Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armored Core 5  (Read 3708 times)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armored Core 5
« on: March 18, 2012, 06:28:38 pm »

Armored Core 5 is being released this Tuesday (3/20/2012) and I figured I should probably make a thread to drum up a bit of interest. Wikipedia sums it up better than I could:
Developers claim that Armored Core V will rely more on tactics and using the geography of the level rather than high-speed finger work. This harks back more to the original PS1 games, especially the first, as many levels were set within city type environments and were more tactical as a consequence. A notable difference will be smaller mechs (5 meter tall, as opposed to the 10 meter mech from the previous releases), which will allow more varied, "three dimensional" stages. Reports from the developer suggest a greater emphasis on stealth as a result of the size change, which allows the mech to maneuver between alleyways and buildings for cover.

The online mode will feature five-on-five team-based battles, with each side battling over specific objectives on a persistent world map. Additionally, one member of the team will be designated as a commander (called an "Operator"), whose job it will be to oversee the larger battle and issue orders to the other team members. A special interface is being designed by the developers to facilitate this.

Here is Namco Bandai's AC5 page which is honestly a bit lacking, and I would also like to point out this video for a bit of gameplay footage and a more inside look at some of the multiplayer features. (Warning: Commentator is kind of annoying)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Armored Core 5
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:16:29 pm »

I actually liked For Answer, call me a heathen if you will.

A return to the old style of the games doesn't seem a bad idea in any case, fingers crossed that V will be a step up and keep the series going.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:23:25 pm »

I really enjoyed AC2, never got round to picking up any of the others except the Demo for 4, which I wasn't a great fan of.

I suppose the big question is: Will there be a Karasawa? Will it make every other weapon look like an absolute joke? Can I have it?

Certainly a game I'll have to take a look at, maybe consider buying.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:06:37 pm »

*Bursts out of wall*
ARRRRMMOOOOOORRED COOOOOOREE

I'm a very old fan of this series. so much fun.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:46:21 pm by Heliman »

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:15:46 pm »

I came across this guy's youtube channel today which is basically a large selection of interesting clips scoured off of japan's version of youtube. They tend to be a bit low quality and (obviously) in japanese, but he gives suitable descriptions of what you should be noticing. Lots of multiplayer action to see. He also made a very neat spreadsheet of all the parts so you can toy around with your setup which you can find here: http://www.mediafire.com/?xcszh1atuciq5#myfiles

I actually liked For Answer, call me a heathen if you will.
Heh, I liked it too. AC 4 on it's own was a bit weak, but honestly I enjoyed pretty much every entry to the series. And yeah, the Karasawa is in the game and apparently fairly commonly used. It's strong but not game-breakingly so, as far as I can tell.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 03:12:17 pm »

After playing it a bit this weekend, I will say that it seems fairly good, but what were they thinking when they didn't include splitscreen?!?!?!?!  If I want to play this with my friends, I would rather have them just come over some splitscreen fun rather than dealing with internets and the fact none of them own the game.  I mean, they even had it in AC4 if I remember correctly, and they could have at least given a simple duel on a map, if not coop.  The more circular reticle would have made it even easier to implement fairly than lets say, AC2 where in splitscreen your FCS would target a larger area than your screen under some circumsances.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 03:26:15 pm »

what were they thinking when they didn't include splitscreen?!?!?!?!

If they have splitscreen then you and your friend don't ahve to buy two seperate copies of the game, another xbox (or PS3), 2 xbox live subscriptions, etc. Splitscreen and system-link are basically dead nowadays.