Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Pioneer space sim - a free awesome great space sim worth looking at.  (Read 37524 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneer space sim - a free awesome great space sim worth looking at.
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2014, 06:55:16 pm »

a few more updates, some more ships have been added, there is a scripting language, but content remains the biggest downfall for this game, that and the inability of players to setup, own operate colonies, mining platforms and fuel harvestors

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2018, 09:15:07 am »

project is still going, could always do with more contributors, looks like they are ramping up for another windows and osx release in the next month

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2019, 06:23:09 am »

they are close it seems to macOX and Linux builds being a thing again.  And it seems theres been an uptick in activity in the last month they are moving towards another stable update, so seems pioneer is moving again and playing as good as ever

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2019, 05:44:05 pm »

Huh, I was just thinking about this game a few days ago. Thought I had forgotten the name, though I got the first letter right.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2019, 02:19:42 am »

a new version on feb 4 was put out, basically a 12 month stable release. There has been a recent resurgence in contributions of code = seems a few developers are chipping in code so the project is moving ahead, t get the latest stable build https://pioneerspacesim.net/#slide0

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2019, 04:41:08 pm »

Seems that the devs have some new hands on board and that the Linux and mac versions will be getting regular updates as well

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2019, 03:05:50 pm »

I've been playing this lately.  I most enjoy playing as a garbage man, getting paid to load up radioactives and dumping them in empty systems, like the Malons in Star Trek Voyager.  I'm thinking of buying a fuel scoop so I can make money both ways.  Dump some radioactives, steal some hydrogen, I'm sure my player will be long gone by the time that causes any issues.  Might even be able to explore a bit with that setup.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2019, 04:19:37 pm »

I haven't played it since 2013 so i gave a try to the current version and i was completely lost, it has changed a lot, the interface is very different.

Looks like i'll have to rebind keys as it's really not how i remembered them , managed to crash several times (looks like the ship is much more resilient than in 2013 in which a crash was the end of the line, there despite bumping on the ground many time before i finally found the keys i needed it was still going :D) on Mars at Cydonia in which i started.

Looks like by default all the visual settings are on low, probably why i didn't noticed much elevations but even when setting both fractal and detail on high when i was trying to land on Phobos i didn't noticed it getting as "bumpy" as i remembered it to be when i last played.
they probably toned down those options for performance.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll have to explore more to see how stations are, are there pirates and space polices now ?

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2019, 06:42:25 pm »

the game is still much in progress, anyone can contribute to modding or even the underlying game if u have dev / programming experience.  There are npc pirates and police but I think that's one aspect of the game that needs open source contributors to get on board.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2019, 09:12:41 pm »

Stations are a lot easier than planets for takeoff.  As in the station will automatically kick you into space away from the gravity of the station and you won't die.  With planets you have to tilt your ship upwards and hit the thrust as hard as you can.  I'm sure there's a better way to take off from planets fuel wise, but I'd rather not die that often to find out.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2019, 06:06:25 am »

yah theres still a lot of Pull requests needing work around planetary stuff and a few mathematical equations around gravity etc

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2019, 08:06:44 am »

Stations are a lot easier than planets for takeoff.  As in the station will automatically kick you into space away from the gravity of the station and you won't die.  With planets you have to tilt your ship upwards and hit the thrust as hard as you can.  I'm sure there's a better way to take off from planets fuel wise, but I'd rather not die that often to find out.

If you use the autopilot (in those new version it's as simple as a right click on your currently target destination and select to either dock or fly in vicinity) , it does not matter anymore if it's a station or planetary takeoff, it's all automated as in old frontier elite.
And i guess it's using the most fuel efficient way or it would be just silly :D

EDIT

Some flight around Hades canyons after coming from the nearby New Hope planet

That new UI in Pioneer seems to have lot of problem scaling correctly with the windowed resolutions, and all the texts and numbers are really small, i wish there was a way to increase them a bit.

note : in set speed flight mode, you set your wanted speed with enter and shift , and to actually know what set speed you are, you need to hoover the mouse on the actual icon (the ones in which you switch between manual control and set speed, that's not really good design considering you want to see that set speed at all time.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 12:49:41 pm by Robsoie »

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2019, 06:12:05 am »

the graphics are quite amazing at the higher resolutions.  More procedural content would be nice and even elites dangerous vechiles would be a nice addition, and if frontier can achieve some amazing stuff with a 30 man dev team, im sure if the pioneer gathers some additional volunteers that some interesting things could be achieved

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2019, 07:27:47 am »

I was wondering if taking full cargo of radioactive wastes from the space station orbiting New Hope and dumping it in a crater of the very nearby planet Hades would be detected , so after doing the deed i landed on Hades own orbiting station and checked the space police to see :

And i saw ... how random their random face generator can be

I guess this part of the game really need some tweaks :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:00:52 am by Robsoie »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2019, 09:59:11 pm »

I was wondering if taking full cargo of radioactive wastes from the space station orbiting New Hope and dumping it in a crater of the very nearby planet Hades would be detected , so after doing the deed i landed on Hades own orbiting station and checked the space police to see :

And i saw ... how random their random face generator can be

I guess this part of the game really need some tweaks is absolutely perfect :D

Fixed that for you.  ;D

Also, I experimented with dumping radioactives away from inhabited planets, and it seems to work.  Dunno what system the game uses for detecting stuff like that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11