Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Extreme carp domination  (Read 16621 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme carp domination
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 10:41:55 am »

Which doesn't mean this isn't a particularly cruel and ultimately ineffectual way to go about it.

Apart from some form of targeted virus (not feasible with current technology, not to mention being dangerous and irresponsible) there is no good way to eliminate a single species. Poisoning won't work, as it would kill all the other fish as well. Importing predators could work, but they'd be just as likely to go after the local fish instead. Targeted hunting is one of the most effective ways to counter an invasive species. The fact that it doesn't work all that well simply highlights the difficulty of the situation.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 10:45:07 am »

Which doesn't mean this isn't a particularly cruel and ultimately ineffectual way to go about it.

Apart from some form of targeted virus (not feasible with current technology, not to mention being dangerous and irresponsible) there is no good way to eliminate a single species. Poisoning won't work, as it would kill all the other fish as well. Importing predators could work, but they'd be just as likely to go after the local fish instead. Targeted hunting is one of the most effective ways to counter an invasive species. The fact that it doesn't work all that well simply highlights the difficulty of the situation.

I think the objection was more to the use of crude maces and machetes as hunting tools. Can't say I see why, though. Dead is dead.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 10:58:19 am »

This isn't unprecedented.  Nutria are shot by the hundreds in the areas they're invasive.  States with feral pigs often have few or no hunting restrictions for them.  If you own it legally, you can kill a feral pig with it.  Cue people mowing them down from helicopters with an assault rifle.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 10:59:45 am »

I dunno. Honestly. It did not seem that ineffectual to me. They were actually killing them quite fast from what I can see, I am sure a bigger organization could do something more effective, but between this and just fishing it really seems to me that this is faster.

Not to mention they are raising awareness of this issue much more then just some fools fishing and posting videos of that would be.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 11:23:09 am »

Bit brutal, but kind of badass.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 11:24:41 am »

Problem is the rate at which the carp breed. They're even wosre than cats or rabbits.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 11:39:31 am »

Problem is the rate at which the carp breed. They're even wosre than cats or rabbits.

Is selling or fishing for them for food legal? Or are they non-consumable?
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 11:46:13 am »

Most people wouldn't eat them even if they are edible (which I don't know). People over here tend to be rather cautious about strange meats.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 11:49:17 am »

Because of the chance that it might be roadkill?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 11:51:42 am »

I think the objection was more to the use of crude maces and machetes as hunting tools. Can't say I see why, though. Dead is dead.

It's not that we enjoy shooting penguins, but if you have to do it, you might as well enjoy it!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 11:56:00 am »

Is selling or fishing for them for food legal? Or are they non-consumable?
Oh, they're quite edible (had more than a few specimens in China). Part of the problem is that "carp" in the US typically refers to European carp, which taste like mud -- similar to wild catfish. Hence the attempt to rename them "silverfins" or "Kentucky tuna" (the latter one bothers me more...my first thought is that Kentucky has no coastline, and the second is wondering if this is a euphemistic name, like Rocky Mountain spotted oysters).

There's also apparently a growing industry in turning them into fertilizer (fish meat is typically high in potassium and phosphorus, and fish meal is actually a pretty decent soil additive).

EDIT: note about catfish being a type of carp removed -- they're not even the same order.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:30:49 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 12:10:07 pm »

Yeah, most of the carp seemed more towards the severely injured to mortally wounded side of the sliding scale of dead which means they won the slow painful death lottery. And like you mentioned, the things breed like crazy, this probably hasn't dented their population at all. Unless we can turn it into some kind of Murder Vacation and have thousands of tourists from all over the world don water skis in an effort to bash in some flying fish skulls like some medieval Mario.

The best thing is what we're already trying, which is to get people to eat the damn things. Nothing culls a population like a desire for its flesh.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 12:12:32 pm »

@fqllve, what you don't know is that there already are frequent carp fishing events there.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 12:30:06 pm »

It'll be hard to do that.  Like RedKing said, carp are stigmatized, they're seen as disgusting bottom feeders with bad meat.
Shoes...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 01:23:26 pm »

We should get everyone playing DF then ^-^
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4