Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Pioneer space sim - a free awesome great space sim worth looking at.  (Read 37482 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneer space sim - a free awesome great space sim worth looking at.
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2021, 07:51:29 pm »

another round of updates was put out last month, the project has actually become much more active of late

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2021, 04:10:42 am »

Interesting, they did an official release early in this month, it's been a long time i haven't tried, time to see what's new
https://pioneerspacesim.net/page/download/

changelog
https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/blob/master/Changelog.txt

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2021, 02:25:39 pm »

There's a lot of visual bugs in this new version, most asteroids i visit have part of their surface disappearing depending on which angle you look at them.
Looking on their github it looks like it's more than only asteroids :
https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/issues/5145

Hopefully they'll manage to fix that soon enough.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2021, 10:38:27 pm »

another may update and it is still rolling along

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2021, 07:11:42 am »

I'm getting sick of autopilot driving my ship into planets.  Time to see if the newest version has fixed that.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2021, 09:40:58 am »

I sure hope they fixed it, it was just interest and game breaking to me, that along the new visual bugs that i ran into in latest version i had used (and that i hope were fixed).

At the time, the very latest build is from 5 days ago, the "artifacts" on the bottom of that page , but no idea how the hell you download it :
https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/actions/runs/1441905849#artifacts

So sadly as the latest release is unfortunately several months old , it's from July:
https://pioneerspacesim.net/page/download/

the changelog to check what's between the old release from July and the current build :
https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/blob/master/Changelog.txt

« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 09:44:51 am by Robsoie »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2021, 01:49:58 pm »

At the time, the very latest build is from 5 days ago, the "artifacts" on the bottom of that page , but no idea how the hell you download it :
https://github.com/pioneerspacesim/pioneer/actions/runs/1441905849#artifacts
You hav to log into github.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2021, 02:38:34 pm »

Thank you !
Managed to get the window installer to give a try to this version.
After the installation, the game window start but close after a second. Puzzling me a bit as nothing in the output.txt and opengl.txt looks wrong.

Then decided to delete the whole Pioneer folder (the one where settings and etc... are saved) from
C:\Users\YourUSERName\Documents\
as it was one that had possibly outdated settings (as the last time i played was, well a long time ago) and maybe old incompatible saved games .

And this time Pioneer launched without problem.
So something to keep in mind in case you encounter this Pioneer launch and close after a couple of seconds problem.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2021, 11:29:04 pm »

Using the latest official release, I'm autodocking with a space station, carrying my first passenger.  I get a warning of a ship nearby, which I ignore.

I see the ship is in front of me in the queue to dock.

My autopilot promptly drives my ship into the ship ahead of me.

...well, the space station message did warn me to watch out for other traffic.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2021, 05:01:09 am »

On current "artifact" build i observed a speed problem with the autopilot : it's much slower than it used to be in my memory even at max time acceleration.
And i think it's not a problem of the program being slower than before but the actual ship speed is slower during the autopilot.

I ran several cargo delivery missions between Mars High (a station in orbit of Mars) and Earth (and some of the space stations there) , and noticed that probably 80% of the time my ship autopilot + autodock arrive -after- the time limit of the mission.

It wasn't like that last time i played a couple of years ago. So either they rebalanced the various ship engines (and so your starting one is too slow for most mission :/) or there's some actual problem.

edit : going back to the official last release from this summer, hopefully it will be better
Flying over the green pastures of Mars (looks like terraformation worked) toward the Mount Olympus when the sun starts rising.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 09:18:58 am by Robsoie »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2021, 10:00:12 am »

I'm using the Pumpkinseed in my current playthrough, so I've had little problem with completing missions on time with Autopilot.  But the ships are slower.
It's part of the rebalancing, which in most other respects is better.  The missions seem to pay better, the ship prices are less outrageous, and trade is more profitable.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2021, 11:12:39 am »

Great to know it's rebalancing, so i guess it will give an incentive in getting better engines.

I remember last time i played that "manual trading" (doing your own cargo run, not doing the cargo run missions) was completely worthless as there was no real way to make a profit as the economy wasn't really an economy at all .

Looking forward to doing cargo run between missions if trade is now profitable.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2021, 12:11:25 pm »

Great to know it's rebalancing, so i guess it will give an incentive in getting better engines.

I remember last time i played that "manual trading" (doing your own cargo run, not doing the cargo run missions) was completely worthless as there was no real way to make a profit as the economy wasn't really an economy at all .

Looking forward to doing cargo run between missions if trade is now profitable.

Well, the courier missions generally pay $700, but you'll likely only earn $100-200 for cargo runs.  But courier missions don't take up cargo space, yet carrying cargo makes you slower since you have more mass to move with the same amount of fuel...
So the rebalancing is working well!

In my current game, I'm trying to get the Galactic Center, so the courier missions are nice but trading cargo is more consistent in getting me where I actually want to go.
Dumping radioactives is enough to cover fuel costs between systems, generally.  Plus the comms now tell you when you're outside the jurisdiction of the stations (and it is safe to dump waste).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2021, 01:28:16 pm »

Very annoying that the game does not tell you if your current ship setup is able to make it into a specific mission before the time limit (unless i'm not looking at the correct place).

I found a juicy package delivery from Mars to a town located on a planet from another system (Delta Eridani) that was +/- 1000 credits (much better than the +/- 100 credits cargo run i have been doing for a while).

Everything went well , though it took a lot of time in max acceleration and when i finally landed on the planet "too late, no money for you".
It's only frustrating as you wasted a huge lot of fuel and time to get there and only discover in the end that your ship had no chance to make it in the time limit (even more annoying when the mission was not classified as "urgent" in which case you would know by default you must improve your starter ship engine before even trying).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 01:31:48 pm by Robsoie »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2021, 02:05:45 pm »

1) Load up on radioactives and 1 hydrogen
2) Put in hyperdrive coordinates
3) Take off, and aim your ship at the offending settlement
4) MOST IMPORTANTLY: RAISE YOUR LANDING GEAR
5) Drop the radioactives, and open fire with your laser
6) Initiate Illegal Hyperspace Jump

Revenge is served

Also, you can pump a Hydrogen out of the fuel tank for hyperspace travel.  Or pump a hydrogen into the fuel tank if you are out of fuel and have one in storage.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11