Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Favorite animal targets for taming?  (Read 9085 times)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite animal targets for taming?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 02:06:45 pm »

what I do, is I breed badgers or jaguars. Very. VERY. Useful. twenty-five war badgers prepped for a seige. Oh yes
I used to have a fortress where every important dwarf had giant war badgers as their personal pet, it was the safest fortress ever.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 12:47:36 am »

Can't you use a trainer who can swim?

Doesn't matter.  Water deeper than 3/7 is marked as impassible, and jobs in impassible tiles are cancelled, even for creatures who can swim.  It's why you can't build aquatic forts even if you mod dwarves to not need to breath and/or swim innately.  Having a trainer who can swim just means the trainer won't drown after cancelling the job.

I thought depth 3 water was enough to keep aquatics alive, but only depth 4 water blocked pathing, and as such, depth 3 water could let land and sea creatures co-habitate.

I'm pretty sure aquatic creatures air-drown at 3/7, but I don't have an appropriate fortress up to check at the moment.

I just had another idea!

You that bug where water sometimes gets trapped inside trees?

Well... you could also use the same bug to get a whale inside a tree along with a tile of water, then get the trainer to train from the adjacent square.

...in (spurious and over-elaborate) theory.
[Signature]

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 01:10:05 am »

I suppose it's up to me to determine how the new taming system works with sea serpents.

Although it also looks like giant sperm whales should be tameable.  Time to build yet another ocean-side fortress.
I just had an idea...

Giant sponge (tame).

My God.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 01:46:40 am »

Sphalerite - there used to be a thread on someone who succesfully managed to train war carp - It was an amazingly crazy feat, but it could be done.

Have things changed since then? I don't remember any patch notes specifically changing the way job cancellations got affected by water.

EDIT: here it is: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15371.0

Wow its from blasted 2008 O_O. HOW LONG HAVE I BEEN HERE! LET ME OUT!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:49:50 am by parlor_tricks »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 01:55:12 am »

GCS, GDS, cave crocs, naked mole dogs. And all sorts of dragons of course.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 01:55:59 am »

I want War Unicorns.   :o
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

acehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 04:09:37 am »

Caught a dragon sooo, my current favorite is dragons  :D
Too bad they basically won't ever grow up Haha. I am going to enjoy trying to get it trained enough to trust it uncaged, but right now I have a really lousy trainer and it reverts constantly. I need to catch some other stuff to get a better trainer.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 07:20:36 am »

I've always wanted to have a hallway of dangerous fish dragging the siegers into the water:
z+0:
Code: [Select]
#+#+#+#
+++++++
#+#+#+#
z-1:
Code: [Select]
cOcOcOc
OOOOOOO
cOcOcOc
# being hatch covers, O walls, + floors and c CARPS OF WAR MENACING WITH SPIKEY TEETH OF GOBLIN DEATH!  8)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 09:58:28 am »

I am quite partial to a nice helping of rhinocerosseses.
what I do, is I breed badgers or jaguars. Very. VERY. Useful. twenty-five war badgers prepped for a seige. Oh yes
Don't badgers work more or less as angry war dogs? Not particularly useful I'd think.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 10:45:50 am »

No, but very amusing.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 12:50:38 pm »

Badgers. My old fort had a bit of trouble with them and I came to respect their prowess.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3]