  Glad I still ended up in the top 10, even if barely.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #284 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:25 am »

Glad I still ended up in the top 10, even if barely.
You would've actually been pushed off tenth for the tournament if Heart-of-Darkness hadn't sent in his better score one day late, so lucky you ;)

Quote from: EuchreJack
Cogmind Notable Achievements: Researcher, Power Monger, Escapist, Skirmisher, Scavenger
What can I say? I'm a curious coward.
And I love your new signature, btw :D

Just because I don't see it mentioned in the blog post, are you still planning on giving Cogmind either the ability to sac some hitpoints or an intrinsic minor recycling ability so that running out of matter (ie, not being able to attach a part) isn't as much of a problem?

I definately think one or the other should be added, just because running out of matter (especially if you're out of weapons or only have matter-based weapons equipped) can be so crippling.
Yeah, I considered writing that into the post, but I decided to instead wait to see if anyone would bring it up again. It's on my list of probable changes. I like the idea of cannibalization, but I think I'm going to give the recycle ability to keep it simple. It normally takes 10 to attach, so I was thinking of giving 5 back for default recycling? Not sure about giving a full 10, which could make it too easy to keep running around picking up parts for a long time, especially if you have an inventory full of parts which would act as a semi-infinite partial shield. What do you guys think?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24