Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Building a MUD - Anime Western Fantasy  (Read 5407 times)

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
Re: Building a MUD - Anime Western Fantasy
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 01:20:42 pm »

Oh god no, I was talking more like Stonesoup or Cataclysm with a fantasy theme.
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 06:02:49 am »

Spoiler: Current Results (click to show/hide)

Current results. I wasn't expecting such a resurgence in activity. I'll leave it up until midnight GMT and then take it down tomorrow sometime.

Oh god no, I was talking more like Stonesoup or Cataclysm with a fantasy theme.

It'd have to be the central focus of the game and that's unlikely here. I'll definitely consider it as part of demonology and maybe the magic system, though. Fire mages having their hair turn into fire is thematic and cool.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 04:49:27 am »

Final results. The red line is the cut off point. For races, that means those races will, 99%, not be included, at least not until a time in the distant future. For "classes", that means as much development time as is humanly possible will be focused above the red line.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 08:07:00 pm »

PTW and how can this be an anime world if it doesn't bear the art style? Wouldn't it just be a punk-fantasy-western world? And just how outlandish do you plan the random generations to be?

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 09:55:08 pm »

Spoiler: The Factions (click to show/hide)

Summarisation
Great Peace: The reason everyone can travel between the nations. May collapse depending on what players do. Skirmishes over disputed terrain still allowed.
Commonwealth: Primarily human, some sentient constructs. Have humanity as THE race under the one true god.
Dead Clans: Primarily human, lots of undead, some dwarves. Undeath is part of culture and religion. Imagine undead vikings who love their human descendants and you're getting the right idea.
Wolf Khaganate: Primarily orcs, lots of goblins. Essentially fantasy Mongol Empire riding wolves. Very quickly "civilising" themselves.
Forest Folk: Plant people, catpeople, minotaurs, harpies. Those who dwell amongst the trees. Druidry.
Serpent Cities: Kobolds, dragonfolk, lamia. Ruled by Dragon Kings. Only reason they haven't collapsed into internal warring is that it'd probably mean the end of the world if all the dragons went at it.

Any comments, guys?

PTW and how can this be an anime world if it doesn't bear the art style? Wouldn't it just be a punk-fantasy-western world? And just how outlandish do you plan the random generations to be?

It's a matter of conventions. For me, stuff like world-spanning adventurer's guilds (where players can sign up and get quests) is a fundamental part of anime's western fantasy. It might be a better idea to call it Japanese Western Fantasy. If you watch anime, watch Gate (coming out later this month and the manga is excellent, hell watch it even if you don't watch anime.) and you'll get a rough idea of what I mean.

The random generators aren't going to be DF-levels of out there. They'll probably be pretty constrained.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:02:09 pm by Rex Invictus »

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 10:06:14 pm »

Spoiler: The Factions (click to show/hide)

Summarisation
Great Peace: The reason everyone can travel between the nations. May collapse depending on what players do. Skirmishes over disputed terrain still allowed.
Commonwealth: Primarily human, some sentient constructs. Have humanity as THE race under the one true god.
Dead Clans: Primarily human, lots of undead, some dwarves. Undeath is part of culture and religion. Imagine undead vikings who love their human descendants and you're getting the right idea.
Wolf Khaganate: Primarily orcs, lots of goblins. Essentially fantasy Mongol Empire riding wolves. Very quickly "civilising" themselves.
Forest Folk: Plant people, catpeople, minotaurs, harpies. Those who dwell amongst the trees. Druidry.
Serpent Cities: Kobolds, dragonfolk, lamia. Ruled by Dragon Kings. Only reason they haven't collapsed into internal warring is that it'd probably mean the end of the world if all the dragons went at it.

Any comments, guys?

It's a matter of conventions. For me, stuff like world-spanning adventurer's guilds (where players can sign up and get quests) is a fundamental part of anime's western fantasy. It might be a better idea to call it Japanese Western Fantasy. If you watch anime, watch Gate (coming out later this month and the manga is excellent, hell watch it even if you don't watch anime.) and you'll get a rough idea of what I mean.

The random generators aren't going to be DF-levels of out there. They'll probably be pretty constrained.

Thanks for letting me know, and I'll be sure to keep Gate in mind.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 12:08:24 pm »

Spoiler: The Non-Human Factions (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2]