Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Notch from mojong game about ready with a space game ( creator of minecraft)  (Read 49285 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well minecraft is highly moddable and a lot of mods he and jeb and the new hires have incorparated into the game.  As far as teh space game goes i think when he spikes his twitter feed his close to an annoucement.

I found another space exploration game coming up star farer seems to be moving along at a half decent pace

If he wants graphics type of inspiration check out pioneer

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

I don't think Notch is as bad as people think he is. He seems pretty competent at punching out game concepts and mechanics in very short periods of time and is pretty creative with his assets

It comes more from the fact that people see Notch's update speed as very slow and the fact that even independent modders have often seemed to work faster then his actual development team.
Oh I understand why people think this of him, it's just an incredibly silly and short-minded reason.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

Good try, but YOU ADDED A PERIOD AT THE END, grasshopper.

His grammar-suck-fu is too strong for you.

... Troll! Grammar Nazi!  >:(

Stop whining about the grammar. You're only making Bay12 look bad.

... Reverse troll! Grammar Ally(?)!  8)

It's not like people are complaining about a bad use of commas, the dude has less grasp of sentance structure than Yoda, and seems to be quite confrontational about it. Also his post had a 3/1 tweet ratio and never even posted a link to the tweets. For shame!

I don't think Notch is as bad as people think he is. He seems pretty competent at punching out game concepts and mechanics in very short periods of time and is pretty creative with his assets. Minecraft was a titan of a beast to handle, and for a guy forming his first company at the same time million of people are buying the game, this wasn't too bad. It surely didn't sink as expected of that situation. Not to mention 90% of those buyers being shit.

Notch seems good at sitting down in a weekend or few days and bashing out a game, it's when he has a long project to work on that he gets bored and unfocused. Pretty much every aspect of minecraft is unfinished, except arguably the building stuff with blocks aspect. It's full of bugs that have been there for ages, and the majority of the features he's promised over the years haven't been added at all. The fact that he has an extremely successfull company and still doesn't have basic things like customer support kinda speaks badly of his ability to handle stuff. And then you get problems like the N-word showing up multiple times in the translations because he's too cheap to pay someone to do it which is just laughable.

Plus the whole minecon fiasco.

That's why I have little faith in this everything-and-the-kitchen-sink space game. Unless he drastically changes the way he makes games it's far too lofty a goal. And I honestly can't see him doing that. It's not the gamers expectations you should be worried about, it's Notch's.

Stealth edit: Minecraft isn't designed to be highly moddable. Technically all mods for minecraft are illegal because the code is obfuscated and that's why every time it gets updated everything breaks. That there are mods at all speaks more about the minecraft community than Notch. Pointing to mods and saying "they fix it" isn't a defense for Notch. It's a deficiancy.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

well minecraft is highly moddable and a lot of mods he and jeb and the new hires have incorparated into the game.  As far as teh space game goes i think when he spikes his twitter feed his close to an annoucement.

I found another space exploration game coming up star farer seems to be moving along at a half decent pace

If he wants graphics type of inspiration check out pioneer

Until mod support is added, mods are not part of the 'update speed' equation. Even then, mods aren't even official updates, so that invalidates your statement.

Jeb is more competent than Notch though, and with him at the helm of Minecraft updates, things are pretty good.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually I think Notch is doing the SAME tactic as the guys who made Terraria

They offer you the moon and then do not deliver.

So why wouldn't Notch sell a game and say it will some day be amazing if it earns him lots and lots of money?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Yeah. Fortunately for Minecraft, it has a development team, unlike Terraria where there's only one guy doing all the coding.

It would explain why he suddenly got bored with developing the game and... doing nothing tangible yet, I suppose?

And of course, he's the one who basically made the 'pay now to get alpha' schtick famous, so why wouldn't he do that with his space game?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Terraria people are making a Space game which is frankly A LOT like Terraria.

