Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarven Children - Worse than the kids at Walmart!  (Read 19923 times)

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Dwarven Children - Worse than the kids at Walmart!
« on: March 28, 2012, 01:38:00 pm »

This is mostly a rant, but I'd also like some opinions here.  Pretty much every adult in my fort is ecstatic, with a few happy and about 2 just okay.  However my children are almost all in tantrums, I'd say about 15 out of my 40 some are going around punching things, wrecking shit.  My farms have to be replanted every 10 minutes or so.  My commander doesn't do anything, because they are children(I guess?).  I wish he would go over and bop them (really hard) with his crossbow.  Jamming something through something.  BUT NOOO, So I'm stuck with all these little assholes that are a bigger threat than the siege outside right now.

How do you guys curb this?
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Haigen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Children - Worse than the kids at Walmart!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 01:41:32 pm »

Trap kids one by one in a room with the fortress vampire?

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 01:43:12 pm »

Might be because they have bad thoughts about not having clothes.  I just started stockpiling extra clothing, and the problem disappeared for me.

MetalHead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 01:43:35 pm »

Dig a new area toward the bottom of your fort and put a burrow that only covers this new area labelled 'playground' or something like that.  Make it sealable with a drawbridge.

Once the little rascals have all wandered into their new playpen (optionally stocked with beds, food and booze/water) seal them in.  Remember to include holes in the top of this room for throwing down additional supplies should they need it, or for flooding with water/magma if you just want them gone.

Simple.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:44:51 pm »

Clothing, that sounds like it is the problem.  But i'd rather my dwarves just stop having children.  Honestly.
My Steam Account

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:46:32 pm »

set the init_d to have 0 children

children always cause problems, I never know what I have to make to keep the stocks ready for one to grow up. Also, they get very unhappy as baby because they don't get a drink of alcohol...
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:54:24 pm »

Ehem.

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 02:01:40 pm »

I had 15 naked children when I made the move from .05 to .06. I did not have any surplus clothing either.
2 adult dwarves started tantruming, and 5 children. No one died or got injured. I lost a lever and a door, which were easily replaced.

Solution: give them clothing.

The tantruming persisted quite a while after I got them clothes, and babies turning into children started tantruming as well

Solution: build a single well-designed mist generator in a deserving location.

As of the past few fortress years, none of the 7 babies that grew up to be children tantrumed anymore. Happy thoughts from mist are enough to compensate. Soon enough, a new child will have their first meal in that splendid dining room, and have it's first booze, and will be ecstatic like everyone else.

Conclusion: people complaining about bad thoughts from clothing (especially for children) are overreacting a bit IMO. They need to give this new situation a chance before asking for it to be nerfed. I think you have grown a bit too accustomed to how easy it has been the past versions to keep dwarves happy.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 02:08:59 pm »

Or the fact that 80 some children are hard to clothe when I have 1 birth every minute, if not more.  Turned the child cap down so hopefully I can actually manage it.

Swear I have about 200 babies.
My Steam Account

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 02:11:24 pm »

Or the fact that 80 some children are hard to clothe when I have 1 birth every minute, if not more.  Turned the child cap down so hopefully I can actually manage it.

Swear I have about 200 babies.

I can agree that that is *a bit much*
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 02:16:04 pm »

Once Toady comes out with the next version this won't be a problem since he removed the naked thoughts from children since the clothing part of the program doesn't like them as much.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 02:20:41 pm »

I solved the problem by having a bunch of peasants *accidentally* die, the clothing was distributed amongst everyone and happy thoughts were had.  'Unrelated' question, can lavafalls generate happiness like waterfalls?
My Steam Account

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 02:21:38 pm »

Ehem.

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

sigged.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 02:28:39 pm »

I solved the problem by having a bunch of peasants *accidentally* die, the clothing was distributed amongst everyone and happy thoughts were had.  'Unrelated' question, can lavafalls generate happiness like waterfalls?

They generate plenty of happiness and excitement, but it isn't for the dwarves.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 02:44:17 pm »

I haven't really had a problem with the babies growing into children, but then I started afresh.  They seem to have a grace period once they hit being a child and dash off to the clothing closet where they spend their time joyfully rummaging around in the +pig tail fiber socks+.
Pages: [1] 2 3