Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: 100 Heroes - A roguelike(like?) in development - v0.15 .exe available  (Read 54035 times)

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
Re: 100 Heroes - A roguelike(like?) in development - v0.11 .exe available
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2012, 03:57:36 pm »

This is so strange - this idea is practically(not quite) what I've been wanting to make for a while now. Though my programming skills are WAY too low to really get any kind of result. Though seeing your game though has inspired me to try making some little prototypes. I've now got some "heroes" wandering around a map! So thanks for the inspiration - it is my first try at making some kind of "AI" (I really feel like AI is a little extreme a name for it right now though, haha)

I definitely want to see what you do next with this.

I found some of the interfaces a little confusing, and when heroes make offers to you I was trying to slow the time down etc, but refused the offer - it might be wise to change it from any button refusing it. Also I couldn't tell which shop was mine - am I being blind? I kinda liek the idea of knowing which one is your :)
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2012, 04:20:31 am »

I found some of the interfaces a little confusing, and when heroes make offers to you I was trying to slow the time down etc, but refused the offer - it might be wise to change it from any button refusing it. Also I couldn't tell which shop was mine - am I being blind? I kinda liek the idea of knowing which one is your :)

That's a good point regarding the offers. I'll make a note to change this. Any specific issues with specific interfaces, or just general all round confusion? Any thoughts as to what in particular you are struggling with?

Your shop is the 'bright yellow' one, as compared to the other blue shops. I tried to make it stand out from the others, with the additional option of entering your shop by pressing 'i'.

Thanks for the feedback, and likewise, I'd be interested to see progress if/when you get anywhere with your project and are willing to share :)

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2012, 08:10:55 am »

I can't put my finger on what it was really, it may have just been getting used to it. As soon as I'm aware why I'll tell you :) for now, just keep making cool things! :D

I played it again today and also noticed that 5 is speed up and 6 is slow down, I naturally go for the right hand side to speed up and left to slow down, not entirely sure if that's just me though :D

and yes, I see the yellow shop :) .

Oh my project probably won't ever reach public eyes :P I'm making it in AS3, and I've only been half heartedly learning it(AS3 and programming in general) for 7ish months! But if it ever gets anywhere I'll give it a share :)
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2012, 12:23:56 pm »

I can't put my finger on what it was really, it may have just been getting used to it. As soon as I'm aware why I'll tell you :) for now, just keep making cool things! :D

Thanks! I do try and make it at least semi-sensible, if you feel like letting me know what gets you down at any point, I'm all ears :)

Quote from: lemmily
I played it again today and also noticed that 5 is speed up and 6 is slow down, I naturally go for the right hand side to speed up and left to slow down, not entirely sure if that's just me though :D

Yeah, yeah ... you know '5' for ... fast and ... '6' for slow ???

Okay, I admit. It was completely arbitrary (probably based on the order I added them to the key handling function, rather than any appliance of common sense), and in truth I have often thought about why they were the wrong way round, without doing anything about it.

Quote from: lemmily
Oh my project probably won't ever reach public eyes :P I'm making it in AS3, and I've only been half heartedly learning it(AS3 and programming in general) for 7ish months! But if it ever gets anywhere I'll give it a share :)

Ok, cool. Good luck with it, nevertheless!

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2013, 06:17:04 am »

Thanks everyone that voted for 100 Heroes in the ROTY poll!

It's fair to say that I was thrilled that I got another vote (other than mine), let alone another 10, and I can't help but think some people might have voted for this game by accident  :)

I've set up a blog with the intention of jotting down thoughts for the development of the game over the next year, as well as posting about any further progress that gets made (although I imagine a new addition to the family in a couple of months might get in the way somewhat).

But for now, I'm trying to use it to spread a bit of love for some of the Roguelikes which performed about as well as 100 Heroes. I'm going to be posting about PRIME, Steam Marines, Rogue's Tale, LambdaRogue and Cargo Commander as I have a play about with them over the next few weeks or so.

Honourable mention also to Castle Dungeon, which I can't play as it is Kindle only.

Check it out here:

http://hundredheroes.blogspot.co.uk/

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2013, 09:19:42 am »

I read your blog posts over the holidays - great writing. It's good to see more interesting people writing about roguelikes.

As for the game: I will check it out again tonight when I come back from work. My new responsibilities along with my MA thesis leave me little time to rogue'n'roll.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2013, 11:26:26 am »

Congrats on the new addition to the family incoming mendonca! I am working on a new pathfinding algorithm to work with fully procedural content that is coming along promisingly. I also got a new laptop so will hopefully be able to actually do what I offered soon :P I will need to redownload the source since I think that got wiped in the old laptop's HDD crash, which means that all of my notes vanished with it :(

Good luck all around, with the familyMembers++, your bloggity, and with the game :) Hopefully it doesn't take a year to bring it to v1.0 :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2013, 02:30:35 am »

I am always happy when the Roguelike genre is expanded to incapsulate new things. Rather then the same things with stuff tacked on.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2013, 04:05:26 am »

I read your blog posts over the holidays - great writing. It's good to see more interesting people writing about roguelikes.

