Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many eggs should creatures lay at a time?

Original amounts (chickens 4-15, crocodiles 20-60)
Something in between.
Modest Mod's current amounts (chickens 2-4, crocodiles 4-8)
Fewer than that.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: Modest Mod 2.2 - Under new management  (Read 145120 times)

gabranth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Modest Mod 2.0 - Now with graphics support!
« Reply #135 on: September 09, 2012, 03:47:53 pm »

Isn't it easier to empty buckets full of frozen water? You just mark the lump of ice for dumping. I suppose bucket-dumping is still a thing I should implement, though. Any suggestions as to which building it should go in?

Finally: To the people who responded to the "Do you use the Modest Mod?" poll with "Yes, but with some tweaks of my own", what tweaks have you made? Just curious.

i didn't try i tried dumping frozen blood out of barrels and dwarfs ignored it and thought buckets did the same and used the trade method and you could put it in the kitchen they usually have sinks for that sort of thing

also the only thing i changed was set everything to [POPULATION_NUMBER:30000:30000] so nothing goes extinct also hunting is less fps draining than breeding animals

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2012, 07:02:04 am »

Finally: To the people who responded to the "Do you use the Modest Mod?" poll with "Yes, but with some tweaks of my own", what tweaks have you made? Just curious.

The only thing I've tweaked in your mod so far is the clutch size; I changed them to about halfway between the normal vanilla values and your mod's values, which I found a bit too low.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2012, 03:30:03 pm »

also the only thing i changed was set everything to [POPULATION_NUMBER:30000:30000] so nothing goes extinct also hunting is less fps draining than breeding animals

Hmm I've never heard of this.  So this would prevent wildlife from going extinct due to overhunting?  If so I'd definitely want to use it, but are there any other side effects?

gabranth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 11, 2012, 09:06:47 am »

they will still go extinct but will take ages and they should't be any side affects as it only affects the amount of creatures the region has in reserve spawn frequency and cluster size is unaffected

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 11, 2012, 10:52:49 am »

they will still go extinct but will take ages and they should't be any side affects as it only affects the amount of creatures the region has in reserve spawn frequency and cluster size is unaffected
But would it effect adventure mode at all?

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 11, 2012, 12:58:46 pm »

Another quick question since I know very little about modding, would I need to change every instance of 'POPULATION_NUMBER' in the various 'creature' files ?

gabranth

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2012, 04:50:57 am »

But would it effect adventure mode at all?

i have no idea i don't do adventure mod sorry

Another quick question since I know very little about modding, would I need to change every instance of 'POPULATION_NUMBER' in the various 'creature' files ?

you can change it for any creature you don't want to go extinct but it will take a while for them to go extinct with default settings so don't expect to notice anything straight away except for fish that can get wiped out very quickly by a single legendary fisherdwarf

Ari Lazarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2012, 01:13:55 pm »

Hey. I noticed you might be looking at extra reactions for adventurer mode. I highly recommend checking the ones used in Dwarf Chocolate - it feels consistent that an adventurer is able to make the same things as workshops with the right setup.
Modest Bodies - Fixes joints for all creatures.

ZawB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2012, 02:04:40 am »

I just installed this mod and I'm loving it, but I noticed that for some reason Plump Helmets aren't naturally growing in the cavern floors. My herbalists aren't gathering them, nor can DFhack Prospect find any. Probably as a consequence, the caravans are bringing absolutely loads of them. I haven't installed seasonal crops, nor do I have any other mods installed. Can something be wrong with Modest Mod?

Ari Lazarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2012, 12:18:18 pm »

I'm playing with MM and my own mod, how deep is the cavern? There are no plants on the 3rd cavern, iirc. I was pretty annoyed when I missed breaching the first one - couldn't get my underground pastures going :/

ZawB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 15, 2012, 12:27:25 pm »

There should be loads of plants in the third cavern. Even a dry cavern without moss should have those red cactus ones. In any case, I've pierced all three in the current fort, which is the first fort I'm doing with MM.

EDIT: All right, a lot of weird stuff gradually started happening. Walls not collapsing when they should have, weird FPS slumps... I reinstalled MM from a backup and now it's working. No clue what I did wrong the first time, but sorry for the trouble.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:11:34 am by ZawB »

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2012, 05:12:27 pm »

Heyo!

I just started using this mod recently, I quite like it. One question though! Is there some way I can separate pearls from other refuse? Or even better, change pearls to be considered gems?
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

Ari Lazarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2012, 01:24:24 pm »

I have some problems as well: it seems the pedestal part of the mod isn't showing up for me for some reason. Is there a particular entry I'm supposed to edit, e.g. custom reactions?

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2012, 05:13:17 pm »

That's pretty cool! I think I might add it as a Modest Module. Maybe just the fish for now, though.

