Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Semi-Sapiants

<< < (33/38) > >>

Splint:
Class warfare you say? Man those non-military nobility are screwed...

Oh wait, you meant socially...

I gotta say, I'm starting to warm up to some of the more complex things mentioned. Others... not so much.

GreatWyrmGold:

--- Quote from: NW_Kohaku on May 05, 2012, 08:05:57 pm ---
--- Quote from: GreatWyrmGold on May 05, 2012, 05:40:09 pm ---Also bear in mind that, if we're talking about technologically/socially "inferior" races like the animalmen, there is historical precedent for treating them as a resource (enslaving them, that is), as well as for treating them like people (sometimes even inter-marriage) and genocide. Dwarves are against slavery, so they'd probably tend towards integration or extermination rather than subjugation, but that should be more a matter of ethics/unhappy thoughts/whatever than a game mechanic.

--- End quote ---

Ethics/Unhappy thoughts/Whatever are game mechanics, however, (presuming most normal definitions of "Whatever",) and so that is a statement that needs a better description. 

--- End quote ---
Anything that makes animalpeople, etc, more than resources should be based more in the mechanics of dwarven psychology than in those of actually allying with them.

--- Quote ---Anyway, it's Personality Rewrite stuff, but making a xenophobia personality trait or derivative of their cultural ethics (probably with cross-pollenation, if possible). 
Likewise, some cultures having high cultural pride does not by any means preclude others from having low cultural pride and being willing to adopt any new practice that seems to come from a "superior culture".  In fact, you could just call it a "reticence to change" and apply it both ways, as the marker of dwarven xenophobia and how upset they will get at "the beastmen polluting our proud dwarven culture" just as much as the animalmen will see dwarven intervention as "brutish outsiders with no respect for the old ways". 
Conversely, it may be opposed by (or if simply at the low end of the spectrum of the xenophobia personality trait) some sort o cultural curiosity. 
--- End quote ---
My point was that many cultures were very receptive to "greater" cultures coming in and destroying theirs. Sure, humans, goblins, and probably elves would resist assimilation, as would some groups of other sentients, but many would tend to flock to a chance to enjoy the "soft, easy" life afforded by dwarven civilization.

--- Quote ---We are supposed to be exploring the game not as some sort of deity, but as the consensus of the bureaucracy of the fortress itself.  To be subjected to pressures both from the animalmen and from the dwarven populace over every decision that you do or don't make, with the necessity to please every faction of each side could make the game's internal politics an interesting one.
... Suddenly, I'm merging this idea very heavily with the ideas I've had for expanding Class Warfare...
--- End quote ---
I was fairly certain that that's why our debate, and that of others, has been going on for so long in this thread.

--- Quote from: Splint on May 05, 2012, 09:00:11 pm ---I gotta say, I'm starting to warm up to some of the more complex things mentioned. Others... not so much.

--- End quote ---
Mind explaining what you do and don't like?

Splint:
To much one either side to really list. Plus I don't feel like sifting through the loads and loads of stuff here.

Thing I like: Having to keep the new tribals happy or they backstab/leave you.

Thing I don't: Going into the psychology of the dwarves too much. Althought a very xenophobic king would probably pitch a fit when/if you become a mountainhome with a mess of legal alien residents, which is always funny.

Dwarves just strike me overall though as not caring so long as they earn thier keep (help drive off invaders and whatnot.) I dunno. I've been up too long (52 hours. Test anxiety and caffine is one hell of a combination.) and don't really know where I'm going with most of what I say anymore.

Masked_Hunter1825:
Just out of curiosity to some earlier statements. . the people who would butcher kittens and puppies, make their dwarves go insane and generally be all-around crazy and likely making their fortress area's surface apocalyptic. . . have problems with slavery? And uplifting? Forget about black white and gray morals. People here have Violet and Turquoise and Banana as their morals.

Back on topic. . I love this idea. The thought that if I manage to survive long enough that I could have an entire fortress that once belonged to the now removed dwarves, houses a civilization of moosefolk is amazing. I support this!

Splint:
No, our morals are clearly bacon and necktie. There's a difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version