Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Organizer v1.3  (Read 25630 times)

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Organizer v1.3
« on: March 24, 2012, 09:11:22 pm »

I've made my Dwarf Organizer utility available at DFFD. Link to download: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5993

Dwarf Organizer is a utility to help make decisions about the distribution of labor among your citizens in Dwarf Fortress mode. Use it to identify the most suitable worker(s) for a job, to distribute a complex labor scheme over your whole population, or to do something in between. You decide!

How it works: You select a group of dwarves, and tell Dwarf Organizer how many of which jobs you want assigned to them. It will calculate the best way it can find to distribute the jobs, based on any rules and preferences you give it and the citizens' stats and skill levels. Results are listed in a window.

I highly recommend viewing the tutorial! (It's under the Help menu.) It has a lot of pictures.

DF Versions
DF 2010 31.* and DF 2012 34.* are supported. (See the note below about 34.01-34.05, however.)

DF 2012: 34.01-34.05
I do not know of an official DFHack release for 34.05 with the dwarfexport changes that Dwarf Organizer needs to work totally correctly. You would need to compile your own.

Requirements
You need Java version 6 in order to run Dwarf Organizer. You also need Runesmith (for DF "2010" 31.*) or DFHack (for DF "2012" 34.*). I have also provided some sample XML files so that curious fortress overseers can check out the program without those.

Installation
Unzip DwarfOrganizer.zip someplace and double-click DwarfOrganizer.jar. Or, if .jar files are not associated with Java on your system, open a command prompt and type the following (substituting the correct installed file path) :
java.exe -jar "c:\program files\dwarforganizer\dwarforganizer.jar"

Outstanding Issue
Dwarf Organizer doesn't know the stats associated with the following skills:
  • Wool Spinning
  • Press Operation
  • Wax Working
  • Bee Keeping
  • Glazing
  • Pottery
  • Shearing
In these cases, I attempted to follow the pattern. The stats were copied from labors that seemed very similar.

If I find out the stats associated with any of these labors, I'll update Dwarf Organizer with the new information. Until then, please take everything Dwarf Organizer says about those particular labors with a grain of salt!

Future Plans
Dwarf Organizer is not as fully-featured as I would like (but it does work). Here is my current long-term plan for improving it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Version History
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:00:27 pm by Antalia »
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

AnnanFay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Organizer v1.0
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:17:30 pm »

Thank you! :)

Looks cool!

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:20:52 pm »

If it interfaces with the DFhack library and runs on Java, does it work with the Linux build of DF?

AnnanFay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 09:23:01 pm »

If it interfaces with the DFhack library and runs on Java, does it work with the Linux build of DF?

You'll need to rename the Config directory to config since linux is case sensitive unlike windows. Other than that it's working for me with the example exports!

Edit: Haha, maybe I spoke too soon! Dwarf list works (it reads all specified dwarves) and logging works but  job settings aren't being loaded from file :S

Edit2:
To get it working in linux:
Code: [Select]
mv Config config
mkdir Config
mv config/group-list.txt Config
mv config/labor-list.txt Config

Loading jobs fine now :)

Some of the file paths are leading to "Config" while others to "config".
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 09:35:58 pm by AnnanFay »

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 09:31:38 pm »

It should, unless I had a Windows Moment. Which is semi-likely, because I don't have a Linux machine here to test ;)
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 09:41:11 pm »

You'll need to rename the Config directory to config since linux is case sensitive unlike windows. Other than that it's working for me with the example exports!
Oops, sorry! I'll make an update with lowercase paths. I see an instance where I used different cases with the Config directory, so it's probably not going to work.

Edit: Haha, maybe I spoke too soon! Dwarf list works (it reads all specified dwarves) and logging works but  job settings aren't being loaded from file :S
It is probably looking in the Samples directory for job settings, and that's probably an issue with capitalization again. I'll post back when I have an update to try.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 09:53:56 pm »

Okay, I have updated the file at DFFD to what I hope is a Linux-friendly version. Directories are in lowercase, and all references to directories are in lowercase.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Organizer v1.1
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 06:51:31 pm »

(I fixed a couple of problems yesterday - the original post and download file are updated.)

I have good news and bad news about DF2012 support...

