Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Notch from mojong game about ready with a space game ( creator of minecraft)  (Read 49294 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Sig'd :P

I'm also very confident on notch's ability to punch out game ideas into decent games, but like with everyone I'm veeeery skeptical of his ability of actualy completing it in any way, at least in the next 4 years.

Not only that. Blockade Runner exists and its development is going at a nice pace, so I have no reason to be excited for a minecraft-eske space sim.

Also what caught my eye about the OP wasn't the lack of grammar and punctuation, but the absolute need to express that NOTCH, FROM MOJANG, (DID I MENTION HE CREATED MINECRAFT?) IS CREATING A SPACE RELATED GAME
Kay, I'll be quiet now.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:15:31 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

See this is a good example. It's cool and all but what will it add to the game? Will you have to program things to progress through missions or use your ship? If so will there be a detailed and usefull tutorial? If not then this is just something Notch thought was cool and added in with no thought as to wether the game needed it, or what it would add.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish Notch would sit down and write out a design document for his games, and then stick to it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I dunno, I think this is pretty neat, and is something I've actually wanted for a long time in games.

Though personally, I was thinking more virtual pcs running a barebones linux console.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

It's not so much whether it's neat and will be a cool thing in the game, it's that I doubt it's really been thought out beyond that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Plus isn't typing on a computer inside a game a LOT like building blocks? and all we want from Notch is more kinds of blocks.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile

Code Minecraft inside of Spacegame.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

It's stuff like this that makes me wish Notch would sit down and write out a design document for his games, and then stick to it.
What makes you think he didn't? Because Minecraft? the game he started on a whim as a technical demo and feature creeped its way to success? No assumptions that after forming a company with multiple people and at least one guy skilled in management they would have discovered the magic of design documents?

Still looking forward to the game because it's not minecraft, no matter how much people fear it is.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile

The Terraria people are making a Space game which is frankly A LOT like Terraria.

Just a reminder that this is false - there's only one guy from the Terraria team and his job was art there. The rest are new people.

Also, like every game, I'll give this one a chance. Minecraft turned out well IMO and even if this doesn't completely deliver it will still have the potential to be great.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

What makes you think he didn't? Because Minecraft? the game he started on a whim as a technical demo and feature creeped its way to success? No assumptions that after forming a company with multiple people and at least one guy skilled in management they would have discovered the magic of design documents?

Still looking forward to the game because it's not minecraft, no matter how much people fear it is.

Because minecraft isn't just a game he started on a whim, it's a billion dollar unfinished mess that he works on by adding in cookies and NPC's that have no AI or purpose in the world. All those people at his company, with all their expertises, and none of them were like "hey Minecraft is pretty much our only source of income, maybe we should unbork it?"

It's pretty obvious that Mojang is a company formed around Notch, and what he wants to make and do. Minecraft was his pet project after he hired all those people and as such it was a case of whatever cool thing Notch saw taht week got half-assed into the game. This is his new pet project. I don't see him turning around and saying "hey guys, wanna come ruin my fun?!"

Also as far as I can remember (and I could be wrong) Minecraft was always intended to be a commercial game. I don't think it was ever some abstract tech demo? At least very very early on, like way before multiplayer, it was a game with a laundry list of "coming-soon" features.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Terraria people are making a Space game which is frankly A LOT like Terraria.

Just a reminder that this is false - there's only one guy from the Terraria team and his job was art there. The rest are new people.

Also, like every game, I'll give this one a chance. Minecraft turned out well IMO and even if this doesn't completely deliver it will still have the potential to be great.

Yeah but you settled for what you got rather then Minecraft turning out awesome in its own way.

Also hearing the Spacegame isn't done by the development team of Terraria is actually good news to me. Thanks for informing me, all of a sudden that Space game is a lot more interesting since it isn't done by the guy who thinks Paper Dolls would make excellent bosses *keeps ranting*. Sorry Terraria disapointed me (I got suckered in by its first development video which was a LOT more put together then the game is even now).

I JUST hope, I really really hope, people in general stop being suckered into the idea that Proceedural = good or that proceedural = possitive variety. The sheer amount of games that have proceedural areas that look and place horribly is immense. I think it is because... if you program something to look a certain way then it has flaws... if the game does it itself then those flaws are what makes it interesting. That way we can actually move into improving "proceedural" indie games.

As much as people defend Terraria, you have to admit that most of it wasn't condusive to the gameplay.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.

Eloraam (creator of the RedPower minecraft mod) has something similar, but considering the rest of the mod that already exists, it seems like it will be far more useful.
Eh?
Eh!

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(...) it was a game with a laundry list of "coming-soon" features.

I can't help finding that discussion, and specificaly that sentence, terribly ironical on a bay12 forum...

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

(...) it was a game with a laundry list of "coming-soon" features.

I can't help finding that discussion, and specificaly that sentence, terribly ironical on a bay12 forum...

Eh, I wasn't saying it's a bad thing? I was more referring to the fact that Minecraft was pretty much always intended to be a game, not a tech demo that snowballed into a game.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And I think it fully delivered on what it was supposed to deliver. Everything since has basically been gravy, and I don't begrudge his approach to that.

When you've essentially built a complicated lego set, I don't really mind if you're design principle is "lets add cool new blocks", because all I really want as far as new aspects of the game is some cool new blocks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8