As for the game: I will check it out again tonight when I come back from work. My new responsibilities along with my MA thesis leave me little time to rogue'n'roll.

Thank you!

If you mean Rogue's Tale, I would recommend giving it a shot. It's brutal, though, and once you accept the fact that only a fraction of characters will leave the first level (that fraction seems to be higher for me if I start off with high agility) then it is enjoyable.

There is a high level of polish though and its easy to play - so there isn't the normal friction associated with actually playing the game. It eases the pain somewhat.

Congrats on the new addition to the family incoming mendonca! I am working on a new pathfinding algorithm to work with fully procedural content that is coming along promisingly. I also got a new laptop so will hopefully be able to actually do what I offered soon :P I will need to redownload the source since I think that got wiped in the old laptop's HDD crash, which means that all of my notes vanished with it :(

Good luck all around, with the familyMembers++, your bloggity, and with the game :) Hopefully it doesn't take a year to bring it to v1.0 :D

That sounds rather interesting! As in, pathing through arbitrary 3d spaces? Any links to show off progress, or is it all behind closed doors?

And thanks for the good wishes! I would really like to get some more progress on the game done so I can show it off to the little 'un, but I suppose I probably have at least four years before it will mean anything to them :)

I am always happy when the Roguelike genre is expanded to incapsulate new things. Rather then the same things with stuff tacked on.
Hear hear. There's nothing more depressing to me than somebody taking the time out of their day to declare something which is clearly related to the Rogue family of games (for whatever reasons) isn't actually a Roguelike. See ToME coverage on RPS yesterday for a wonderful example - there were several comments declaring that is wasn't, in fact, a Roguelike.

I suspect we are at a time now when a significant portion of the people who play / develop / follow Roguelikes have never actually played Rogue (I know I haven't) and therefore - to me - as time moves on drawing a line based on the obvious origin of the term 'Rogue-like' becomes increasingly meaningless. It's probably an inclusive vs. exclusive viewpoint.

I could probably go on for a while about this, but I won't.

The point is I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment.

On a slightly related note, a post has gone up on my blog today regarding Cargo Commander, which is pretty fair game for NOT being a Roguelike. But 10 people thought it was one of the best Roguelikes of 2012, so that's good enough for me. It's a very fun game, funny, and well designed - but too fast-paced for my addled brain.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2013, 07:42:21 pm »

That sounds rather interesting! As in, pathing through arbitrary 3d spaces? Any links to show off progress, or is it all behind closed doors?

It can support arbitrary 3D spaces, but currently I am restricting it to just 2D since I need to work out a few kinks still. It's not really behind closed doors, but it currently uses waaaay too much CPU time since it is doing some path smoothing and that part is rather inefficient hehe.
If you have a windows computer you'll be able to see the current demo here. It's not much to look at since I haven't worked on speeding up node generation enough to make it work with larger areas. There are I think 500 entities pathing around the grid avoiding the obstructions in their way. They do not currently avoid each other though, which will be needed for a later stage in the AI development. The threading system also isn't optimized which tends to increase CPU usage a bit as well. Runs my Dual core desktop up to 90% load and my Quad core laptop to 70% load.

I will post up a new version in the next few days once I get the current kinks worked out. Hopefully it will be able to support an area some 5-10x larger than the current with a lower CPU time usage :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2013, 07:13:59 am »

Replayed this again. Man, I wish there was a way to predict what the heroes will need so I can grab some bestsellers from the auction house or buy out my opponents stock and sell it for more.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2013, 11:12:56 am »

Replayed this again. Man, I wish there was a way to predict what the heroes will need so I can grab some bestsellers from the auction house or buy out my opponents stock and sell it for more.

Cool stuff! Glad to hear you're playing it again :)

You can predict, in a fashion, what any particular Hero might want by inspecting their inventory. They basically try and sate a desire for 1 no. weapon, 1 no. armor and 1 no. clothing. If they are short one of those, you can be pretty sure that is what they are shopping for.

There is a chance (if the Hero belongs to a scroll using faction) that they will be looking for a scroll, so if they are 'shopping' and they appear to be adequately equipped - they are probably after a scroll.

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2013, 05:59:16 pm »

Hmm, will try that tomorrow morning when I will have a bit of time for viedogames.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2013, 09:36:44 pm »

Sounds neat. I'll have try it out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lecavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2013, 08:41:57 pm »

I'm really liking this game, but I keep getting a bug when I try to go to the Auction house. (I've seen this in 4 of 5 games, usually sometime in Feb.)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ahundredheroes.py", line 8331, in <module>
  File "ahundredheroes.py", line 7587, in handle_keys
  File "ahundredheroes.py", line 6129, in auction_house_welcome
  File "ahundredheroes.py", line 6549, in auction_house_interface
TypeError: 'int' object is not subscriptable
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11