Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: 100 Heroes - A roguelike(like?) in development - v0.15 .exe available  (Read 53831 times)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
Re: 100 Heroes - A roguelike(like?) in development - v0.10 .exe available
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2012, 10:59:31 am »

The Monster Hunter contracts might need a little work also. In my last few plays through the game I had a few monsters on screen at once and I was throwing up contracts as soon as they spawned for about $50 each. There were 5 heroes in town shown as healthy that weren't really doing anything but about half of the shops got destroyed (as well as the Auction House) before any of my contracts got taken up. I think that monster hunt contracts might need to take some priority so that the game can last a bit longer or have the heroes more likely to want to kill the monsters sans contract more often. Have only had a single monster get killed outside of a contract before.

What conditions are there currently for a dungeon leveling up? Is it related to hero death count, or the number of monsters? Or something entirely different?
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2012, 11:18:00 am »

Yea, lost a game to a monster attacking, destroying three buildings before me.  For some reason the heroes did no think to kill it.  I also have trouble starting, should I just buy as much as I can or put up contracts?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2012, 11:34:26 am »

Yea, lost a game to a monster attacking, destroying three buildings before me.  For some reason the heroes did no think to kill it.  I also have trouble starting, should I just buy as much as I can or put up contracts?

I guess that is just what happes when you have a town full of antiheros.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2012, 11:59:39 am »

@bluejello: What I have been doing lately is buying up really cheap stuff and making sure to put in a $1 bid on anything that comes through the auction house. The low bid is because usually I don't have a lot of excess cash lying around aside from what I need to fulfill my open contracts, and if an item isn't bid on by the end of the day it is immediately fed to a dragon and thus destroyed. So I go around to all of the shops and buy up anything less than $10 and then start examining it over the next few days to get their properties revealed to me. Sometimes I get lucky and end up buying something worth $15 - $20 which means I got a really really good deal. Most of the time it is actually worth what I payed for it, and rarely it is something crappy like a kitchen knife or an itchy shirt. Something to watch out for if you go the $1 bid route is to immediately reprice the item if you win since it is put into your shop's inventory for sale at $1. Usually I can get a good profit from doing this, around 10-15 is common with the maximum (that I have gotten) profit of about $80 from a spell book that I jacked the price up on.

@Neonivek: yeah that annoys me, damn antiheroes! They need the shops to sell their lootz to, and to buy more crap! >:( They should all want to gang up on the monsters. If not for fame then for the lootz :D
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2012, 12:43:47 pm »

The hero intelligence question warrants a more detailed response, but in a nutshell - they are REALLY DUMB, and needs work. It's especially highlighted with the monsters, because I haven't put in too many mechanics around them yet.

What the current logic comes down to is basically a dice roll based on only limited inputs, with actions taken once the hero feels comfortable with his outfit. They also only ever attack monsters under the terms of a contract, at the minute.

In the future there should be a few more routes for heroes to attack monsters:

1) 'Goody two shoes' people from the Church, and adventurous Swashbucklers should go for it, for kicks or out of righteousness..
2) The mayor should start crapping his pants and take out a contract on the monsters, opening up a route for the more selfish characters.
3) I would like more conditions, which aren't anywhere near implemented, such as Summoners with a 'Capture Soul' scroll or something, attempt to go and ... capture their soul ...

Presently, they only attack monsters accidentally if they appear in the shop with them and interrupt their browsing.

Quote from: GalenEvil
What conditions are there currently for a dungeon leveling up? Is it related to hero death count, or the number of monsters? Or something entirely different?

Just hero kills at the minute. They need something like 4 level 1 heroes to advance a level (or 1 level 4 hero). This goes up to 8 equivalent to get from level 2 to level 3.

Quote from: bluejello
I also have trouble starting, should I just buy as much as I can or put up contracts?
Contracts are pretty risky, but can pay off well if you are lucky.

It might be worth bearing in mind that you can normally get away with selling things at 120% of their base value. As long as stock keeps moving, you should be able to generally make at least 20% on it (not always true, depending on whether you get the item for a decent price in the first place).

Also keep an eye on heroes 'shopping' and see what they are shopping for. Are they missing one of weapon/clothing/armor? If they are chances are you just need one of those in stock and if its fairly priced the hero will snap it up. You can get a quick turnaround on stuff by nipping over to the Barbarians or the Fighters to buy something in (lower level shops are more likely to price things a bit low, generally speaking). and hopefully quickly flip it for a profit.

Also if you try and keep plenty of stock in, it maximises the chances of a visiting merchant cleaning you out and giving you a good payday.

And yeah, try and examine those things you win from the auction house. It's possible to get, say, a 'summon lost soul' scroll which can shift to the right hands for up to 120 bucks ...

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2012, 01:07:03 pm »

I have noticed that even if people are interested in a item it goes to the dragons on occasion. just them not having enough money on hand, right?

