Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: 100 Heroes - A roguelike(like?) in development - v0.15 .exe available  (Read 54088 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Heroes - A roguelike(like?) in development - v0.11 .exe available
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2013, 07:34:33 am »

I'm really liking this game, but I keep getting a bug when I try to go to the Auction house. (I've seen this in 4 of 5 games, usually sometime in Feb.)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ahundredheroes.py", line 8331, in <module>
  File "ahundredheroes.py", line 7587, in handle_keys
  File "ahundredheroes.py", line 6129, in auction_house_welcome
  File "ahundredheroes.py", line 6549, in auction_house_interface
TypeError: 'int' object is not subscriptable

I think a monster may have sacked the auction house, as you seem to be trying to enter using the keyboard, and it's possible it isn't there anymore. I'm pretty sure I've fixed this little annoyance up in my version, I'll make an effort in the next few days to try and get it up - although there may be not be many changes - my 2 week old daughter isn't too keen on me wasting my spare time coding, and I doubt she will be for a while, so I'll do it anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, it's nice to hear people playing this! :)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2013, 09:03:46 am »

:O Congrats on the new addition to the family! ^_^
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

lecavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2013, 06:47:24 pm »

I'm glad you're still developing it... and I totally understand as far as your daughter is concerned.

I was most interested in this game because I had been working with a concept (circa 2002) that was sort of similiar, but I couldn't figure out a way to make it compelling.  In my concept, you played a God -- but the shop keeper is probably alot more interesting.  Unfortunately, my game was written to run within a mud-engine (MUDOS or LIMA) and think that's mostly out-of-style now.  Anyway, recently picked up libtcod and saw your game referenced in some forums.

Really great job -- even if I'm pretty awful at the game so far..

I think the bug is happening when the auction house runs out of items and I still try to enter it anyway...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2013, 01:56:04 pm »

Well think about it Lecavian a shopkeeper is almost ingenius.

Think about any RPG (Either videogame or Pen and Paper) and what was always at the center of every single campaign?

The Shops!

You could essentially control entire adventures just by how you run your shops if you tried.

lecavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2013, 07:25:27 pm »

Yeah, so true.  Really wish I had thought of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2013, 02:14:07 pm »

I've seen a few RPG shop games and one where you affect the flow of battle with your shop (but to be truthful that game feels more like you are equipping them rather then you are selling them things, heck you even take THEIR loot) yet none of them take the sort of possition this game does.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2013, 10:05:53 am »

I love this game.  I claim the high score.  I lost to incompetence.  My inventory was full of items that would bring me a nice profit.  I had just barely enough gold for the item in question.  I bought it.  Then I looked at the date.  It was the 30th, and the taxman took away all my stuff as punishment for incompetency at the end of the month.  Could we have a bank?  A guy who gives out loans, so you don't automatically lose when your goods are worth more than taxes. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I claim the High Score for this game.  You should never use the contracts.  Just buy stuff from the merchants and guilds.  And never forget to identify items. 

lecavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2013, 01:18:15 pm »

Furthest I got was late August, but I managed to crash before I could get a high score.  I think I had levelled up 4 or 5 times.  Heroes were absolutely destroying dungeons (within a day or two of the dungeon being opened), which seemed sort of strange.  It had been about a month since the last time I had seen an item I hadn't identified.

Sooo... yeah, I really love it... and the "just one more day" or just "one more month" appeal is really strong.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2013, 07:47:53 pm »

Dang it, you got to August, I need to beat that. 

Edit: I played another game and the monsters got me in July.  Of note is a bug.  I found a weapon and a scroll worth zero gold.  I made 40 gold with the scroll. 

It was interesting, as my heroes seemed to be made out of glass this run.  They died extremely often.  The first monster to spawn rampaged through the town, destroying about half in mid march. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:11:53 pm by alamoes »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2013, 09:51:20 pm »

ptw. this looks interesting

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2013, 09:08:23 am »

alamoes, congratulations on the high score, that truly is phenomenal! :)

And also, lecavian, I'm really happy and a little surprised this game made it to August! I love it :D

From a development point of view, I am all for 'banks' as a core feature. Sounds pretty reasonable. I'll get to thinking about the cost of borrowed money and the circumstances upon which the town money lender will lend you money, but that sounds like a good idea.

It's also evident that I will need a good few hours to re-acquaint myself with the code (I haven't looked at it in 4 months or so) and needless to say any further development isn't going to happen particularly quickly, at the moment (busy work and homelife) but I love to see people actually playing this, and it gives me massive amounts of motivation to actually work on it! (If only I could lose my job!  ;))

lecavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2013, 05:38:51 pm »

Good news... it is possible to make it to the 2nd year. ;-)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2013, 09:54:12 pm »

PTW since I just tried this and it scratches quite an itch.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 03, 2013, 03:50:57 am »

Thanks for showing interest, guys :)

I'm getting back in to the swing of things again here, funny how it seems to go in 6 month cycles. Setting aside half an hour to an hour a day to plug away at new code.

Currently in the process of breaking the hero 'AI' to put it back together again. Starting to implement sales metrics, a town overseer (The Mayoress), rewriting contracts (including generic non-seen contracts implemented via the mayoress and her noticeboard) as well as personality-based decision making and augmentations to shops (might manifest as simple 'signs' in the first instance). It will need a whole new dungeon-crawling set of logic as well, and I am tending towards keeping heroes in town far more than currently. Drivers to go underground should come from the needs of the town - or for glory-seeking heroes (Barbarians) but by and large a Mage would be stupid to go down on their own just for kicks (unless the drive for knowledge can't be met by the shops in town).

Also trying to design a system so that heroes group together and go down in Parties, but not outside of concept for that one yet.

Remains to be seen how it will all work, but hopefully you will start to see real patterns emerging in the behaviour of certain types of heroes in the town, directly affected by the behaviour of your shop (e.g. social heroes will be more inclined to visit busy shops, antisocial heroes will be more inclined to visit quiet shops etc.) and things like contracts will be more useful (if not necessary) to get any signficant dungeon / hero behaviour.

(Unchecked dungeons will be dangerous as they generate monsters, but on the other hand the Mayoress should also exist to try and deal with those, with the available resources of the town).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2013, 04:15:45 am »

Does that mean dungeons will be bigger and tougher to beat in general?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11