Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Science Thread: Taming and Training  (Read 71574 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Science Thread: Taming and Training
« on: March 25, 2012, 07:39:53 pm »

So let's try and get a bit organized here.
Girlinhat has become a Bookkeeper!

What do we know about the new taming and training, and what has yet to be verified?

We Know:
You now use a zone instead of the kennels, created via the "i" menu.
[PET] and [PET_EXOTIC] may be tamed.
Taming may "wear off" after a time and the animal reverts to a wild or semi-wild state.
A dwarf assigned to the animal will automatically re-tame an animal that has begun to revert.
As your dwarves learn more about specific creatures, they become easier to tame.
An animal trained while in the child stage will become fully domesticated.
The offspring of a tame creature will have the same training level as the mother initially
The mother does not have to be tame, the offspring can still become fully domesticated.
Exotic animals will now breed, both tame and untame.
If a tamer practices on one animal multiple times, they can become bonded to the animal and suffer a negative thought when the animal is killed, similar to owning a pet.
If a tamer is bonded with an animal, and tames that animal to reinforce its tameness, then it will remain tame for longer.
If your civilization is extremely familiar with a creature, you can turn it from wild to domestic in the first tame.
Formerly-tame creatures become immune to traps.

We Need to Confirm:
The taming of stolen merchant creatures or modded [PET] invaders.
Savage creatures (like Giant Desert Scorpions) are harder to keep tame.
Size of creature determines difficulty to tame.

We Don't Know:
How skill affects the taming rate.
How knowledge affects the taming rate.
Exactly how reversion is figured.

Go now.  Science.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:43:41 pm by Girlinhat »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Science Thread: Taming and Training
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:40:31 pm »

(Being updated as data becomes available.)

Wording is an issue.  Words here are used very specifically:
Trainer refers to a dwarf with the appropriate labors enabled and the one who interacts with the animal in order to tame and/or train it.
Taming refers to taking an animal which is wild and turning it into a friendly creature.
Training refers to taking a friendly animal and converting it into a war/hunting animal.
These words will not be misplaced, every word means what it sounds like it means.

A training zone is created via the "i" menu, similar to garbage and pasture zones.

The steps to taming and training:
Capture a wild animal or an invader's mount in a cage trap.
Open the "z" stock screen for animals and assign the creature to be tamed using any trainer or a specific trainer.
  • The trainer will take a piece of food that the animal will eat, be it meat, plant, or fish, and take it to the animal's cage.
  • The level of tameness depends on the skill of the trainer.
  • The now-tame creature will remain in its cage.
As time goes on, the animal will revert from ☼Tamed☼ to ≡Tamed≡ to *Tamed* to +Tamed+ to -Tamed- to Tamed to Semi-Wild to Wild.
  • The quality of taming depends on the trainer's skill level.
  • This means a better trainer will keep an animal tame for a longer duration as it degrades over stages.
If an animal is left in its cage, the the trainer assigned to the animal will re-tame the animal once it has become "Wild".
If an animal is not in a cage, there must be a training zone designated, and dwarves will take the creature there to reinforce its training and/or taming.
If left in proper conditions, any tame animal will breed.
  • Yes, [PET_EXOTIC] will breed now!
The offspring may be kept tamed, and when they become adults they will become "Domesticated".
  • Domestic animals will never revert - you now have a safe pet species.
  • This also means it's possible to keep a set of wild animals breeding along with a set of domestic animals of the same species, allowing animal trainers to gain experience on wild foxes being bred.
A tamed or domestic creature that can be trained, can be trained into a war or hunting variety at a training zone.
  • These are designated via the "i" zone screen.
Over time, the training level will wear off and the trainer will return the animal to the training zone to reinforce the training.
  • The decay of training isn't yet known.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:46:52 pm by Girlinhat »

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »

I've never tamed anything yet; is there any known Science on attempting to tame dangerous creatures? Like, if you try to tame that voracious cave crawler, does it have a chance to escape from its cage?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:48:38 pm »

Apparently no, the taming occurs at a cage by bringing over food, same as previous versions.  However, once out of the cage, taming will be maintained by bringing the creature to a taming zone and reinforcing it.  Presumably, this is the ideal time for berzerk animal attacks.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 09:03:15 pm »

About a year ago I bought a bonobo and a weasel from the elves. On the "Creatures" tab of the Animals screen, they have a green "D" for "Domesticated," just like the livestock from my dwarven civ. On the "Overall Training" tab, weasels and bonobos aren't listed at all (various other animals are listed as either "Domesticated" or "General Familiarity").

