Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Inspiration in my Novel  (Read 1974 times)

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Inspiration in my Novel
« on: April 05, 2012, 10:08:56 pm »

True Story from DF and direct quote from my fantasy novel:

At the end of the hall lies a massive pair of double doors, forged of gold, menacing with spikes of obsidian, and etched with platinum. On the doors is an image of Ezum Craterriddle’s confrontation against the dragon, Depthscholar the Great-Fanged. Ezum was the first king of Aeroch Kar, after they had been attacked by Depthscholar; most citizens went insane over the deaths of so many friends. Only Ezum and six other dwarves survived, they repaired and persevered for several seasons before a large group of dwarves, hearing of Ezum’s success, migrated to the city. (Didn't actually happen) With a party of dwarven warriors to accompany him Ezum went in search of the dragon’s horde, when he found it, Aeroch Kar became the richest city on the continent. (End didn't actually happen) Ezum’s legendary silver morningstar lies in the throne room and is always, and forever will be under heavy guard. The weapon is stained red from the dried blood of the dragon; carefully preserved over many years.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:57:24 pm by Urist McBeanie »

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Inspiration in my Novel
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:17:35 am »

I hope tarn and a link to DF made it into your dedication? Also, congratulations on writing a novel!!! I've started several, and of course, finished none.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:18:29 am »

Show, don't tell.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:49:41 am »

I hope tarn and a link to DF made it into your dedication? Also, congratulations on writing a novel!!! I've started several, and of course, finished none.

Try NaNoWriMo. Whilst you might not finish the novel in the month, you'll at least get a big enough chunk of it done that finishing it wont seem so impossible.

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 01:26:58 pm »

Show, don't tell.

Care to elaborate on what that means?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 03:43:55 pm »

"Show, don't tell is a technique often employed by writers, in order enable the reader to experience the story through action, words, thoughts, senses, and feelings rather than through the author's exposition, summarization, and description. The goal is not to drown the reader in heavy-handed adjectives, but rather to allow readers to experience the author's ideas by interpreting significant, well-chosen textual details."
-Wikipedia.

So telling is moving story fast, showing is slow and detailed, I think.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 04:27:20 pm »

Also, I think it means 'Don't tell people you're in the process of writing the book, actually write it'.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 05:16:25 pm »

"Show, don't tell" is the difference between revealing the world via the actions of the characters and the author telling the reader what something looks like.  For example, it's the difference between (from the OP):

"At the end of the hall lies a massive pair of double doors, forged of gold, menacing with spikes of obsidian, and etched with platinum."

vs

"Urist paused a moment to admire the massive pair of gold-forged double doors at the end of the hall.  Even from this distance, he could see the etched platinum filigree trace itself around countless spikes of obsidian." 

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 07:33:55 am »

Prior to this thread I really had no idea what people meant when they said that.

*takes notes*

Thought it does sound unfeasible to explain absolutely everything through character actions/reactions, though that might be a writing skill thing to sneak in descriptions without breaking flow.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 07:35:47 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 02:00:54 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't always have to be "show show show" all the time, but telling description goes flat pretty quickly (it's also not very interesting to read).  Like with most things, it's just a matter of practice and paying attention to when you're doing one or the other.

Don't let anything I or others might say dissuade you from writing though.  You're doing more than I've ever attempted.  Heheh...

Urist McBeanie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 02:17:06 pm »

Thanks for the advice