Bug report in the windows version, has happened a couple times.  Buying a offer from a hero (this time a leather armor).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:15:04 pm by bluejello »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2012, 01:32:53 pm »

I have noticed that even if people are interested in a item it goes to the dragons on occasion. just them not having enough money on hand, right?

Bug report in the windows version, has happened a couple times.  Buying a offer from a hero (this time a leather armor).

Sorry about that bug, it's a typo on my part.  :-[

I'll put up a hotfixed version soon, it's a really silly mistake.

The first one is deliberate, but if you are reporting it as a bug it could maybe be more clear ... Interest at the moment doesn't guarantee a bid (the thinking was that you would just get the rumours of who has been in, looking at the item - not necessarily the total number of bids received - which the Auction House would likely want to keep confidential to maximise their own profits).

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2012, 02:26:41 pm »

Just thought of something! Maybe a way to maximize the view sorta like how DF does it? The running message list at the right side of the screen that tells you when heroes buy from you gets cut off a lot of the time. Or maybe just have a way to increase the resolution so that high resolution monitors don't have really small play areas :P

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2012, 02:29:30 pm »

oh, trying to access the auction house via hotkey crashes the game if the auction house does not exist, makes sense.  And now I lost that level 3 save, ah well, can be expected in early development of a game.

One suggestion: a way to speed up time more than 5 does, and I must be doing something wrong because I have trouble attracting people to my shop, even if it has the lowest prices in town. 

FAKE EDIT: Yea, a increasable resolution would be nice to have, I agree.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2012, 02:39:51 pm »

Just thought of something! Maybe a way to maximize the view sorta like how DF does it? The running message list at the right side of the screen that tells you when heroes buy from you gets cut off a lot of the time. Or maybe just have a way to increase the resolution so that high resolution monitors don't have really small play areas :P

My way of tackling the message issue was going to be - click on either message box to ENLARGE. Right click to shrink.

I could quite easily do a resolution change, in a similar way to Brogue, by having say pgup and pgdn increase / decrease the font that the system is using. This is a good idea, might even mock this up quickly with some scaled versions of the hunderthelden font to see how it looks.

oh, trying to access the auction house via hotkey crashes the game if the auction house does not exist, makes sense.  And now I lost that level 3 save, ah well, can be expected in early development of a game.

Sorry man :( it kills me that there are people ACTUALLY playing this, and it's not working quite properly :)

(I have already fixed this in the dev version, I think)

One suggestion: a way to speed up time more than 5 does, and I must be doing something wrong because I have trouble attracting people to my shop, even if it has the lowest prices in town. 

You aint doing anything wrong, it's just that people aren't 'attracted' to your shop by anything more than chance at the minute. More 'dumb hero' stuff.

I had thought about a variable fast-forward function, it shouldn't be too much to ask I don't think. I'll jot it down to make sure I don't forget.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2012, 05:17:47 pm »

There could also be guards Mendonca who only attack town monsters. Plus possible walls.

That would be a great way town money could matter, but at the same time. Guards are clearly inferior to other heros.

---

Also possible idea for giving dungeons more time. Give heros longer recovery periods. Comming back wounded could put them out for a long time. That also allows you to have more heros in town.

Either that or make it so dungeons are less uniform. So that no starting hero can reasonably beat even a starting dungeon (but yeah that isn't exactly a fix >_<) because the final floors ramp up the difficulty. Either that or floors need to be "defeated" and heros who arn't powerful enough can lose time trying to finish a very difficult floor.

Final possible idea is also allowing dungeons to be "seeds" so to speak... or rather dungeons can just sit there closed and open more powerful then normal.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 10:47:18 pm by Neonivek »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: 100 Heroes - A roguelike(like?) in development - v0.11 .exe available
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2012, 05:49:04 pm »

Found a bit of time to post up a small release which should squash the couple of silly gamebreakers in there.

Also adds a few small new things, just to keep any thoughts of complete stability in question.

Release Notes

bluejello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2012, 10:20:34 pm »

For contracts, there should be a way to cancel it after posting it. would be a nice feature to have if you can no longer pay the contract or do not want to have it pop up when you are going to not accept it anyways. 

Score of 266, died to the tax man, evil being that he is.  Highest score I have got yet, survived until April 1... 

There was a period of time where there was only one dungeon, but that did not last long.  Had a couple contracts not pay out, most ended up even and a couple came out ahead so decent risk vs reward for contract that time.

No crashes, but I think I saw my money go up a couple times for no apparent reason, couldn't find out what caused it though.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2012, 12:25:35 am »

Cool :) nice score!

I agree on the contract thing, one thing that I haven't got round to putting in yet. It'll likely go in when I do more on contracts again, hopefully soonish.

Oh yeah, and Heroes now have to pay a small rent if they stay overnight at your shop ...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2012, 01:32:38 am »

I will say that the start of the game is both too slow and too fast at the same time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11