Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Buzzards!!! *Shakes fist at sky*  (Read 31602 times)

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
Buzzards!!! *Shakes fist at sky*
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:26:56 pm »

So, apparently not only are buzzards a nuisance, but also a serious hazard to a young fort. My fresh embark in a .06 world was going well - the outer wall was erected, the meeting hall dug and the magma forges set (I'm playing with Fortress Defense, so I need a metal industry early). Suddenly, I see a combat report. Upon hitting 'r', I, in fact, see about a dozen combat reports, six dwarves and six buzzards.

Most of the reports are just a few attacks of bruising on both sides, but when I check my miner...

Eleven. Eleven pages of the buzzard shaking him around by the arm. Most of the results were just major bruising, but then, finally, shortly before my nearby militia commander whacked it once with his battleaxe and put an end to it, it manages to tear the skin. My CMD is busy hauling and I have no hospital. My bedrooms are still under construction, but I figure they'll be done; however, tragedy strikes. A mere two in-game weeks after the bite, I get the message "Urist McMiner, Buzzard Victim has been found dead from infection!".

Needless to say, in a fort that had been going for approximately twenty out of game minutes and about a season in-game, no dwarves were happy. One particularly wimpy planter who had been starving to death (Let's just say this wasn't my greatest fort...) snapped almost instantly and went stark raving mad. My farmer threw a tantrum and blew up my still AND my plump helmet fields, rendering my fort without food OR drink as the river was frozen over. I feel sorry for whatever reclamation party arrives.

And, so this topic warrants a bit more than a "Cool Story, Bro!", I unearthed a bit of possible !!SCIENCE!!... Apparently, the "doesn't care about anything any more." tag is rediculously easy to get. After simply being attacked by a buzzard and being hungry/sleeping on the grass, my miner attained it shortly before she died. She never even dipped to unhappy.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzards!!! *Shakes fist at sky*
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 08:45:10 pm »

that's nothing.  Try building a giant megaproject in the sky and watch your dwarves dodge off and splat because of buzzards.

Of course, the upside is you can station marksdwarves and the buzzards will go splat even more.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:46:05 pm »

Axelords are the solution.

Also interesting!  I've been trying to pin down exactly what registers psychological hardening, and I believe it relates exactly to combat.  Specifically, relating to witnessing deaths as a result of combat (such as axelords or falling damage, but not butchering) or of being attacked.  I'm not sure if witnessing combat will encourage it or if they must receive combat upon themselves.

Either way, I know how to train my militia.  Give a recruit a steel helm and set him to kill a GCS.  Before he arrives, cancel the order and he'll flee.  After being webbed and bitten on the head for months of abuse, he'll eventually crawl away and the GCS will be re-caged by prepared traps, hopefully obtaining endurance and psychological trauma.  May be lethal, but that's fine as well.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:50:01 pm »

Suddenly I don't feel like a Complete Monster anymore.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »

They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Oh, and the buggers steal. If you don't build an air defense system then they'll swoop down into your surface fortresses and run away with items. They also like to run off with masterwork bolts still stuck in them.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Urist McBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:24:26 pm »

Oh, and the buggers steal. If you don't build an air defense system then they'll swoop down into your surface fortresses and run away with items. They also like to run off with masterwork bolts still stuck in them.

Forget the masterwork bolts, stacks of food! Not just one or too, but stacks of 5 cave lobsters these beasts took off with! I lost nearly all the food I brought on embark thanks to the aerial scourge.
This is a known source of vexation.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:32:16 pm »

I don't even embark with food.  Softy...

Urist McBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:37 pm »

I don't even embark with food.  Softy...

Yeah, I'm not quite good enough to keep a fort going on ☼Dwarven Child Roast☼ tenderized by wild turkeys, sadly, but you don't have to rub it in.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 09:46:34 pm »

Yeah, I'm not quite good enough

You shouldn't say things like that! You need to remain optimistic, you need to believe in your own abilities and not allow yourself to become demoralised by what others accomplish. Your own achievements are no doubt grant, and even by coming to grips with the complexity of Dwarf Fortress itself have you proven that.

You might think that you're not good enough, but have you ever stopped to consider that the very reason why you're not good enough is because you think that? You have to believe in yourself!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
/人‿‿人\

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 09:50:26 pm »

Embark with a herbalist + farmer, with 5 points in both skills.  Immediately, order the map to be harvested of all plants.  By the time anyone is hungry, you've already got something foraged and can produce some abover-ground farms.  Water for their first drink, booze by the time spring ends.  Works perfect.

Urist McBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:02:29 pm »

So I should stand tall and grow mighty so that my fall can be all the (bitter?)sweeter? That sounds really cool, actually.

Embark with a herbalist + farmer, with 5 points in both skills.  Immediately, order the map to be harvested of all plants.  By the time anyone is hungry, you've already got something foraged and can produce some abover-ground farms.  Water for their first drink, booze by the time spring ends.  Works perfect.

Water for their first drink

Water

ISHYGDDT

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 10:08:16 pm »

*sips tea* That first drink of water affords me to embark with a half ton of marble and reforge native iron or claimed goblinite into a significant amount of steel.  A set of steel spears counts heavier than a drink of water.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 10:16:17 pm »

Frankly... I'm having trouble imagining a situation in which the survival of an entire fortress depends entirely on getting a few Steel Spears churned out a month faster than normal.

A year of torture at the hands of a GCS is one thing, but to deprive a dwarf of alcohol... you're dedwarvenising them. You might as well have them frolick in meadows picking flowers and... wait...

Embark with a herbalist + farmer, with 5 points in both skills.  Immediately, order the map to be harvested of all plants.

She's a witch an elf! Burn her.
/人‿‿人\

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 10:17:19 pm »

But... I really like deserts and oceans. Though, to be fair, I only embark with seeds and drinks. And when dwarves die, that means less demand on drinks. Problem solved!
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 10:18:42 pm »

Don't even start that on me.  I'll be the last to accuse of elfdom.

Embarking with flux proves important if your site has none.  It's not "a few months sooner" is "at all".  Caravans don't bring enough to supply a military, even buying out all their flux and bars.  I can embark with like 150 or whatever marble boulders, that's a lot of steel.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5