Good: DFHack was released a little while ago for DF 34.06. This will let Dwarf Organizer work for people using the new DFHack.

Bad: If I understand the DFHack thread correctly, there will not be an official release adding my dwarfexport changes to a 34.05 version of DFHack. This means if you're using DF2012 and sticking to DF 34.05 for now (like I am), then to use Dwarf Organizer, you'd need to compile my updated dwarfexport into a 34.05 DFHack and install that. Unfortunately, even though I did this, I'm very Git-illiterate, a bit rusty with C, and not competent to write reliable instructions for others to accomplish the same :(

If I receive comments that others would like to use Dwarf Organizer with DF 34.05 (and you don't know how to do the thing I mentioned), I will make time to work out instructions--probably on the weekend.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 07:01:02 pm »

I haven't had a chance to look at this yet, but it sounds interesting. I'm mainly posting to say thanks for doing this is a platform-portable manner. I play on both a linux system and a windows system (using a USB drive) and it's nice to be able to have the same tools on both.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 07:30:52 pm »

I'm trying it out now, having just compiled the latest git tree of dfhack (finally!).

As an aside, -thank you- for making the zip extract to a separate directory. You don't know how annoying it is when everything unzips loose into the working directory, possibly clobbering existing files and making a mess.

The only downside is that since I'm using a standalone FVWM window manager on a Linux From Scratch system, I can't use your tutorial from the jar (my problem rather than yours; Java's Desktop API only works for GNOME and Windows), but it looks like you've just set it up to read from an included HTML file, so it's no big deal.

I'm interested in seeing what it can do.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 07:33:27 pm by drh »

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 07:57:40 pm »

thanks for doing this is a platform-portable manner
You're very welcome :)
-thank you- for making the zip extract to a separate directory
;) No problem!
I can't use your tutorial from the jar (my problem rather than yours; Java's Desktop API only works for GNOME and Windows)
Rats, I was so suspicious of that one-liner with the Java Desktop thing, menacing with spikes of too good to be true. And you're right: Help->Tutorial simply opens the HTML file located in the "tutorial" directory. You won't miss out on anything by opening it the normal way!

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Organizer v1.11
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 08:54:44 pm »

I uploaded a minor revision tonight--fixes for a couple problems (nothing too major) and removal of some minor annoyances in the interface. (There aren't new features yet, so unless you fear crashes, or want to use copy/paste in the big table, or are irritated by something the UI is doing--then this update is optional.)

By the way, does anyone know the stats associated with the labors listed under Outstanding Issues in the original post? Well, here is the list. (These labors were added to the game slightly after the major DF2010 !!science!! project involving skill/stat relationships, iirc.)
  • Wool Spinning
  • Press Operation
  • Wax Working
  • Bee Keeping
  • Glazing
  • Pottery
  • Shearing

GreyPowerVan

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:24:02 pm »

I love it, i always try to use it pre-embark to find out what my dwarves are good at, the only issue is that for some reason, i can only optimize -once- with a current joblist, then, even if i change the list, i have to re-load the java app. My first optimize works fine, but the second time, it acts like i have every job selected when I don't.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 03:58:57 am »

I love it, i always try to use it pre-embark to find out what my dwarves are good at, the only issue is that for some reason, i can only optimize -once- with a current joblist, then, even if i change the list, i have to re-load the java app. My first optimize works fine, but the second time, it acts like i have every job selected when I don't.
    To work around the problem for now, instead of closing the app, on the Dwarf List you can do File->Set location of Dwarves.xml. Your current file should already be selected in the file dialog that follows. Just choose Open in the file dialog (to re-open). This will reset any "Include" checkboxes in the Dwarf List, but it also happens to defeat the problem that is preventing a correct re-optimize. (Sorry about this!)

That was actually on my list to fix Sunday, but fixing other simple-looking things that had been annoying me, took longer than I thought. Anyway it's at the top of the list to fix this week! I will provide an update mid-week if I get to it, otherwise watch for one at the weekend.

[Edit pre-breakfast grogginess: Also, I am glad you like it! :)
    « Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:15:50 am by Antalia »

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: Dwarf Organizer v1.12
    « Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 05:54:39 pm »

v1.12 is up, and fixes the problem with incorrect results after the first optimization during a session. (No more workaround needed!)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4