I am REALLY curious if they are going to pull the same thing with it as they did Terraria and try to build it up as some sort of epic continuously developed game.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Damn it, I had things I wanted to do today.  Being reminded of Firefly makes accomplishing these things significantly less likely.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools

I'm one of the folks that thinks that Minecraft is fun and worth playing, but may have been a fluke of a pet project exploding with success. Notch still has to prove himself and his company by having two or three good games under his belt, and/or having a more complete product than Minecraft. (I mean, villages? Seriously?) I don't doubt that they can, and I hope they do, but I fear that Notch may allow his company to go the way of so many others by developing whatever their whims dictate, and/or whatever might make the most money. It's a young company, but it's a direction most companies head if they don't go bankrupt.

Anyhow I am still waiting for Notch's procedural card game that I doubt he will ever actually make. Though this topic isn't too helpful since I really got no information except that "it puts Spore to shame" except frankly... All games do that.

Heck I read Kenshi's "FAQ" and THE VAST MAJORITY is it saying how much better and different it is going to be then other games.

I typically don't trust the whole "my thing will be so much better than other stuff", and feel inclined to think the opposite is really true when I read it. I'm not sure where Kenshi fits into the discussion, but I've played Kenshi's demo, and it feels like a standard low-fantasy RPG set in a desert. It's cool and has a style of its own, but most games aren't as groundbreaking as their ideals claim them to be. Combining a bunch of old ideas with fresh ones doesn't produce a bad product, but pretending that the product is the best thing ever just feels like hot air to me.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile

On the other hand, if you asked me to name a game that was much more groundbreaking than its ideals claimed, the first word on my lips would be Minecraft. Notch doesn't have all my faith, but hey, dude made Minecraft. You can't deny that's an impressive thing to have on your resume, whether or not he's an impressive person.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And of course, he's the one who basically made the 'pay now to get alpha' schtick famous, so why wouldn't he do that with his space game?
Uh. I dunno about making it famous. I mean, his game sold a lot, but it wasn't the only major release with that model. How about Mount & Blade? That sold well enough and operated under the same principle before Minecraft. In a few ways, you could even say Minecraft followed what happened with M&B all too much (like incorporating neat mod ideas into the main game rather than refining stuff already there).

I wouldn't be so much concerned with feature completeness (I actually think Minecraft could use more features, like a combat system that isn't total crap) as with plain coding quality. I mean, for something that uses pixelated textures, blocks for its geometry, and relatively simple shading, Minecraft runs pretty shit, I'd say. Like it heats up the computer faster than Crysis 2, Skyrim or Mass Effect 3.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel

Uh. I dunno about making it famous. I mean, his game sold a lot, but it wasn't the only major release with that model. How about Mount & Blade? That sold well enough and operated under the same principle before Minecraft. In a few ways, you could even say Minecraft followed what happened with M&B all too much (like incorporating neat mod ideas into the main game rather than refining stuff already there).

I wouldn't be so much concerned with feature completeness (I actually think Minecraft could use more features, like a combat system that isn't total crap) as with plain coding quality. I mean, for something that uses pixelated textures, blocks for its geometry, and relatively simple shading, Minecraft runs pretty shit, I'd say. Like it heats up the computer faster than Crysis 2, Skyrim or Mass Effect 3.

I once looked at this size scale thing, it ranged from stuff like atoms and such to universes. Minecraft world was about the size of Neptune. That might be a part of the problem.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I once looked at this size scale thing, it ranged from stuff like atoms and such to universes. Minecraft world was about the size of Neptune. That might be a part of the problem.
World size shouldn't factor into this. You don't store the whole world in your RAM and you don't render the whole world every frame. Heck, you're not even supposed to render all of what's in front of the player, just the parts that are visible.

Plus I'm pretty sure most of Minecraft's world lies in a state of nonexistence until you go near it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure where Kenshi fits into the discussion, but I've played Kenshi's demo, and it feels like a standard low-fantasy RPG set in a desert

It fits in because if you go to their official site and check their official FAQs you will see exactly what they are promising with Kenshi and it is mostly "We will be better" and "We will be different" and "Take that Elder Scrolls".

Even to the extent that I sort of wonder if Kenshi is a game made out of spite.

It is also an example because by all means Kenshi isn't promising the moon so I won't be putting Kenshi down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8