Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is LCS 4.04 the most up to date version?  (Read 2606 times)

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is LCS 4.04 the most up to date version?
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:00:34 pm »

Hey, I was just wondering if LCS 4.04 is the most up to date version of the game?  Is 4.04's source code floating around anywhere?  Is it still being worked on?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is LCS 4.04 the most up to date version?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:54:02 pm »

There's an SVN with the very newest changes on it, but 4.04 is the latest "full" release. And yes, the source code is freely available and is being worked on right now.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:55:02 pm »

Yes, that's the most recent official version. Yes, it's still being worked on. Yes, you can get the trunk (source code) for free. There's a mod for it (Genesis 9.0) on this subforum that adds some neat stuff, but that has some graphical bugs that should keep you playing vanilla until you memorize all the keybindings and can deal with missing text.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:04:54 pm »

Cool, I'm glad it's still being worked on.  I've played the game at length before, so I'll try out the 0.9 thingy by Deon, I suppose.

Does anyone (hint: Jonathan S. Fox or Deon) know what's coming in a newer version?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:26:56 pm »

Jonathan is working on another project at the moment, and Deon is doing something else as well. Ultimately, the only thing that makes a version of LCS official is being released by Jonathan. Otherwise it's pretty much open source development, but no one is actually doing that at the moment.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 04:27:05 am »

Jonathan is working on another project at the moment, and Deon is doing something else as well. Ultimately, the only thing that makes a version of LCS official is being released by Jonathan. Otherwise it's pretty much open source development, but no one is actually doing that at the moment.

I would say Deon's mod is the most up to date version, and would recommend it above the 4.04 build. I intend to integrate a lot of his changes (some with modifications) into the mainline next time I push out a release. I had meant to do that already, but the interrogation rework ended up taking awhile, and I stopped part way to go back to my other projects.

The only reason my releases are seen as "official" is because I've been doing them for awhile, and nobody ever called me on it. My releases aren't backed by any hierarchical authority except what has built up implicitly since I started updating the game. Toady has never officially passed the torch, he just retired from maintaining the game and I grabbed the torch from the ground and acted like I knew what I was doing. The only reason I'm still carrying it is because nobody else has tried to take it. (I even tried a couple times to hand it off, but to no avail.)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:31:59 pm »

And we all love you for your dedication, Jonathan!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 04:27:50 pm »

Hey now, your name is underneath the forum description.  If that isn't authority I don't know what is.

Yannanth

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 06:22:59 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 04:48:23 am by Yannanth »