The only thing I've tweaked in your mod so far is the clutch size; I changed them to about halfway between the normal vanilla values and your mod's values, which I found a bit too low.
My clutch sizes are actually pretty arbitrary—I think I just used the square roots of the original values. I'd be happy to change them if people think they're too low. I'll set up a poll to find out.

Hey. I noticed you might be looking at extra reactions for adventurer mode. I highly recommend checking the ones used in Dwarf Chocolate - it feels consistent that an adventurer is able to make the same things as workshops with the right setup.
Dwarf Chocolate and Wanderer's Friend are very nice, but they both go far beyond the strictly necessary. I'm thinking more of things like spinning and weaving (to use the otherwise useless hair of creatures you butcher), food preparation (if you find a honeycomb, catch a fish, etc), and maaaaybe clothes crafting (so you don't have to spend ages pawing through boutiques and enemy corpses).

You can always add Dwarf Chocolate's reaction_adventure_resource.txt file manually, if you really want those reactions.

I just installed this mod and I'm loving it, but I noticed that for some reason Plump Helmets aren't naturally growing in the cavern floors. My herbalists aren't gathering them, nor can DFhack Prospect find any. Probably as a consequence, the caravans are bringing absolutely loads of them. I haven't installed seasonal crops, nor do I have any other mods installed. Can something be wrong with Modest Mod?
I'm playing with MM and my own mod, how deep is the cavern? There are no plants on the 3rd cavern, iirc. I was pretty annoyed when I missed breaching the first one - couldn't get my underground pastures going :/
The only things I've done to the plants are tweak their colours and add reaction classes to some. Plump helmets haven't been changed one bit, except in the Seasonal Crops module (which just changes some seasons and growdurs). Plant_grasses.txt hasn't been touched at all—the file's not even in the download.

If you're ever getting weird bugs like that, it's probably not the mod's fault. MM just doesn't make big enough changes to have that kind of effect. Reinstalling on a fresh set of raws should fix most problems.

I just started using this mod recently, I quite like it. One question though! Is there some way I can separate pearls from other refuse? Or even better, change pearls to be considered gems?
It's weird how you can't set refuse stockpiles to accept pearls or not. You might be able to kludge it by allowing every material except shell in a refuse stockpile, but only accepting mussel and oyster products. Making them into gems might very well be easier: just add [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:ROUGH:NONE] to PEARL_TEMPLATE in material_template_default.txt.

I have some problems as well: it seems the pedestal part of the mod isn't showing up for me for some reason. Is there a particular entry I'm supposed to edit, e.g. custom reactions?
Nope, you just install the module on top of an existing Modest Mod installation and you're good to go. Maybe you overwrote entities_default.txt? The relevant line in the file is "[PERMITTED_BUILDING:PEDESTAL]   added by Igfig - Pedestals module" in the dwarf section.

Finally, I just want to plug Ari Lazarus' Modest Bodies plugin to any of you who haven't seen it yet. It adds joints to many creatures that were lacking them before, and renames body parts to reflect their real-world names. Check it out!

Ari Lazarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2012, 11:31:02 pm »

Dwarf Chocolate and Wanderer's Friend are very nice, but they both go far beyond the strictly necessary. I'm thinking more of things like spinning and weaving (to use the otherwise useless hair of creatures you butcher), food preparation (if you find a honeycomb, catch a fish, etc), and maaaaybe clothes crafting (so you don't have to spend ages pawing through boutiques and enemy corpses).

You can always add Dwarf Chocolate's reaction_adventure_resource.txt file manually, if you really want those reactions.

I've spent a bit of time with both, I suppose it depends on what you mean by strictly necessary - metal products is rare in shops in adv. mode, but somewhat more available in dungeons and keeps. Spinning and weaving definitely make sense and I think are already included. Unfortunately adventurers cannot retrieve honeycombs or fish, from what I can tell. The best you can do would be to have a reaction that transforms ye olde' lungfish into a prepared fish. Then there is leatherworking, stonecrafting, masonry, and so on. Most of this has been done in Dwarf Chocolate hence my recommending it - maybe just ask the mod creator if you can pick and choose the stuff you wanna use :)

Nope, you just install the module on top of an existing Modest Mod installation and you're good to go. Maybe you overwrote entities_default.txt? The relevant line in the file is "[PERMITTED_BUILDING:PEDESTAL]   added by Igfig - Pedestals module" in the dwarf section.
Huh. I must be doing something wrong, cause I have both the entity_default.txt entry as well as the building_pedestal.txt file. @_@ Should I upload a save? It's a custom workshop, right?

Also much thanks for the plug! I do like the idea of 'fixed vanilla' DF mod, and will probably make more of these type of mods in the near future ^_^
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21