Just in case they had a chance to revert, I assigned a trainer to the bonobo and the weasel. However, I've never noticed them receiving any training, or lashing out (not 100% sure that either hasn't happened, if these don't come with a notification message).

So, perhaps once an individual animal is "Domesticated," it will never revert, even if your own civ or site has no knowledge of training that animal?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:05:02 pm by Raphite1 »

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 09:21:46 pm »

I know you get an announcement when you learn about a creature. Are there other announcements than just:

The dwarves of -Civilization- have now learned a few facts about Wild Vulture training
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 09:29:21 pm »

I assume this happens when your civilization gains more knowledge, which happens each time the caravan leaves the map.  But no one has reported any further findings yet.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 09:38:12 pm »

I have two very good animal trainers, one 11 and on 12, came in two consecutive waves. Winter second year I have two tamed crundles, a tamed giant rat and a hunting giant bat. Training proceeded quickly and without incident. One crundle is currently trained, one is well trained. The rat and bat are both well trained. They are all still in cages. Nobody seems to want to let them out. I have not seen any reinforcement jobs nor have I seen the training level drop at all since they were trained, but I haven't been paying closest attention.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 09:42:45 pm »

You also have some pretty solid tamers there, so that may be related to skill, that they have not reverted.

You can release animals by building the cage and releasing it, or by pitting the animal somewhere easy.  Have you attempted this to let them out?  Left alone, there is no prompt for any dwarves to release them, so they stay in the cages.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 09:50:39 pm »

Figured it out, I had a training/pen zone and I built the cages in the zone. Don't do that. The game gets confused as to whether they are in the zone or the cage.

Edit: and I just saw a trainer go give the bat a second round of hunting training :)
Edit 2: and he's fully tamed! That training session took a while, five days in game.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:55:50 pm by GhostDwemer »

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 09:55:26 pm »

This is unconfirmed, but creatures tamed young (child forms), will be tamer than creatures caught wild and then tamed.

What that means for a fort is that the offspring of your semi-wild pets will only be better trained if your dwarves get to them while they're young. Child forms with a short duration could present a problem here.

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 09:55:44 pm »

My trainer is rank 6.  I have caught many bugbats from the 3rd cavern level.  They have produced offspring.  I'm currently on my 3rd generation of bugbats.  The baby bugbats from the 1st and 2nd gen offspring have come out semi-wild with the average training level of the parents being simply "trained."  I butcher each generation of parents after each female has given birth to prevent breeding from one generation to the next.

I can also confirm that you can tame the mounts from invaders.  My goblin neighbors have recently supplied me with some viscous cave crawlers.

My trainer doesn't seem to like working with semi-wild animals that aren't in cages.  You can't assign a semi-wild animal to a built cage from a chain; when you tell them to take them off of the chain you will get a "no empty cages" error if there are no empty cages in your animal stockpile.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 09:58:32 pm »

Edit: and I just saw a trainer go give the bat a second round of hunting training :)
Can you confirm the job that was in place?  "Train Animal" or something like "Reinforce Training" or somesuch?  Did it vary any from anything else?
This is unconfirmed, but creatures tamed young (child forms), will be tamer than creatures caught wild and then tamed.
If you can get any confirmation that would be appreciated.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 10:09:26 pm »

Can you confirm the job that was in place?  "Train Animal" or something like "Reinforce Training" or somesuch?  Did it vary any from anything else?

Well, now he is just skillfully trained, not 'tame.' I'm trying to keep an eye on training while getting other necessary things done, safety wise. So I miss things. I think it was 'train hunting animal' but I know this was the second time he got trained as a hunter because he was already listed as a hunting giant bat.

Puppies are growing up, I'm going to level them up on war dog training. So lucky getting two excellent trainers. The second one just leveled up to 12! I now have two master level animal trainers and you know what? I danger room trained them in nothing but clothing to train up their dodge and fighter to adequate before I had them do any training. I did not want to lose them and didn't know how dangerous it would be for them. :) I'm trying to keep this fort going long term to examine the new training and clothing patches.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 10:19:54 pm »

Ooh! A stray crundle (semi-wild) has forgotten her training! Uh oh. She's not in cage, she's pastured in the same big kennel/pasture/training facility where I am currently training a pack of war dogs. Stay tuned.

Edit: and the trainer grabbed her and gave her a training. One thing to note is that only the initial training appears to require food. He did not need to leave the room to grab food and I had not thought to stockpile it there. The job is "Train stray crundle (trained)"
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:22:50 pm by GhostDwemer »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16